And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2011, 05:49:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 04:17:06 PM
If you have access to a metro, then you're in a major downtown area, and so you're best positioned to survive without a car.  You are also either extremely well-off or living in abject poverty.  People taking the bus are generally unemployed or unemployable, and so have no business being at large.

The problem with living along railway routes is that it allows the criminals to come to you.  The whole point of the suburbs is to keep the questionable elements out.
Most metros I've known have went to pretty normal working and middle class areas.
And of course busses aren't for the unemployed. I've known loads of people who take the bus to work.
Trains and criminals coming to you- their get away route is a bit crapp though.

North American culture is really pretty alien in some ways...
You don't approve of cycling over there either right? Like muslims?
See, we're talking about North America here.  Public transit really isn't an option.

As for cycling, it is only done by inconsiderate assholes, usually rather poor, although you also see a few working types who had their licenses suspended due to DUIs.  And in this city, you can only get 4-5 months of it before the cold and snow makes it impossible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2011, 05:38:11 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 03:20:13 PM
You REFUSED to re-arm the Germans and invade Russia.

You REFUSED to nuke Red China.

You ARMED the muslims.

We beat the Russians in the Cold War, turned the Chinese into capitalists, and now the Arabs are taking out their dictators on their own and Osama is fish food.

USA 3, Whiny Swede Nazis 0

:lol:

You'll see.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 17, 2011, 01:40:53 PM
QuoteThe Republicans have suggested that the civilian workforce contribute more to its retirement in the future, effectively trimming 5 percent from salaries.
Wouldn't that trigger a massive recession?

Just federal employees.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Admiral Yi

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 17, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
:nelson: ?

There's a limit. who knew.

Everybody except that bike courier in 28 Days Later.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 07:48:14 PM
QuoteThe Republicans have suggested that the civilian workforce contribute more to its retirement in the future, effectively trimming 5 percent from salaries.

Just federal employees.

Poor Seigy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 07:48:14 PM

Just federal employees.

Poor Seigy.

Just civilian employees.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 17, 2011, 02:02:09 PM
Meh. Oil isn't our fault anyway.

Blame China and India.

That's one bullshit chart.  The "remainder" has four times the population of the US, EU, Australia, and Japan.  China and India alone have twice the population.

The blame rests on Westerners because that's where it rightly lies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 10:08:26 PM

Blame for using oil?

But we have to use it up before it is economical to use alternatives.  A conundrum  :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

That's one bullshit chart.  The "remainder" has four times the population of the US, EU, Australia, and Japan.  China and India alone have twice the population.

What makes you think that they're entitled to an equal share?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 10:10:37 PM

India is, because they are a westernizing democracy; PRChina isn't, because they are an evil slave state.

Indeed, neither needs to use a great deal more.  The West needs to reduce its consumption levels.  I like warm weather and all but I'd prefer the thermohaline conveyer to still work by the time me and Steven Seagal are made immortal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 10:13:07 PM

India does, China doesn't.

India does entitled to an equal share?   :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 10:13:07 PM

India is, because they are a westernizing democracy; PRChina isn't, because they are an evil slave state.

Indeed, neither needs to use a great deal more.  The West needs to reduce its consumption levels.  I like warm weather and all but I'd prefer the thermohaline conveyer to still work by the time me and Steven Seagal are made immortal.
Neither one of them are part of 'us'.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 17, 2011, 10:18:27 PM
India does entitled to an equal share?   :hmm:
India can into space!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2011, 02:55:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2011, 02:53:11 PM
Loads of people take a train or a metro or bus to work.
Same here... but from average sized cities (by canadian standards) to large cities. and even those in the burbs who commute it in have to drive to the train station first.
:blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.