News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British Drinking Habits

Started by Admiral Yi, April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I haven't been drunk in probably five years or so.  I like to drink, but I don't understand the appeal in getting drunk and having to deal with a massive hangover the next day.  Also, I've never puked from drinking.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Did you ever puke from gas station food?

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 16, 2009, 06:44:28 AM
Did you ever puke from gas station food?

No, I don't puke from anything.  I have a : steel stomach. :smoke:

The last time I puked was when I got salmonella, in 2000.

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:42:29 AM
I haven't been drunk in probably five years or so.  I like to drink, but I don't understand the appeal in getting drunk and having to deal with a massive hangover the next day.  Also, I've never puked from drinking.  :cool:

Heh. I don't understand the point of drinking when you're not going to get drunk.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 05:16:44 AM
What's the deal with some sects of Christianity being against alcohol?

If you're genuinely interested, go back & read up on the Temperance movement. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Iormlund on April 16, 2009, 07:05:46 AMHeh. I don't understand the point of drinking when you're not going to get drunk.

a) I love the taste of alcohol
b) You can still get a nice buzz without getting full-blown drunk.

My assumption is that people who frequently get intentionally drunk are trying to self-medicate for depression. :)
I'm virtually always happy, so I have no need to do that.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AM
The dude said 30 beers, the chick said 30 shots of vodka.

Haven't they done enough stories about Amy Winehouse and Blake Fielder-Civil by now? :rolleyes:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Brazen

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2009, 07:07:49 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 05:16:44 AM
What's the deal with some sects of Christianity being against alcohol?

If you're genuinely interested, go back & read up on the Temperance movement.
My Dad signed the pledge. He got better :D

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 07:09:04 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 16, 2009, 07:05:46 AMHeh. I don't understand the point of drinking when you're not going to get drunk.

My assumption is that people who frequently get intentionally drunk are trying to self-medicate for depression. :)

B is indeed the way.
Getting totally pissed is only good on rare occasions. Having a bit of Dutch courage and good feeling though is always welcome.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2009, 04:40:33 AMbut I would have thought that 30 pints of beer was more or less a physical impossibility.

Not to mention a financial impossibility.  British people must be incredibly wealthy.

30 pints is what?  120 dollars on one night out drinking?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

schaksen

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 08:48:19 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2009, 04:40:33 AMbut I would have thought that 30 pints of beer was more or less a physical impossibility.

Not to mention a financial impossibility.  British people must be incredibly wealthy.

30 pints is what?  120 dollars on one night out drinking?
But you can save the cab fare by sleeping in an alley :unsure:
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

PDH

I forgot how to drink booze about 20 years ago.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 07:09:04 AM

Alcohol = chemical euphoria, you don't have to be anything other than human to find some appeal to that.  Obviously tastes vary, but a lot of normal people enjoy mind altering substances.

Sadly though the problem with alcohol is it's very difficult to be responsible if you're shitfaced, so I haven't been the Otto of old since my daughter was born :o.

As to the thread topic, I don't doubt it at all.  Once I read into Andre the Giant's drinking habits I don't doubt anything is possible when it comes to consumption of alcohol.

Sure, most of legends are based on second hand information heard from other wrestlers--but amongst pro wrestlers who are infamously degenerate substance abusers, drinkers et cetera he is overwhelmingly the one who they all say was the greatest drinker alive.  Several have gone on record saying they witnessed him down over 100 12 oz. beers in a single night (on multiple occasions.)

garbon

Seems like an understandable (although not reasonable) amount. When I was doing data entry for a clinical trial involving alcoholism, many cited on their drink calenders that they had days of 64+ drinks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.