Canada Abortion thread.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 12:25:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 12:05:31 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 11:55:55 AM
Hey CC How many cases actually make it to the Supreme court percentage wise compared to the US. It seems to my barely paying attention brain that the Court here doesn't have to deal with as many big issue cases as they do down south, but maybe they aren't as highly publicized?

The SCC decides fundamental cases all the time.  If you scan the newspapers just this week you will see SCC decisions mentioned in several articles.  One issue they are currently deciding which will probably be of interest to you is whether the decision to close the Insite injection location is a Federal or Provincial matter and whether the Charter would prevent the Feds from closing it if it is a Federal decision.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. I don't think it is a federal issue. It's a local place that has been very successful in keeping people off junk and or dying. But I don't think the Fed cares about that at all, all they see is an opportunity to make hay from people's fears of crime. To me it's sad that that it's even an issue.

The arguments on both sides are more complex.  BTW not all the drug treatment side of the issue believe Insite is a good idea.

If you really want to learn about it you should read the BCCA decision.  The majority held that evidence that Insite reduces harm to the people using it essentially justifies its existance however the Minority reasons thought that was too narrow an analysis and that the question was related to harm to society as a whole not just reduction of harm to the junkies who used the clinic.  The Minority was concerned that allowing addicts to continue to service their addictions did not reduce harm at all but rather encouraged people generally to continue using drugs.

I think this decision is going to be a tough one for the SCC.

I agree completely with your final statement here. It will and should be a tough decision.  I don't see how managing an addiction to the point of sobriety is encouraging people to use drugs. But then that's just my opinion. Maybe we should shut down all the AA meetings? which matters not to the powers that be. My suspicion is that it will get closed down, and crime rates will go up. More jails will be built, housing more of the population in order for blackberry and visa etc to get free/cheap labor.

and The base of our majority government will be smiling. the rest of us will be shaking our heads and mumbling to ourselves.
:p

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2011, 12:49:12 PM
Congrats to Canada for being fiscally responsible enough to actually be worrying about stuff like abortion right now. The rest of the developed world is too worried about keeping the roof from collapsing.

You should note that nobody is worrying about this.  Buddha posted about a non event that appears to be a bunch of yanks holding sings outside our Parliament for some reason.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 01:17:46 PM
Congrats to Canada for being fiscally responsible enough to actually be worrying about stuff like abortion right now. The rest of the developed world is too worried about keeping the roof from collapsing.

You should note that nobody is worrying about this.  Buddha posted about a non event that appears to be a bunch of yanks holding sings outside our Parliament for some reason.

Really, we should be praising the Americans, for having an economy so robust that they can spend their vacations doing that.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

There was a pro-Life rally outside parliament yesterday, but A) I don't think anybody was actually in Parliament and B) I think it's an annual event that buses in a lot of Catholic school kids and isn't supposed to mean that the debate's heating up again or anything.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:50:45 PM
Are you really trying to sell me that no SC judge has ever been nominated because either of his party affiliation or donation to a party? Really?

Yes really.  Again can you can name anyonethat has been appointed to the SCC because of party affliliation.  Also your suggestion that SCC judges have been appointed because of some kind of donation is silly.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2011, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 01:17:46 PM

Really, we should be praising the Americans, for having an economy so robust that they can spend their vacations doing that.  :D

They're actually unemployed not on vacation.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

If jailing scumbag addicts is wrong, I don't want to be right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2011, 01:23:26 PM
Not to worry.  You are not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2011, 01:46:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2011, 01:23:26 PM
Not to worry.  You are not.
Go away.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2011, 01:21:43 PM

They're actually unemployed not on vacation.  :lol:

Then we'll praise America for not employing people like that. USA! USA!

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 01:21:37 PM
Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:50:45 PM
Are you really trying to sell me that no SC judge has ever been nominated because either of his party affiliation or donation to a party? Really?

Yes really.  Again can you can name anyonethat has been appointed to the SCC because of party affliliation.  Also your suggestion that SCC judges have been appointed because of some kind of donation is silly.

I've got one, you ain't going to like it. Télesphore Fournier.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2011, 02:51:46 PM

:lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 02:54:37 PM

Right? Dude only got the job because he was a Liberal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 12:01:34 PM
Can you name a SCC judge that was appointed because of party membership?  I am not even asking you to defend your notion that it usually happens.  I am asking you to name just one.

Never argued that the judges were nominated solely because they were party members, I'm not questioning their competency. Only that it plays a big role in the nomination process, not just of SC judges, but all judges. This is well-known.

Name me one SCC judge that was nominated despite his party affiliation to an opposing party. These are much rarer.

Drakken, I've known some superior court judges (i.e. trial court) who were fairly obvious political appointments.  But for the Court of Appeal and higher both parties have been pretty careful to appoint only well qualified candidates - most of whom have no obvious poltical connections.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2011, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 02:54:37 PM

Right? Dude only got the job because he was a Liberal.

Oh, you were being serious.