News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on June 23, 2011, 07:33:10 PM
Worked for Clinton.  He was able to sell the public on the idea that the shutdown was the fault of Gingrich and the Congressional Republicans.

Gingrich and Clinton scratched the paint on the National Parks for two days.  They're playing for higher stakes now.

sbr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2011, 05:38:11 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 03:20:13 PM
You REFUSED to re-arm the Germans and invade Russia.

You REFUSED to nuke Red China.

You ARMED the muslims.

We beat the Russians in the Cold War, turned the Chinese into capitalists, and now the Arabs are taking out their dictators on their own and Osama is fish food.

USA 3, Whiny Swede Nazis 0

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:28:18 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 07:22:00 PM
"We are going to force a default now, because we have get spending under control to keep us from defaulting later." This is so stupid, Obama should quit negoitating and tell them to fuck off.

That's not a very objective appraisal of the negotiating dynamic.  If two guys are playing chicken and they end up crashing you can't claim only one of them forced the crash.

Worked for Clinton.  He was able to sell the public on the idea that the shutdown was the fault of Gingrich and the Congressional Republicans.

It helped that several Republicans publicly voiced their approval of said shutdown.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Personally I can't wait to see the US crumble under the weight of its own internal contradictions. 

You guys may think you're 'too big to fail' but there inevitably comes a point where people cut their losses.  In this case that would be the money lenders that have been shoring up the US Treasury's balance for such a long time.

Besides, History teaches us that no power is so great as to escape decadence. 

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on June 23, 2011, 07:46:14 PM
You guys may think you're 'too big to fail' but there inevitably comes a point where people cut their losses.  In this case that would be the money lenders that have been shoring up the US Treasury's balance for such a long time.

Actually that would be our own central bank.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 07:31:40 PM
Here is an idea: don't play chicken! If the other guy gets an attitude about that and runs you down while you are crossing the street, you are still screwed, but he is a lunatic. You weren't going to beat that guy in chicken anyway.

Not playing chicken would be to pass the GOP budget.

I'm speaking about the part of the negotiation involving the debt limit. Everyone agrees the debt limit needs to go up, and a default would be a disaster. A reasonable negotiation would be: you want $3 trillion in spending cuts, I want $1 trillion and some tax increases, lets either meet in the middle or one of us completely cave.

A negotiation of: we want you to do xyz, and if you don't we won't pass the debt limit increase which will nuke the world economy--that isn't reasonable imo. That is taking the economy hostage. Obama should refuse to negotiate the debt limit imo, and tell the Republicans to pass it, or don't pass it, it is up to them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on June 23, 2011, 07:46:14 PM
Personally I can't wait to see the US crumble under the weight of its own internal contradictions. 

G.

Why won't you be able to wait?  Are you dying or something?  I strongly suspect you'll have to wait quite a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 07:50:13 PM

I'm speaking about the part of the negotiation involving the debt limit. Everyone agrees the debt limit needs to go up, and a default would be a disaster. A reasonable negotiation would be: you want $3 trillion in spending cuts, I want $1 trillion and some tax increases, lets either meet in the middle or one of us completely cave.

A negotiation of: we want you to do xyz, and if you don't we won't pass the debt limit increase which will nuke the world economy--that isn't reasonable imo. That is taking the economy hostage. Obama should refuse to negotiate the debt limit imo, and tell the Republicans to pass it, or don't pass it, it is up to them.

The GOP knows Obama.  Despite their rhetoric about it him, they know he's a responsible human being.  They know if they are unreasonable enough he'll eventually have to give in.

Admiral Yi

Then you're back to playing chicken, with a different speech before the flag drops.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:57:15 PM

Then you're back to playing chicken, with a different speech before the flag drops.

I don't follow what you are saying...If we are playing chicken with a government shutdown due to a difference in budgeting priorities; I have no problem with that. A government shutdown isn't the same as a default.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 09:38:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 07:48:14 PM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 17, 2011, 01:40:53 PM
QuoteThe Republicans have suggested that the civilian workforce contribute more to its retirement in the future, effectively trimming 5 percent from salaries.
Wouldn't that trigger a massive recession?

Just federal employees.

Poor Seigy.

Just civilian employees.

There has been talk of going after the (really, quite generous) military retirement system.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 08:04:55 PM
I don't follow what you are saying...If we are playing chicken with a government shutdown due to a difference in budgeting priorities; I have no problem with that. A government shutdown isn't the same as a default.

What I'm saying is that your previous post just puts a different gloss on the status quo ante.  Obama says if we don't increase the debt limit it will be Armaggedon.  GOP says if you want to raise the debt limit you have to pass our budget in the Senate.  Reid and Obama say no.  The only thing that has changed is that the no has taken on a different cast.  Nothing substantive has changed.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 08:10:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 08:04:55 PM

What I'm saying is that your previous post just puts a different gloss on the status quo ante.  Obama says if we don't increase the debt limit it will be Armaggedon.  GOP says if you want to raise the debt limit you have to pass our budget in the Senate.  Reid and Obama say no.  The only thing that has changed is that the no has taken on a different cast.  Nothing substantive has changed.

Well no...it isn't status quo ante. First, the debt limit has been negotiated. Obviously not raising the limit is a default, and obviously that is Armaggedon. That is a terrible precedent, and I'm not sure where it ends. That rubican has been crossed.

Second, just the threat of a default--even if it is just missing a couple payments which are made up at a later date--is going to affect interest rates. I'd say even at this point, but certainly the longer this goes on, people are going to begin looking at government debt as potentially unstable during parts of the calendar. It isn't the kind of thing that helps keep a currency as the world's reserve currency (admittedly our major rival is doing its best to exit the competition atm).

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:36:00 PM

Gingrich and Clinton scratched the paint on the National Parks for two days.  They're playing for higher stakes now.

Well, the stakes may be higher, but the fact is, the public blamed Congress, and Gingrich caved.  IMO that doesn't have anything to do with Clinton or Gingrich;  in all but the most unusual circumstances, I think the public is more likely to blame Congress.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 08:30:56 PMObviously not raising the limit is a default, and obviously that is Armaggedon.

Neither of those are obvious to me. As long as they keep paying the interest payments with current revenues, there's no default.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers