Started by Berkut, June 09, 2011, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

America! Fuck yeah!

Quoten a pediatrician in Ocala  asked the mother of a young child whether she kept guns in the home.  She refused to answer because, as she put it, "whether I have a gun has  nothing to do with the health of my child."

Though I have to agree. What fucking business is that of his?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

A country as big as the US produces a lot of wacky things.

Ed Anger

I've never had a doc ask me about my guns. I'd give a list in full detail. What she gonna do, lecture me?

Please. I'd have the twins punch her in the fart box.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 12:25:34 PM
America! Fuck yeah!

Quoten a pediatrician in Ocala  asked the mother of a young child whether she kept guns in the home.  She refused to answer because, as she put it, "whether I have a gun has  nothing to do with the health of my child."

Like the article says, it is up there with asking other basic questions about household safety, like "Do you have a pool?" If the answer is yes, then doctor can follow up with "Is your pool adequately secured from your new toddler walking into it and drowning?"

It isn't his business per se, but then, so what? It's not like the doctor can do anything with the information other than provide you with advice, like "Are you aware that accidents with guns kill X children a year, mostly because they are improperly stored? Make sure your guns are locked/stored correctly..."

And really, if the patient/parent doesn't think it is their business, isn't there a pretty obvious recourse. Just tell him you aren't interested in answering the question! Why do you need the state to protect you from it being asked???

I mean seriously, the concern here is that this is all some part of a secret conspiracy to use Obamacare to take away your guns? How fucking wacked out do you have to be to believe something like that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

I think the problem was not so much that he asked, but when she told refused to answer, he basically refused to treat her child and told her to find another pediatrician.  It would seem to me at that point, his proper professional response would have been to explain why he was asking.

alfred russel

The tea partiers are going to be pissed about another incident where the government gets involved in the patient doctor relationship.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2011, 12:56:33 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 12:25:34 PM
America! Fuck yeah!

Like the article says, it is up there with asking other basic questions about household safety, like "Do you have a pool?" If the answer is yes, then doctor can follow up with "Is your pool adequately secured from your new toddler walking into it and drowning?"

It isn't his business per se, but then, so what? It's not like the doctor can do anything with the information other than provide you with advice, like "Are you aware that accidents with guns kill X children a year, mostly because they are improperly stored? Make sure your guns are locked/stored correctly..."

And really, if the patient/parent doesn't think it is their business, isn't there a pretty obvious recourse. Just tell him you aren't interested in answering the question! Why do you need the state to protect you from it being asked???

I mean seriously, the concern here is that this is all some part of a secret conspiracy to use Obamacare to take away your guns? How fucking wacked out do you have to be to believe something like that?

I understand what you're saying, but I think it sounds like the good Doctor has an axe to grind. According to the article, they did tell him they thought it wasn't his business, and he then didn't want to deal with them. I doubt they would've gotten the same reaction if they thought whether or not they have a pool is none of his business.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 09, 2011, 04:26:41 PM
I think the problem was not so much that he asked, but when she told refused to answer, he basically refused to treat her child and told her to find another pediatrician.  It would seem to me at that point, his proper professional response would have been to explain why he was asking.

Seems he normally answers why he asked that question but didn't because she was such a bitch.  Perhaps he just didn't want to deal with someone like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2011, 04:44:10 PM
Quote from: dps on June 09, 2011, 04:26:41 PM

Seems he normally answers why he asked that question but didn't because she was such a bitch.  Perhaps he just didn't want to deal with someone like that.

I've no idea, but do private practice docs have any discretion in who they see?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 04:38:06 PMI understand what you're saying, but I think it sounds like the good Doctor has an axe to grind. According to the article, they did tell him they thought it wasn't his business, and he then didn't want to deal with them. I doubt they would've gotten the same reaction if they thought whether or not they have a pool is none of his business.

Doctors, who possess the authority to determine, diagnose and prescribe a plan of action for causes of injury, suicidal idiations;  therefore, they also possess the authority to determine the risk involved, and what measures should be implemented to increase the patient's wellness.

And, should patients choose not to participate in the clinical dialogue, doctors also possess the right to "not deal with them".

Doctors every day terminate their relations with patients who choose not to participate in the doctor-patient dialectic regarding their health.  Don't want to listen to me for the last 4 years about controlling your illicit drug use/diabetes/alcoholism/unhealthy livestyle/guns in the house with little children?  Find another doctor.

jimmy olsen

:huh:
QuotePediatricians are trained—indeed, they are explicitly advised by the American Academy of Pediatrics—to inquire about the presence of open containers of bleach, swimming pools, balloons, and toilet locks in the homes of their patients.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Wouldn't raising the insurance rates of gun owners make sense, and be socially desirable?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

I am very confused.  Why would a doctor ask anything about household safety?  :unsure: