And we're back!

Main Menu

British Drinking Habits

Started by Admiral Yi, April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2009, 03:31:59 AMSome people talk wonders of taking an aspirin just before hitting the sack too. But water works great. I saw that on Brainiac.  :P

Back in my youth I tried the aspirin trick and it did not work, at least not for me.

katmai

The biggest factor to combat the hangover headache is  to just make sure to drink water to combat the dehydration of alcohol
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

But what if my bladder explodes?  :(

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2009, 06:47:47 AM
But what if my bladder explodes?  :(

Well don't drink that much, sheesh.

But like tonight i had a real light night of 5 beers at the concert and bar afterwords, i'm still gonna make sure to drink a glass of water and leave one on bedside table...the asprin is for the aches i'm gonna have tomorrow after dancing for 3 hours straight. :P

Caliga

I believe the most I've ever drunk in one "sitting" was ironically on my 21st birthday.  :cool:

I started the evening off with two pitchers of snakebite at a local bar.  Me and a friend went and ordered four, and split the booze about 50/50 in terms of consumption.

I then went to another friend's 21st birthday party at his apartment, and had about three screwdrivers, a few beers (I think), and finished the evening off by draining a bottle of everclear, which I drank until passing out on the floor.

I had a hangover for like three days.  :lol:  I still didn't barf though. :yeah:

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2009, 06:53:11 AM
I believe the most I've ever drunk in one "sitting" was ironically on my 21st birthday.  :cool:

I started the evening off with two pitchers of snakebite at a local bar.  Me and a friend went and ordered four, and split the booze about 50/50 in terms of consumption.

I then went to another friend's 21st birthday party at his apartment, and had about three screwdrivers, a few beers (I think), and finished the evening off by draining a bottle of everclear, which I drank until passing out on the floor.

I had a hangover for like three days.  :lol:  I still didn't barf though. :yeah:

Most i ever drank was 12 pack of Rolling Rock and a 5th of tequila by myself. The occasion was quitting a shitty job after three years of working there during college.
I woke up passed out in bathroom, staggered home and slept for next 12hours :lmfao:

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2009, 07:00:00 AMMost i ever drank was 12 pack of Rolling Rock

:mmm:

I miss my Rolling Rock keychain beer opener thingy. :(

Eochaid

Quote from: saskganesh on April 16, 2009, 06:25:13 PM
last summer I drank 23 beers over 20 hours. we had lots of food and party flavours. when I woke up, I was ravenous, and rode my bike to get 2 uncle burgers.

no hangover, but I was still buzzed when I woke up. really, it's all about pacing.

Pints or bottles?

Real beer or Bud?

Kevin
It's been a while

Richard Hakluyt

Bud is 5% IIRC, you get all the liver damage and still no taste  :mad:

katmai

Sask's day sounds like what we did every day my 3 months in Australia.

garbon

The British :wub:

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/alcoholic-architecture-article-8134.html

QuoteSoho has long been considered a central hub of London's drinking culture. Filled with bars, pubs and clubs it was the obvious choice for Alcoholic Architecture, a temporary pop up bar with a twist and the latest innovation from Bompas and Parr.

Breathable Cocktail
Alcoholic Architecture is just that; the pop up bar is actually a walk in gin and tonic. As you step through the doors you'll be encapsulated by a cloud of breathable cocktail. Bompas and Parr have created a gin and tonic mist, complemented by the decor of the bar consisting of oversized limes and huge straws to give the impression of sitting within a giant cocktail. You have to pre-book tickets for hourly slots between 7pm-9pm, costing just £5.

Now the Science Part
If you enjoy savouring an ice cold G and T after a long day at the office then the pop up Alcoholic Architecture bar may be a little disappointing although the novelty factor is obvious, which is perhaps why this bar is only open for a total of four days. Bompas and Parr have latched on to the clever idea of basically creating an alcoholic vapour that you walk into and breathe in rather than having to drink. The steam is produced using a system utilised in Antony Gormley's installation at the Hayward in 2007 called Blind Light. It may not quench your thirst but it has the same effect as drinking the liquid version of a gin and tonic.

Bompas and Parr
Alcoholic Architecture isn't the first innovation utilised by Sam Bompas and Harry Parr. They produce fine English jellies for such high end bars as the Hawksmoor and even designed a glow in the dark jelly for the UCL chemistry department. They also curate culinary events bringing together the world of food and drink with that of architecture. Their last event was scratch and sniff cinema in February where they screened The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover and created aromas of rotting meat and dusty books to capture the key moments in the movie, which were micro-encapsulated and printed onto special scratch 'n' sniff cards.

Alcoholic Architecture pop up bar is open 16th-18th April and 23rd-25th April 2009 between 7pm-9pm. Tickets are available for hourly slots and cost £5
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 11:26:17 AM
The British :wub:

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/alcoholic-architecture-article-8134.html
Went past that the other day, it's just round the corner from work. We'll pop in and inhale a few G&Ts after pay day ^_^

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:03:44 PM
Anyway, people who drink that much need to be doing it at home, not a bar.  You'll save lots of money and no chance of a DUI (not that I imagine most people in say London drive often, if at all...)

Ugh. Drinking at home is for total losers. What's the point if there's no hot chicks you can do stupid things around or friends you can laugh at and who can laugh at you?

Anyway, as Garbon said, drunk != puking.

By the way, the best recipe against hangovers by far is having some watermelon before you go to bed. Helps replace fluids, vitamins and all the shit you lose during a night out. If you couple that with something starchy and a yogurt you're hangover free for sure.