And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 07:48:14 PM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 17, 2011, 01:40:53 PM
QuoteThe Republicans have suggested that the civilian workforce contribute more to its retirement in the future, effectively trimming 5 percent from salaries.
Wouldn't that trigger a massive recession?

Just federal employees.

Yeah, but God forbid that government employees have their benefits cut.  Why next thing you know, someone will suggest that they actually do something useful to earn their pay.

KRonn

Quote from: dps on May 18, 2011, 03:11:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 07:48:14 PM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 17, 2011, 01:40:53 PM
QuoteThe Republicans have suggested that the civilian workforce contribute more to its retirement in the future, effectively trimming 5 percent from salaries.
Wouldn't that trigger a massive recession?

Just federal employees.

Yeah, but God forbid that government employees have their benefits cut.  Why next thing you know, someone will suggest that they actually do something useful to earn their pay.
Many states are looking at their employee benefits, streamlining, asking them to contribute or raising contributions, to try and help state budgets. Would be no surprise if the Feds did similar. Though I think the Feds run things more efficiently regarding Federal employees, benefits, etc.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 05:58:19 PM
See, we're talking about North America here.  Public transit really isn't an option.
Depends where you live.  In Boston, it is for a lot of people (and indeed I took the train into the city myself).

In the South, public transit = black poor people.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Speaking of public transport, the Dayton RTA wanted to put a bus stop at a mall in the next county. The city council said NO. The subtext? Keep your darkies at home.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2011, 08:09:11 AM
Speaking of public transport, the Dayton RTA wanted to put a bus stop at a mall in the next county. The city council said NO. The subtext? Keep your darkies at home.
:thumbsup:

When I was a kid there was a pretty cool mall near my house we used to like to go to.  Then SEPTA decided to put in a bus line from Northeast Philadelphia that stopped there.  Suddenly there was all manner of pickpocketing, muggings, and fights occurring there. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 08:12:30 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2011, 08:09:11 AM
:thumbsup:

When I was a kid there was a pretty cool mall near my house we used to like to go to.  Then SEPTA decided to put in a bus line from Northeast Philadelphia that stopped there.  Suddenly there was all manner of pickpocketing, muggings, and fights occurring there. :hmm:

Speaking of more racism, when I did my time as a security guard, buses from Wilberforce University were referred to as the arrival of the forty thieves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 10:08:26 PM
That's one bullshit chart.  The "remainder" has four times the population of the US, EU, Australia, and Japan.  China and India alone have twice the population.

The blame rests on Westerners because that's where it rightly lies.

That's kinda the point. Oil prices are being driven by the modernization of the Chinese and Indian economies. The US and Europe are not increasing their usage significantly compared to the "remainder". If there is a factor to "blame", it's that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

The GOP walked out of the budget talks with Biden, and now this:

Leader Cantor: House to Consider Balanced Budget Amendment

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) today issued the following statement regarding House consideration of a balanced budget amendment, H.J. Res. 1, sponsored by Congressman Bob Goodlatte:

"We are being asked by the Obama Administration to approve a debt limit increase. While President Obama inherited a bad economy, his overspending and failure to enact pro-growth policies have made it worse and now our national debt is currently more than $14 trillion. House Republicans have made clear that we will not agree to raise the debt limit without real spending cuts and binding budget process reforms to ensure that we don't continue to max out the credit card. One option to ensure that we begin to get our fiscal house in order is a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, and I expect to schedule such a measure for the House to consider during the week of July 25th. I have no doubt that my Republican colleagues will overwhelmingly support this common sense measure and I urge Democrats to as well in order to get our fiscal house in order."

Is the ghost of Newt Gingrich past inhabiting the House? These guys are going all-in.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

That's not all in, that's sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Going all in would be letting the deadline pass and daring the administration to stop writing Social Security checks.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 23, 2011, 07:06:31 PM
The GOP walked out of the budget talks with Biden, and now this:

Quote[snip]

Is the ghost of Newt Gingrich past inhabiting the House? These guys are going all-in.

Empty threat.  Not gonna happen; states have so much more politicking involved in balancing their own budgets that, red or blue, they'd mostly refuse to set a precedent that could cripple their own operation down the line.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:09:07 PM
That's not all in, that's sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Going all in would be letting the deadline pass and daring the administration to stop writing Social Security checks.

"We are going to force a default now, because we have get spending under control to keep us from defaulting later." This is so stupid, Obama should quit negoitating and tell them to fuck off.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 07:22:00 PM
"We are going to force a default now, because we have get spending under control to keep us from defaulting later." This is so stupid, Obama should quit negoitating and tell them to fuck off.

That's not a very objective appraisal of the negotiating dynamic.  If two guys are playing chicken and they end up crashing you can't claim only one of them forced the crash.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:28:18 PM

That's not a very objective appraisal of the negotiating dynamic.  If two guys are playing chicken and they end up crashing you can't claim only one of them forced the crash.

Here is an idea: don't play chicken! If the other guy gets an attitude about that and runs you down while you are crossing the street, you are still screwed, but he is a lunatic. You weren't going to beat that guy in chicken anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 07:28:18 PM

Worked for Clinton.  He was able to sell the public on the idea that the shutdown was the fault of Gingrich and the Congressional Republicans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2011, 07:31:40 PM
Here is an idea: don't play chicken! If the other guy gets an attitude about that and runs you down while you are crossing the street, you are still screwed, but he is a lunatic. You weren't going to beat that guy in chicken anyway.

Not playing chicken would be to pass the GOP budget.