News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Abortion thread.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

I have no idea really why I'm starting this thread, other than It annoys me that the news is carrying all these stories about how this is going to be an issue in parliament again.

I think this is one promise Harper made that he'd be smart to keep: Not re-opening that can of worms.

CBC just had a bunch of anti-abortion (kudos to the CBC for not using the disingenuous term "pro-life")  protesters (marching at parliament where there are so many abortions done) who were going on about how this should be on the floor of "Congress" which struck me as odd. why would a Canadian be wanting the issue brought up in the states. Especially when it's actually a provincial mandate.

Personally I think since I'm not a woman, I don't really get a say other than to offer my support to a friend, family member who chooses to have an abortion, or (as is mostly the case, not to)

ignore thread, or fill it with your rational/insane opinions, please. I'm trying to be a bit more proactive at Languish in the wake of well, not liking it much in the last few months.
:p

Slargos

[comment about the importance of keeping Aryan birth rates up]

Monoriu

If someone shoots a pregnant woman and kills the baby 30 seconds before he/she is born, I consider that an act of murder. 

If a woman wants an abortion the moment a sperm enters the egg, that harms no one and is no one's business to interfere.

The line whether abortion is acceptable or not should be drawn somewhere in between.  Decide on a line and stick with it. 

CountDeMoney

Reproductive rights are universal rights.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2011, 06:32:14 AM
So men can demand abortions from their baby mommas?  Good to know, Irrational Sloganeer of the People.

It's just like the world's foremost expert on modern economic slavery, who thinks that the right to bear arms is not a human right.  The logical result of that thinking is that the right to self-defense is neutered.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2011, 06:32:14 AM
But not really.  That's just your poisoned American thinking kicking you in the ass again.

Now, as much as abortion is absolutely essential to a modern society, I dislike the idea that only women should have a say in this area of public policy.  Of course, most people fall to the civilized centre of the issue and so aren't especially vocal on the issue, but still.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

That's the leftist media trying to make a spin out of nothing, again.  The Conservatives won't re-open this issue unless they want to end up 3rd opposition with 60 mps.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on May 13, 2011, 10:35:05 AM
That's the leftist media trying to make a spin out of nothing, again.  The Conservatives won't re-open this issue unless they want to end up 3rd opposition with 60 mps.
Megapulses?  Meters per second?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2011, 11:02:26 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 13, 2011, 10:35:05 AM
Megapulses?  Meters per second?

You, a Nazi?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Two SCC judges just announced their retirement.  We shall see now see if the dreaded hidden agenda fear has any merit.

Caliga

:hmm:

Is Canada similar to the US in that people act like the major parties are black and white, but in reality are pretty much the same on the political spectrum... so no matter who gets elected, nothing really changes?  I'm asking honestly as I really don't know much about Canadian politics.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 11:29:34 AM

Is Canada similar to the US in that people act like the major parties are black and white, but in reality are pretty much the same on the political spectrum... so no matter who gets elected, nothing really changes?  I'm asking honestly as I really don't know much about Canadian politics.

It was like that before the former Tory party, and now the Liberals, died: Two big catch-all parties with some differences in ideology, but similar in government management - except that one party went at it way longer than the other.

Until now, the Liberals were considered the "natural governing party" and the Conservatives the alternative to have from time to time when tired of the Libs. Now it's all down the drain.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 11:29:34 AM

:huh:  Pretty much the same?  Really?

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2011, 11:32:01 AM
:huh:  Pretty much the same?  Really?
Sure.  The only real differences are over political football issues like abortion and gay marriage.  Both American parties stand for corruption, big spending, and fiscal recklessness AFAICT. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM
CBC just had a bunch of anti-abortion (kudos to the CBC for not using the disingenuous term "pro-life")  protesters (marching at parliament where there are so many abortions done) who were going on about how this should be on the floor of "Congress" which struck me as odd. why would a Canadian be wanting the issue brought up in the states. Especially when it's actually a provincial mandate.

:lol: Is there a shortage of fundies in Canada so they have to import them or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."