And we're back!

Main Menu

British Drinking Habits

Started by Admiral Yi, April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on April 16, 2009, 07:05:46 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:42:29 AM
I haven't been drunk in probably five years or so.  I like to drink, but I don't understand the appeal in getting drunk and having to deal with a massive hangover the next day.  Also, I've never puked from drinking.  :cool:

Heh. I don't understand the point of drinking when you're not going to get drunk.

I don't understand what's the point of drinking in order to get drunk on purpose.

Valmy

Heh. I don't understand the point of drinking when you're not going to get drunk.

I guess I fail to see why doing something likely to make me feel like shit and puke is a worthwhile goal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I think there is a difference between getting buzzed, drunk, and pass out/puking drunk. It's fun to go dancing when drunk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:14:25 AM
I think there is a difference between getting buzzed, drunk, and pass out/puking drunk. It's fun to go dancing when drunk.

I have pretty low tolerance so I either get buzzed or I get sick.  There is no drunk really my body will not let me go that far.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:01:07 AM
Seems like an understandable (although not reasonable) amount. When I was doing data entry for a clinical trial involving alcoholism, many cited on their drink calenders that they had days of 64+ drinks.
:huh: How can they just not keel over and die?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2009, 11:16:24 AM
Seems like an understandable (although not reasonable) amount. When I was doing data entry for a clinical trial involving alcoholism, many cited on their drink calenders that they had days of 64+ drinks.

If it's beer and wine, I would think they'd just keel over.  IIRC it's very hard to get fatal alcohol poisoning from simple alcoholic beverages from a single massive binge.  You need to be drinking hard liquor.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

I know a guy, who no longer drinks, but at one point he was drinking two bottles of whiskey/vodka and a dozen beers per day.   :blink:

ulmont

Acquired tolerance to alcohol.  Up until the point that the liver just gives up, which takes a while, you can improve your tolerance dramatically just by practice.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on April 16, 2009, 11:34:21 AM
Acquired tolerance to alcohol.  Up until the point that the liver just gives up, which takes a while, you can improve your tolerance dramatically just by practice.

Yep, which leads to you drinking more to get that feeling.

Immediately after college and my binging, I needed at least a bottle of champagne and a shot or two to get drunk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eochaid

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 11:44:35 AMYep, which leads to you drinking more to get that feeling.

Immediately after college and my binging, I needed at least a bottle of champagne and a shot or two to get drunk.

:mellow:

That's actually a pretty small amount of alcohol...

Kevin
It's been a while

garbon

Quote from: Eochaid on April 16, 2009, 11:49:15 AM
  :mellow:

That's actually a pretty small amount of alcohol...

Kevin

I'm an American not a big boozer. :blurgh:

Anyway, I'm curious as to what people mean when they say "drunk" as clearly Valmy had a different conception of it than myself.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 08:48:19 AMNot to mention a financial impossibility.  British people must be incredibly wealthy.

30 pints is what?  120 dollars on one night out drinking?
More like 150-200 dollars.  They generally only do it at the weekend so twice a week, unless it's a bank holiday weekend.  I think 30 is not entirely likely.  10-15 would seem a more plausible figure and people will spend over 100 quid on a weekend.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2009, 01:19:55 PM
More like 150-200 dollars.  They generally only do it at the weekend so twice a week, unless it's a bank holiday weekend.  I think 30 is not entirely likely.  10-15 would seem a more plausible figure and people will spend over 100 quid on a weekend.

So they dump 500 dollars a month just on drinking?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 10:12:37 AM

I guess I fail to see why doing something likely to make me feel like shit and puke is a worthwhile goal.

Well the goal is to drink enough to get that really nice euphoric feeling, but to stop before you get to the point of feeling shitty that next day...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Wow.  That's a lot of booze.
and the horse you rode in on