News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pirate bay fruits get year in jail

Started by Ed Anger, April 17, 2009, 07:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I wished that the media corps would spend as much time and money on creating viable online distribution methods that are easy to use and allow storage of their media as they spend hunting pirates.

I wished there was something as easy to use as Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, even Steam for movies and music. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 18, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
:rolleyes:

oh yeah. winning lawsuits always stops filesharing. look at Napster, Kazaa. oh wait file sharing just changed and moved on to the point where it's now a mainstream thing. These morons running the Entertainment conglomerates need to worry more about the fact that their business model has been broken for over a decade. Either change with the times or be buried by innovation.

Actually I applaud this decision.  If you want to name your site in such a way that it clearly illustrates that you are assisting people in their efforts to pirate material, live with the consequences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2009, 12:02:06 PM
Vinny, theft does not need to involve the physical taking of an object.  All that it requires is to convert an object to one's own possession or use.  It has been found that pledging an object that is not yours as security will constitute theft, even though the object in question is never even touched or moved.
Unlike physical property, legal protection of intellectual property is a relatively recent phenomenon and one cannot make a similar argument about this protection being "natural" or one of the fundamental rights (again, unlike that of physical property). It's a social convention, based on balancing two conflicting principles - that of fair reward for the author / right owner and that of free dissemination of information.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2009, 02:22:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2009, 12:02:06 PM
Vinny, theft does not need to involve the physical taking of an object.  All that it requires is to convert an object to one's own possession or use.  It has been found that pledging an object that is not yours as security will constitute theft, even though the object in question is never even touched or moved.
Unlike physical property, legal protection of intellectual property is a relatively recent phenomenon and one cannot make a similar argument about this protection being "natural" or one of the fundamental rights (again, unlike that of physical property). It's a social convention, based on balancing two conflicting principles - that of fair reward for the author / right owner and that of free dissemination of information.

Are you saying that there is a fundamental right to physical property, that it isn't a social convention? Source?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

What Budda said.

This won't do anything to curb piracy.

I'm not going to get all holier than thou. I, personally, am against piracy. I have plenty of friends in the music industry and I see how it effect them.

That said, I also, unlike them, realize it 's a losing battle. I am completley shocked at work, for instance, how everyone downloads movies these days and when I tell them I bought a CD, they look at me kind of strange.

And they aren't 20 year olds. They're 40+ people. Downloading has become so mainstream, it's now almost expected that you do.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

haven't there been a number of relatively recent studies that point out that on average people who download are also the people who buy most CD's-DVDs-games?

Norgy

[slargos]if they had raped white women they would never have gone to jail[/slargos]

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2009, 02:22:21 AM

Legal protection of gay rights is a relatively recent phenomenon compared to the legal protection of intellectual property.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on April 18, 2009, 01:06:22 PM
[slargos]if they had raped white women they would never have gone to jail[/slargos]

You're joking, but a lot of rapists get off easier of course.  :P

Quite recently, for instance, one got off without trial since the chick he raped committed suicide before the trial was over and the prosecutor decided to drop the charges since they were now without a witness.  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2009, 08:04:03 AM
The record companies must be creaming their pants.  Time for a price increase for CDs, methinks.
Yep.  This alone is not guaranteed to put the record companies out of business.  A price increase, plus this, should do the trick.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Back on topic, I doubt this will hold up in the appeal.

If it does, it changes little other than at worst the method of transfer.

I think that what will eventually kill piracy for games is among other things size of the full distribution and online services that require you to log in for full service and consistently gives the possibility of detecting foul play.

Another issue currently in Norway at least, is that the law that protects ISP customers by making it illegal to hand out user information in order to connect people to IP adresses is being changed which means it's now actually possible to prove misconduct.

grumbler

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 18, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
oh yeah. winning lawsuits always stops filesharing. look at Napster, Kazaa. oh wait file sharing just changed and moved on to the point where it's now a mainstream thing. These morons running the Entertainment conglomerates need to worry more about the fact that their business model has been broken for over a decade. Either change with the times or be buried by innovation.
Agreed.  The record companies are like the Big Three auto companies:  the body is dead, but that info hasn't gotten to the brain as yet.

I think really clamping down on internet music piracy is going to be the death-knell of the industry, since prices of CDs are high enough that nobody is buying unless they hear the songs and decide they like them well enough to pay for them.

It is going to be the downloading-for-fee people that will benefit.

And, yes, piracy is theft.  That is why copyrights exist.  Copyrights will dwindle to legal insignificance as the business model of the music industry change, but they still mean what they have always meant in legal and moral terms.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 18, 2009, 08:09:06 AM
haven't there been a number of relatively recent studies that point out that on average people who download are also the people who buy most CD's-DVDs-games?
That is my understanding, yes.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2009, 03:29:13 PM
Since prices of CDs are high enough that nobody is buying unless they hear the songs and decide they like them well enough to pay for them.

:huh: