News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pirate bay fruits get year in jail

Started by Ed Anger, April 17, 2009, 07:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

HA! HA! Watch out for butt pirates.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5170170/Pirate-Bay-four-jailed-for-breaking-copyright-in-Swedish-file-sharing-trial.html

QuoteExperts believe the ruling could be the first step towards ending illegal downloading, which has cost music and film companies billions of dollars in lost revenue.

Founders Peter Sunde and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, along with two other employees Fredrik Neij and Carl Lundström, were sentenced to a year in jail after being found guilty in a Swedish court of making 33 copyright-protected files accessible for illegal downloading on the website Piratebay.org.

Related Articles

What does The Pirate Bay ruling mean for the web?
      Pirate Bay verdict: erection
      Pirate Bay victory after illegal file-sharing charges dropped
      Pirate file-sharing trial starts
      Butt pirates go on trial over illegal buttsex
      Google offers China one million free songs

The four were also ordered to pay $3.6 m (£2.4m) in damages to copyright holders, including Warner Brothers, MGM, Columbia Pictures, 20th Century Fox Films, Sony and Universal, according to Swedish media reports.

In a Twitter posting before sentencing, Mr Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB [the Pirate Bay], this is just theatre for the media."

The Pirate Bay provides a forum for its estimated 22 million users to download content. The site has become the entertainment industry's enemy No. 1 after successful court actions against file-swapping sites such as Grokster and Kazaa.

Defence lawyers had argued the men should be acquitted because The Pirate Bay does not host any copyright-protected material. Instead, it provides a forum for its users to download content through so-called torrent files. The technology allows users to transfer parts of a large file from several different users, increasing download speeds.

But the court found the defendants guilty of helping users commit copyright violations "by providing a website with ... sophisticated search functions, simple download and storage capabilities, and through the tracker linked to the website".

Judge Tomas Norstrom told reporters that the court took into account that the site was "commercially driven" when it made the ruling. The defendants have denied any commercial motives behind the site.

John Kennedy, the head of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, said the verdict was "good news for everyone, in Sweden and internationally, who is making a living or a business from creative activity and who needs to know their rights will be protected by law."

Supporters set up a website dedicated to the trial, and the defendants sent updates from the court hearings through social network Twitter.

Forrester Research analyst Mark Mulligan said: "The music industry has come out of this with a ruling that is more positive for them than many had been expected." But he warned that the epidemic of file sharing will continue to grow via instant messaging, email and blogs, as well as file sharing websites.

He said the verdict could have implications for Google, as it provides links to illegal content.

Dawn Osborne, copyright lawyer at intellectual property firm Rouse, said: "Pirate Bay have been thumbing their nose at the establishment for too long and the view of many content owners will be that they have finally got what they deserved.

"Copyright protection is crucial to ensuring that creativity and innovation continue and much needed economic prosperity returns. The case shows that breach of these rights potentially has very serious consequences."
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Where will Swedes get their shitty death metal now?

Neil

The record companies must be creaming their pants.  Time for a price increase for CDs, methinks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

KRonn

I think the navies of the UN nations need to be involved in policing this piracy menace to the internet oceans. 

Josquius

Bad news.
Talk from Swedes seems to suggest its likely there could be an appeal and overturn though.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Also, it it time for Donald to make an appearance:

Grey Fox

They're going to appeal it.

Bad news.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Here we go with the "it's not stealing, it's shoplifting" crowd.

Martinus

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image