News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The mind boggles

Started by Berkut, June 09, 2011, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2011, 07:37:32 PM
I am very confused.  Why would a doctor ask anything about household safety?  :unsure:
Doctors are often used to dispense advice on health and injury prevention in the civilized world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2011, 07:19:01 PM
Wouldn't raising the insurance rates of gun owners make sense, and be socially desirable?

Raising what insurance rates?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2011, 07:40:40 PM
I am very confused.  Why would a doctor ask anything about household safety?  :unsure:
Doctors are often used to dispense advice on health and injury prevention in the civilized world.

This really boggles the mind.  You see a doctor if you have an infection, in order to get the drugs that need prescription.  You don't talk to a doctor because you need "advice".  Especially on injury prevention.  That is so outside a doctor's job description that you may as well ask for the safest way to replace a light bulb. 

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on June 09, 2011, 07:44:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2011, 07:19:01 PM
Wouldn't raising the insurance rates of gun owners make sense, and be socially desirable?
Raising what insurance rates?
Health insurance, for starters.  Homeowner's insurance would be good too.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2011, 07:47:45 PM
This really boggles the mind.  You see a doctor if you have an infection, in order to get the drugs that need prescription.  You don't talk to a doctor because you need "advice".  Especially on injury prevention.  That is so outside a doctor's job description that you may as well ask for the safest way to replace a light bulb.
Hey, you guys talk to doctors when you feel like eating the penis of an endangered animal.  Who are you to say what's right?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2011, 07:57:40 PM
Hey, you guys talk to doctors when you feel like eating the penis of an endangered animal.  Who are you to say what's right?

This.  Like a slope-eyed motherfucker.  HERE HAVE MORE RHINO HORN AND TIGER PENIS OH WAIT THERE ISNT ANY MORE

garbon

Umm preventative medicine?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2011, 05:12:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2011, 04:44:10 PM
Quote from: dps on June 09, 2011, 04:26:41 PM
I think the problem was not so much that he asked, but when she told refused to answer, he basically refused to treat her child and told her to find another pediatrician.  It would seem to me at that point, his proper professional response would have been to explain why he was asking.

Seems he normally answers why he asked that question but didn't because she was such a bitch.  Perhaps he just didn't want to deal with someone like that.

I've no idea, but do private practice docs have any discretion in who they see?

AFAIK, yeah. 

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2011, 08:17:01 PM

Umm preventative medicine?

Doctors are responsible for treating illnesses after they have happened.  Patients engage in preventative medicine ourselves.  Stuff like healthy eating. 

Monoriu

And I find it very, very hard to classify household safety as part of medicine.  There are a gazillion ways in which I can injure myself in my home.  I can fall down from a ladder, I can slip in the bathtub (actually my grandmother died that way), objects not securely fastened can fall down and hit my head, I can improperly use training equipment and sustain injuries...can I ask a doctor about any of these?  I'll be (rightly) regarded as crazy if I do.

Do doctors in the west really advise patients about how not to fall down a swimming pool?  How much time do they have on their hands, anyway?  I think the average consultation time I get is about 3 minutes, 5 if the doctor has a really slow day.  To talk about swimming pools when they have 50 people waiting in line is nuts. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2011, 08:42:55 PM
Doctors are responsible for treating illnesses after they have happened.  Patients engage in preventative medicine ourselves.  Stuff like healthy eating. 

I'm just telling you how it is. In a world of ever increasing medical costs, preventative medicine is now a big deal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2011, 08:56:42 PM
And I find it very, very hard to classify household safety as part of medicine.  There are a gazillion ways in which I can injure myself in my home.  I can fall down from a ladder, I can slip in the bathtub (actually my grandmother died that way), objects not securely fastened can fall down and hit my head, I can improperly use training equipment and sustain injuries...can I ask a doctor about any of these?  I'll be (rightly) regarded as crazy if I do.

Do doctors in the west really advise patients about how not to fall down a swimming pool?  How much time do they have on their hands, anyway?  I think the average consultation time I get is about 3 minutes, 5 if the doctor has a really slow day.  To talk about swimming pools when they have 50 people waiting in line is nuts. 

Peds don't normally have 50 patients waiting in line. And yes, I think it is important that they cover safety basics, especially with first time parents.

Monoriu

I'll be very surprised if a pediatrician treats fewer than 100 cases a day.  The real number is probably a lot higher.  No wonder your medical costs go up, when your doctors waste precious time to cover household safety, of all things.  If I were a parent, I'll welcome that as very useful and practical advice.  I just never expect it to come from a doctor. 

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2011, 09:01:33 PM
I'm just telling you how it is. In a world of ever increasing medical costs, preventative medicine is now a big deal.
Gun ownership isn't medicine, preventative or otherwise. I'm with those who say it's none of the doctor's business. Not sure it needs a law though.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 04:38:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2011, 12:56:33 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 12:25:34 PM
America! Fuck yeah!

Quoten a pediatrician in Ocala  asked the mother of a young child whether she kept guns in the home.  She refused to answer because, as she put it, "whether I have a gun has  nothing to do with the health of my child."

Though I have to agree. What fucking business is that of his?

Like the article says, it is up there with asking other basic questions about household safety, like "Do you have a pool?" If the answer is yes, then doctor can follow up with "Is your pool adequately secured from your new toddler walking into it and drowning?"

It isn't his business per se, but then, so what? It's not like the doctor can do anything with the information other than provide you with advice, like "Are you aware that accidents with guns kill X children a year, mostly because they are improperly stored? Make sure your guns are locked/stored correctly..."

And really, if the patient/parent doesn't think it is their business, isn't there a pretty obvious recourse. Just tell him you aren't interested in answering the question! Why do you need the state to protect you from it being asked???

I mean seriously, the concern here is that this is all some part of a secret conspiracy to use Obamacare to take away your guns? How fucking wacked out do you have to be to believe something like that?

I understand what you're saying, but I think it sounds like the good Doctor has an axe to grind. According to the article, they did tell him they thought it wasn't his business, and he then didn't want to deal with them. I doubt they would've gotten the same reaction if they thought whether or not they have a pool is none of his business.

So what though? Maybe the doctor is a douchebag, so find another one. Why does the government need to get involved? Because there is a report that one doctor somewhere is an asshole, the state needs to then step in and tell every doctor everywhere what they can and cannot ask their patients?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned