News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pirate bay fruits get year in jail

Started by Ed Anger, April 17, 2009, 07:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 18, 2009, 08:09:06 AM
haven't there been a number of relatively recent studies that point out that on average people who download are also the people who buy most CD's-DVDs-games?

I've read various news articles that state that studies have shown this to be the case, but I've never actually seen any of the studies.  Anecdotally, I can say that the people who I know who download the most also tend to own the most CD's, ect.--but on the other hand, most of what they bought, they got before they had access to high-speed internet.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 04:36:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2009, 03:29:13 PM
Since prices of CDs are high enough that nobody is buying unless they hear the songs and decide they like them well enough to pay for them.

:huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2009, 06:08:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 04:36:40 PM
Since prices of CDs are high enough that nobody is buying unless they hear the songs and decide they like them well enough to pay for them.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

I think really clamping down on internet music piracy is going to be the death-knell of the industry, since prices of CDs are high enough that nobody is buying unless they hear the songs and decide they like them well enough to pay for them.

Agreed, although this is happening.  BAnds and their record companies are routinely putting up their music for streaming on sites like myspace; lastfm; or their websites.

So the argument that "i download so I know if I like it" holds less and less water.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on April 18, 2009, 07:09:46 PM
Agreed, although this is happening.  BAnds and their record companies are routinely putting up their music for streaming on sites like myspace; lastfm; or their websites.

So the argument that "i download so I know if I like it" holds less and less water.
The bands do this precisely because they know it helps sales, and cuts out the middleman.  Te highest-priced bands lose out, because they don't get the multi-million dollars contracts from the labels that control the retail CD business, but on average I think bands are better off controlling their own distribution and advertising through downloads.  The cost of producing CDs has dropped dramatically, though the cost of buying them hasn't.  In that gap can come the indie producers, who have less overhead and use viral, vice (expensive) mass, advertising.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2009, 02:22:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2009, 12:02:06 PM
Vinny, theft does not need to involve the physical taking of an object.  All that it requires is to convert an object to one's own possession or use.  It has been found that pledging an object that is not yours as security will constitute theft, even though the object in question is never even touched or moved.
Unlike physical property, legal protection of intellectual property is a relatively recent phenomenon and one cannot make a similar argument about this protection being "natural" or one of the fundamental rights (again, unlike that of physical property). It's a social convention, based on balancing two conflicting principles - that of fair reward for the author / right owner and that of free dissemination of information.

What does your comment have to do with my comment?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2009, 09:51:55 PM
What does your comment have to do with my comment?
I think he's playing the "depends what your definition of 'is' is" game. Pledging assets that aren't yours means you have falsely indicated ownership where possession is clearly another individual's or entity's, with intent to transfer that ownership as if it were your own. Determining intellectual property is a shakier matter; IP is not wholly protected- see "derivative works." If the composition is overwhelmingly your own, and the majority of the material is your own, there are situations where the IP material used is not protected.

P.S. - The 33 files in question were the ones seeded by those guys- creating The Pirate Bay itself was simply a means of P2P communication, which is still legal at this point; they're not on the hook for files seeded by other users... yet.
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 06:17:30 PM

Prices generally aren't that high anymore.

What's the average price for a CD in the U.S.? Over here it's usually between 14-16 EUR at release. Which is about the same what a newly released DVD movie costs (talking mainstream, not arthouse or niche which are usually more expensive). At that pricing the DVD always wins in my case in value for money.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I don't buy movies anymore. I don't want to pay for just DVD-quality (feels like VHS) and Blu-Ray are still too expensive for what you get.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on April 19, 2009, 01:06:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 06:17:30 PM

Prices generally aren't that high anymore.

What's the average price for a CD in the U.S.? Over here it's usually between 14-16 EUR at release. Which is about the same what a newly released DVD movie costs (talking mainstream, not arthouse or niche which are usually more expensive). At that pricing the DVD always wins in my case in value for money.

That's the interesting part. Over here (Canada, the USA) we say CDs are too expensive. Yet they are at least HALF of what they cost in Europe.
In fact it's probably cheaper for you euros to head over to amazon.com or amazon.ca and buy your CDs from there.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Given how many times I usually listen to my CDs, £10 a pop is not too much for me, especially as with services like LastFm and Spotify i can hear how good an album is.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA