News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British Drinking Habits

Started by Admiral Yi, April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Caught some NPR, as is my wont, and BBC World Service was on.  They were doing a story about religion in England, how the CoE has gotten fuzzy wuzzy and immigrant members are trying to Calvinize it up a little.  The story turned to drinking and the reporter interviewed a couple of people on the high street in Rochester, asked them how much they planned to drink that evening.  The dude said 30 beers, the chick said 30 shots of vodka.

Exaggeration?  Outliers?  High end of normal?  30 pints of beers is a ferocious quantity, I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink that much.

Richard Hakluyt

People drink too much in Britain, but I would have thought that 30 pints of beer was more or less a physical impossibility. Now 10 pints of beer, on a major night out, that would be quite common. I normally have 3 or 4 pints of the weaker English beers when I drink now, because I can't take the pace anymore  :huh:

Brazen

It's at the far end of normal but happens quite regularly. A delightful documentary series called Booze Britain (and its sequel Binge Nation) regularly features young folk downing that amount - usually shots before they go out then beer in pub - and throwing up all over the streets. The camera crew keep track of how many units they down. Search for clips on YouTube if you've a strong stomach.

Josquius

The more you drink=the better (or so goes conventional wisdom....)
They're gonna be passed out before they reach 30 though. I doubt most people could fit 30 pints of water in one night let alone beer.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

What's the deal with some sects of Christianity being against alcohol?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

BTW best not to use the words fuzzy-wuzzy and immigrant in the same sentence in the UK.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AMThey were doing a story about religion in England, how the CoE has gotten fuzzy wuzzy and immigrant members are trying to Calvinize it up a little.

Good, we need a little more old fashioned Calvinism in this age.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on April 16, 2009, 05:23:36 AMBTW best not to use the words fuzzy-wuzzy and immigrant in the same sentence in the UK.

Since everybody over there freaks out over a simple abbreviation like "Paki", I figured he'd be safe unless he used "fuzz-wuzz".

Monoriu

Must be an exaggeration.  30 pints is what?  15 litres or something.  I can't imagine anyone drinking that amount of water, let alone beer.

The Larch

Slargos

Barry the bastard consumes that much easily.

I saw a documentary on this massively fat guy who had a 5KG liver.

You will need to consider that urination takes care of a lot of the excess fluids in a relatively rapid fashion.

Me, I get well and truly fucked on 10 0.5l beers myself.  :D

DisturbedPervert

You might be able to do it if you vomited, and then continued drinking.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 16, 2009, 05:37:13 AM
You might be able to do it if you vomited, and then continued drinking.

So it's not unlike college, then.

Eochaid

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AMExaggeration?  Outliers?  High end of normal?  30 pints of beers is a ferocious quantity, I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink that much.

I remember a St Patrick's night from back when I was a bartender when I had 28 pints of Guinness between 3PM and 4AM. That was my personal "best" (worst?)

I was fully functional, working efficiently and actually managed to charm a girl I just met (and whom I eventually married :p).

Nowadays I usually have 3 to 5 pints on an average night out boozing.

Kevin
It's been a while