And we're back!

Main Menu

The mind boggles

Started by Berkut, June 09, 2011, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:56:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2011, 09:51:55 AM
Heh, this is a silly debate. When you are a first-time parent, chances are you are going to want all the safety advice from actual trained professionals you can get (as opposed to useless advice that tends to get heaped on new parents by the usual suspects). You are going to want your doc to tell you as much as he can. Not all of the precautions are instantly obvious and even smart people make mistakes.

Resenting him because it 'isn't his job' is just odd.

No, I don't think anyone is doing that.

If I wanted advice on how to care for a baby, at the top of my list would be my pediatrician (or rather, at least in the top three, like Monoriu notes I don't think I'd bother him for advice on how to store firearms) for obvious reasons. However, I think I would probably be pretty pissed if my pediatrician demanded answers to questions I felt were none of his business.

Whether the doc was an asshole in the way he went about giving out advice in the OP story by demanding answers (let alone whether a law was a reasonable response to this alleged 'problem'  :lol: ) are seperate issues.

The "debate" I'm referring to is the silly notion that docs have no business advising patients about these matters in the first place.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on June 10, 2011, 08:13:13 AM
There are so many obviously bad second order consequences to legislation like this. How can something like this actually get passed, anywhere???
I think there are two underlying reasons:

1)  Stanley Ann Dunham chose a black dude to get knocked up by.
2)  The product of that knocking up decided to be a Democrat.

That's really all there is to that paranoia, everything else is just a rationalization.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2011, 10:12:49 AM

The "debate" I'm referring to is the silly notion that docs have no business advising patients about these matters in the first place.

They have no business forcing that advice on the patient.

Ed Anger

I blame Dr. Spock for the pussification of parents.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 10, 2011, 10:20:09 AM

Back in your day your parents forced you to walk uphill to school bothways in the snow with a loaded Walther P38 amiright?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 10, 2011, 10:20:09 AM

Back in your day your parents forced you to walk uphill to school bothways in the snow with a loaded Walther P38 amiright?

We were allowed to walk to school, yes.

And we had Brownings.

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2011, 09:55:43 AM
Heh, this is a silly debate. When you are a first-time parent, chances are you are going to want all the safety advice from actual trained professionals you can get (as opposed to useless advice that tends to get heaped on new parents by the usual suspects). You are going to want your doc to tell you as much as he can. Not all of the precautions are instantly obvious and even smart people make mistakes.

Yes, as I have stated earlier in this thread, if I were a parent I will welcome the advice.  I just don't understand why the doctor will want to give out such advice.  He should be seeing his next patient, not talking swimming pool with me.
Maybe he wants to do his job?  :huh: You seem to have an extremely inflexible idea of what a pediatrician's job description is, and assume that it cannot be anything else than what you think it is.  Ever heard the saying: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?"

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2011, 10:25:09 AM

Maybe he wants to do his job?  :huh: You seem to have an extremely inflexible idea of what a pediatrician's job description is, and assume that it cannot be anything else than what you think it is.  Ever heard the saying: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?"

I think my problem is that I consider quick service an important part of good service.  Waiting 2 hours to see a doctor is not fun.  I'll be very pissed if the wait is due to the doctor talking swimming pool and guns with other patients. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2011, 10:30:32 AM
I think my problem is that I consider quick service an important part of good service.  Waiting 2 hours to see a doctor is not fun.  I'll be very pissed if the wait is due to the doctor talking swimming pool and guns with other patients. 

Maybe you shouldn't show up 2 hours before your appointment and maybe you should stop seeing your pediatrician and see a doctor for adults :P

But even with safety discussions here in the US your appointments are rarely longer than 20 minutes...maybe 5 minutes with the doctor.  Mostly he just says 'oh and keep these things in mind to keep your kid safe'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 10:32:58 AM

Maybe you shouldn't show up 2 hours before your appointment and maybe you should stop seeing your pediatrician and see a doctor for adults :P

But even with safety discussions here in the US your appointments are rarely longer than 20 minutes...maybe 5 minutes with the doctor.  Mostly he just says 'oh and keep these things in mind to keep your kid safe'.

Doctors in HK generally take in about twice or three times the number of patients as they should.  Appointment times are always "indicative" only. 

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:56:04 AM

No, I don't think anyone is doing that.

If I wanted advice on how to care for a baby, at the top of my list would be my pediatrician (or rather, at least in the top three, like Monoriu notes I don't think I'd bother him for advice on how to store firearms) for obvious reasons. However, I think I would probably be pretty pissed if my pediatrician demanded answers to questions I felt were none of his business.

I agree. In which case I would find another pediatrician.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

I don't know about the slopes, but the only time I've been received as scheduled to an appointment was the time I was rushed into surgery.

Last time I went to the doctor for a scheduled appointment, I had to spend an hour in his waiting room (15 minutes early, he was 45 minutes late) and it's typically the same thing at the dentist. Of course, if I'm late they'll still charge me even if they were running late themselves. Fucking racket. Soviets.  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2011, 10:35:21 AM
Doctors in HK generally take in about twice or three times the number of patients as they should.  Appointment times are always "indicative" only. 

I figured I was joking with you ;)

But mainly understand that despite what that article may say American Doctors want to get you in and out as soon as they can so they can see more patients.  These discussions on child safety are usually very short.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 10:37:33 AM
I don't know about the slopes, but the only time I've been received as scheduled to an appointment was the time I was rushed into surgery.

Last time I went to the doctor for a scheduled appointment, I had to spend an hour in his waiting room (15 minutes early, he was 45 minutes late) and it's typically the same thing at the dentist. Of course, if I'm late they'll still charge me even if they were running late themselves. Fucking racket. Soviets.  :rolleyes:

Wow that is outrageous.  I hope they at least have a TV and decent magazines in the waiting room.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 10:38:55 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 10:37:33 AM

Wow that is outrageous.  I hope they at least have a TV and decent magazines in the waiting room.

2 copies of Highlights. From 2002.