News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pirate bay fruits get year in jail

Started by Ed Anger, April 17, 2009, 07:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Heh, like you need Internet to get stuff for free.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on April 19, 2009, 07:22:54 PM
Heh, like you need Internet to get stuff for free.

Oh, I forgot that Spain is like a trip back to the late 80s.  :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

A friend of mine went to the US in the late 80s, on an exchange program. He was told not to be startled by that funny looking device hung on the wall. "You see, it is called a te-le-phone".
:lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2009, 02:22:21 AM
Unlike physical property, legal protection of intellectual property is a relatively recent phenomenon and one cannot make a similar argument about this protection being "natural" or one of the fundamental rights (again, unlike that of physical property). It's a social convention, based on balancing two conflicting principles - that of fair reward for the author / right owner and that of free dissemination of information.

Civil rights are a relatively recent phenomenon as well - does that mean they aren't fundamental rights?

As you are a continential lawyer, I presume I don't need to explain the difference between natural and customary law - the fact that enforcement of a norm is recent in time doesn't indicate it isn't natural.

All legal norms can be characterized as social conventions that balance conflicting principles - private real property rights balance encouraging investment and validating investment backed expectations versus the appropriation of the commons.  IP rights involve the same considerations but because the titles tend to be of later vintage, the process of creations and the tradeoffs involved are more transparent. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2009, 01:31:16 AM
I wished that the media corps would spend as much time and money on creating viable online distribution methods that are easy to use and allow storage of their media as they spend hunting pirates.

I wished there was something as easy to use as Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, even Steam for movies and music. :(
I found Amazon.de very convenient for downloading MP3s recently.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 20, 2009, 10:57:52 AM
No form of property is.
I wasn't saying that any is, and I considered Mart's argument a red herring also; I was just pointing that out to Beeb.
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 20, 2009, 12:32:37 PM
I found Amazon.de very convenient for downloading MP3s recently.

NOT AVAILABLE IN AUSTRIA

Unfortunately the EU has so far failed to reach an agreement about a "common media market".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ape

Trial might have to be redone completly, one of the judges is a member of an interest organisation. :unsure:

http://www.thelocal.se/19028/20090423/

Neil

Quote from: Ape on April 23, 2009, 05:26:56 AM
Trial might have to be redone completly, one of the judges is a member of an interest organisation. :unsure:
:lol:

Oops.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ape on April 23, 2009, 05:26:56 AM

http://www.thelocal.se/19028/20090423/

:pinchL 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

What exactly do these organizations do?

For example, I am a member of an IP orgnanization which has a lot of IP holders and their counsel in it, but also includes IP practioners who more commonly represent infringers (such as myself).  I don't think membership in such an organization should force recusal.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Obviously a judge cannot be a member of an organization that promotes law & order.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 23, 2009, 11:48:48 AM
What exactly do these organizations do?

For example, I am a member of an IP orgnanization which has a lot of IP holders and their counsel in it, but also includes IP practioners who more commonly represent infringers (such as myself).  I don't think membership in such an organization should force recusal.

If you can't answer that, no one can.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.