Canada Abortion thread.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2011, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2011, 02:51:46 PM
I've got one, you ain't going to like it. Télesphore Fournier.

:lol:

Right? Dude only got the job because he was a Liberal.

Oh, you were being serious.

Well, it depends to what? He sounds like a real political appointment but I really was just making a joke. Both times.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 01:06:28 PM
I agree completely with your final statement here. It will and should be a tough decision.  I don't see how managing an addiction to the point of sobriety is encouraging people to use drugs. But then that's just my opinion. Maybe we should shut down all the AA meetings? which matters not to the powers that be. My suspicion is that it will get closed down, and crime rates will go up. More jails will be built, housing more of the population in order for blackberry and visa etc to get free/cheap labor.

and The base of our majority government will be smiling. the rest of us will be shaking our heads and mumbling to ourselves.

It shouldn't be that tough a decision though - federal government control over criminal law is well established, and the decision to allow a "safe injection site" is clearly within the federal government's powers.

You can debate safe injections and harm reduction all you want, but this comes down to an old-fashioned division of powers question.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2011, 03:03:16 PM
Well, it depends to what? He sounds like a real political appointment but I really was just making a joke. Both times.

A couple of points.

You had to go to a founding appointment of the SCC to find a potential flaw and you have selected someone who was likely one of the most able people in the Country at the time available for appointment to the Court.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 02:59:05 PM
Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 12:01:34 PM
Can you name a SCC judge that was appointed because of party membership?  I am not even asking you to defend your notion that it usually happens.  I am asking you to name just one.

Never argued that the judges were nominated solely because they were party members, I'm not questioning their competency. Only that it plays a big role in the nomination process, not just of SC judges, but all judges. This is well-known.

Name me one SCC judge that was nominated despite his party affiliation to an opposing party. These are much rarer.

Drakken, I've known some superior court judges (i.e. trial court) who were fairly obvious political appointments.  But for the Court of Appeal and higher both parties have been pretty careful to appoint only well qualified candidates - most of whom have no obvious poltical connections.

Also, federal court judges. That's a well-known Liberal retirement pension.  :D

But yeah, the consensus is - appellate/SCC judges ain't chosen for political affiliation. Just isn't done.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2011, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 02:59:05 PM
Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 12:01:34 PM
Can you name a SCC judge that was appointed because of party membership?  I am not even asking you to defend your notion that it usually happens.  I am asking you to name just one.

Never argued that the judges were nominated solely because they were party members, I'm not questioning their competency. Only that it plays a big role in the nomination process, not just of SC judges, but all judges. This is well-known.

Name me one SCC judge that was nominated despite his party affiliation to an opposing party. These are much rarer.

Drakken, I've known some superior court judges (i.e. trial court) who were fairly obvious political appointments.  But for the Court of Appeal and higher both parties have been pretty careful to appoint only well qualified candidates - most of whom have no obvious poltical connections.

Also, federal court judges. That's a well-known Liberal retirement pension.  :D

But yeah, the consensus is - appellate/SCC judges ain't chosen for political affiliation. Just isn't done.

Well not that their politics / world view isn't taken into account.  Governments do want to try and make sure that the 'right kind' of judges are appointed.  It's just that the appointments are almost universally well regarded in their own right.

By the way I'm starting a whiskering campaign for Justice Moldaver to the SCC as of today.   :ph34r:

Neil

Why not start a campaign for Justice B. Boy?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 05:09:58 PM
Well not that their politics / world view isn't taken into account.  Governments do want to try and make sure that the 'right kind' of judges are appointed.  It's just that the appointments are almost universally well regarded in their own right.

By the way I'm starting a whiskering campaign for Justice Moldaver to the SCC as of today.   :ph34r:

A whiskering campaign?  :hmm: Tell me more.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2011, 03:03:16 PM

A couple of points.

You had to go to a founding appointment of the SCC to find a potential flaw and you have selected someone who was likely one of the most able people in the Country at the time available for appointment to the Court.

Right! :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 03:05:21 PM
I agree completely with your final statement here. It will and should be a tough decision.  I don't see how managing an addiction to the point of sobriety is encouraging people to use drugs. But then that's just my opinion. Maybe we should shut down all the AA meetings? which matters not to the powers that be. My suspicion is that it will get closed down, and crime rates will go up. More jails will be built, housing more of the population in order for blackberry and visa etc to get free/cheap labor.

and The base of our majority government will be smiling. the rest of us will be shaking our heads and mumbling to ourselves.

It shouldn't be that tough a decision though - federal government control over criminal law is well established, and the decision to allow a "safe injection site" is clearly within the federal government's powers.

You can debate safe injections and harm reduction all you want, but this comes down to an old-fashioned division of powers question.

:sigh: I'm really not sure why I bother. It's something that actually saves lives, reduces crime, and helps create a community in a place where most of the community is fucking each other over. But I guess there's not ever any bend to the law to change with the times. Not all junkies are stealing your stereo. some of them are nice people who made some poor choices and are actually trying to change their lives, but hey if it offends people, we had better not look to anything other than putting the offending parties in jail.

I really don't understand why it's a bad thing to help people, communities (I live in East Vancouver... this is the only effect it's had on the area, reduction in harm, crime. end of story... everything else is partisan nimby smoke.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 10:25:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 03:05:21 PM

:sigh: I'm really not sure why I bother. It's something that actually saves lives, reduces crime, and helps create a community in a place where most of the community is fucking each other over. But I guess there's not ever any bend to the law to change with the times. Not all junkies are stealing your stereo. some of them are nice people who made some poor choices and are actually trying to change their lives, but hey if it offends people, we had better not look to anything other than putting the offending parties in jail.

I really don't understand why it's a bad thing to help people, communities (I live in East Vancouver... this is the only effect it's had on the area, reduction in harm, crime. end of story... everything else is partisan nimby smoke.

I'm saying it isn't a tough legal decision (or at least it shouldn't be).

It may well be a tough political decision - or depending how you look at it, an easy political decision.

crazy canuck

BB, you are mistaken.  In addition to the division of powers issue there is also a Charter issue if the Court holds that this is within the Federal jurisdiction.  Btw Buddha does a not bad job summarizing the section 7 argument.

Here is a link to the BCCA decision fyi.  http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/CA/10/00/2010BCCA0015cor1.htm

In my opinion, if this is within Federal jurisdiction the Charter issue is going to be a tough decision because it will make the Court choose between the rights of the drug users themselves against the rights of society at large (at least that is how the dissenting opinion saw it).

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.