News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The mind boggles

Started by Berkut, June 09, 2011, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2011, 07:47:45 PM
This really boggles the mind.  You see a doctor if you have an infection, in order to get the drugs that need prescription.  You don't talk to a doctor because you need "advice".  Especially on injury prevention.  That is so outside a doctor's job description that you may as well ask for the safest way to replace a light bulb. 

Um this is a pediatrician.  A Doctor for children.  He is trying to inform the parents about how to kid-proof the house so the child will not injure itself.  Pediatricians inform parents about alot of things like what phase of its developement their child is in and what its needs are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2011, 08:56:42 PM
Do doctors in the west really advise patients about how not to fall down a swimming pool? 

Any idiot can have a child, and that is not a hypothetical. 
So yes - some pediatricians as a practical cautionary measure remind parents of potential household dangers they may not focus on.

Even for adults - doctors may remind patients of the dangers of unhealthy habits.  My doc tells me to cut down on the brandy and exercise more, even though the benefits of such a course of action are not unknown to me.  If that offends me, I have a very handy recourse - I can tell him to go stuff himself and get a new doctor.  What I don't do -- because my health problems do not include a severe case of fascism -- is petition the legislature to take a big dump on the Constitution and order my physician about what he can and cannot say.  You would think the gun nuts of all people should get that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 08:56:38 AM

Um this is a pediatrician.  A Doctor for children.  He is trying to inform the parents about how to kid-proof the house so the child will not injure itself.  Pediatricians inform parents about alot of things like what phase of its developement their child is in and what its needs are.

That is a teacher's job.  I've seen maybe 10-20 pediatricians in my life (I was very weak when I was a kid).  They did nothing except treat my flu or stomach problems. 

I 100% agree that it is insane for the government to legislate about what a doctor can or cannot ask.  That actually sounds like a piece of legislation proposed by the Politburo in Beijing, not the self-proclaimed land of liberty :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2011, 09:34:12 AM
That is a teacher's job.

:huh:

How is a teacher qualified to give health and child safety advice?

But anyway that is idiotic kids do not start school until at the very least 2 1/2.  You probably need information about raising a healthy child before then.

QuoteI've seen maybe 10-20 pediatricians in my life (I was very weak when I was a kid).  They did nothing except treat my flu or stomach problems.

So you remember checkups from when you were a baby and toddler?  I am jealous most of my memories start when I am about 4.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 09:38:10 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2011, 09:34:12 AM
That is a teacher's job.

:huh:

How is a teacher qualified to give health and child safety advice?

But anyway that is idiotic kids do not start school until at the very least 2 1/2.  You probably need information about raising a healthy child before then.

:lol:

I don't think he meant the child's teacher's job.

Education should be good enough that you understand why keeping a loaded and cocked revolver in the kid's playpen might be a bad idea.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:42:26 AM
Education should be good enough that you understand why keeping a loaded and cocked revolver in the kid's playpen might be a bad idea.

I do not remember my common sense classes in school.

But just having a gun anywhere in the house not locked up is dangerous.  Also there are lots of things you do not think of when you have a kid around.  My pediatrician just gave me a sheet with things to keep in mind.  I should have ripped it up and just said I remembered by English classes in High School.

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 09:43:31 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:42:26 AM

I do not remember my common sense classes in school.

But just having a gun anywhere in the house not locked up is dangerous.

If the kid can't find the gun, it will have plenty easy access to knives.  :ph34r:   

Maybe it's a cultural thing. Doctor's orders, and all that. I can't really remember ever having encountered that type of general life-advice from medical practicioners unless it's directly related to a malady. My optician used to scold me over too long hours infront of the computer screen. Of course, it would be equally valid for him to ask me whether I like to stare into the sun for hours on end, but that kind of inquiry would make be a bit puzzled.

But I don't really know how pediatricians work.

Edit: Saw your addition.

QuoteMy pediatrician just gave me a sheet with things to  keep in mind.  I should have ripped it up and just said I remembered by  English classes in High School.

No, you're obviously free to take the advice of your Doctor. However, it just seems outlandish to me that he should refuse service because of a thing like this. Should he also refuse service if they don't want to baby-proof their kitchen cabinets, or install a gate at the stairs?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Heh, this is a silly debate. When you are a first-time parent, chances are you are going to want all the safety advice from actual trained professionals you can get (as opposed to useless advice that tends to get heaped on new parents by the usual suspects). You are going to want your doc to tell you as much as he can. Not all of the precautions are instantly obvious and even smart people make mistakes.

Resenting him because it 'isn't his job' is just odd.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2011, 09:51:55 AM
Heh, this is a silly debate. When you are a first-time parent, chances are you are going to want all the safety advice from actual trained professionals you can get (as opposed to useless advice that tends to get heaped on new parents by the usual suspects). You are going to want your doc to tell you as much as he can. Not all of the precautions are instantly obvious and even smart people make mistakes.

Yes, as I have stated earlier in this thread, if I were a parent I will welcome the advice.  I just don't understand why the doctor will want to give out such advice.  He should be seeing his next patient, not talking swimming pool with me. 

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2011, 09:51:55 AM

No, I don't think anyone is doing that.

If I wanted advice on how to care for a baby, at the top of my list would be my pediatrician (or rather, at least in the top three, like Monoriu notes I don't think I'd bother him for advice on how to store firearms) for obvious reasons. However, I think I would probably be pretty pissed if my pediatrician demanded answers to questions I felt were none of his business.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:48:08 AM
No, you're obviously free to take the advice of your Doctor. However, it just seems outlandish to me that he should refuse service because of a thing like this. Should he also refuse service if they don't want to baby-proof their kitchen cabinets, or install a gate at the stairs?

Ok that would be ridiculous.  He just gives me advice he does not ask me for a report as to the extent I am doing his bidding.  Granted if he did I would tell him I was regardless of whether I was or not.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:56:04 AM
However, I think I would probably be pretty pissed if my pediatrician demanded answers to questions I felt were none of his business.

Then you should get a new pediatrician, not establish a state censorship regime.

What next - if catholics think their priest is being too pushy in confession, should we get a bureaucrat assigned to the booth to audit?  That way we can trash separation along with free speech - wouldn't want to leave any of the First Amendment live and kicking.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2011, 09:59:45 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:48:08 AM

Ok that would be ridiculous.  He just gives me advice he does not ask me for a report as to the extent I am doing his bidding.  Granted if he did I would tell him I was regardless of whether I was or not.

Yup.

QuoteThe scuffle over "docs vs. Glocks" seems to have started when a pediatrician in Ocala  asked the mother of a young child whether she kept guns in the home.  She refused to answer because, as she put it, "whether I have a gun has  nothing to do with the health of my child." When the doctor told her to  find another pediatrician, the women threatened to call a lawyer.

Now, I'm certainly open to the possibility that we're not getting the entire story, but if taken at face value, this Doctor is a fucking asshole and doesn't deserve to keep his license [And before you interject, grumbler, I'll note that this is my opinion on the issue and it clearly has no legal backing, by "deserve" I mean in a moral sense, not any practical one you nit picking son of a whore]

If she refuses to answer questions with immediate medical relevance, I can see why he'd be unable to work with her. This is not such a question.

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2011, 10:06:33 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:56:04 AM
However, I think I would probably be pretty pissed if my pediatrician demanded answers to questions I felt were none of his business.

Then you should get a new pediatrician, not establish a state censorship regime.

What next - if catholics think their priest is being too pushy in confession, should we get a bureaucrat assigned to the booth to audit?  That way we can trash separation along with free speech - wouldn't want to leave any of the First Amendment live and kicking.

No argument there. I don't think anyone in this thread has expressed that they think it is a good law.