News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you decorate a flat like that?

Started by Martinus, May 10, 2011, 05:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2011, 06:03:09 AM
I always thought that TV shows and movies loved lofts so much because it must be really easy to film on them.

Especially when they have a show about a young kid struggling in New York City...when a loft like that would be out of the price range of a Wall Street investment banker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2011, 08:18:30 AM
I always thought that TV shows and movies loved lofts so much because it must be really easy to film on them.

Especially when they have a show about a young kid struggling in New York City...when a loft like that would be out of the price range of a Wall Street investment banker.
Always annoyed me that, how such supposidely poor and struggling people on TV have such awesome places to live.
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2011, 05:26:01 AM
What do you think (and yeah, I know it's ultimately about what *I* like, but let me know what your opinions about a decor like this would be)?

If the bed was in a separate area (built-in second floor, divided, or something), it would be pretty nice.  Requires serious discipline to keep junk from getting everywhere though.

Slargos

Too dark.

Too cluttered.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2011, 08:18:30 AM

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FriendsRentControl

Martinus

Ok, from your reaction, I guess that my decision to hire an interior decorator firm is a good one, since apparently I don't know shit about interior decorating.

Another proof I'm not gay. :(

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2011, 11:10:13 AM
Ok, from your reaction, I guess that my decision to hire an interior decorator firm is a good one, since apparently I don't know shit about interior decorating.

Another proof I'm not gay. :(

:console:

Not every gay man is gay in precisely the same way Marty :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Paint your walls black and start listening to annoying crap music. Er, just paint your walls black.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Richard Hakluyt

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2011, 07:54:37 AM
Hate it.  Boring colors and dark.

I kinda like it. Except for the chair with a sheet over it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

I would buy functional shit with random unobtrusive designs. I would not want a glass wall around my bedroom(or anywhere else for that matter).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

What the hell, I'll give a serious answer.

The general "loft" look can be nice.  Big hardwood floors, lots of exposed brick and support beams, open layout.  That all is very nice.

All in all though it's rather over-done - which makes sense for a tv set.

And the bedroom is atrocious.

I don't think I could ever possibly justify to myself paying for a decorator.  You know what you like - go out and get it.  I'd always be afraid the designer is going to give me what  they think looks good, rather than what I think looks good.

Of course if I ever got to design a house from scratch it'd probably end up looking like a hunting lodge. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.