The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2011, 12:02:05 PM
This is going to make it very tough to call Obama soft on anything the next few years. I read there was a take no prisoner order, which would be tougher than Bush. He also launched an attack in Pakistan across the street from a Pakistani military installation without their permission. And then had Osama tossed into the ocean immediately afterward.
I really haven't considered Obama soft on the wars and military actions the US has been fighting. He stepped up drone attacks and actions in Pakistan .He added troops and stepped up the Afghan fighting, though he set a quasi-timetable for withdrawal. But I don't think it's etched in stone, and contingent to some extent on what the situation is. The US was still attacking AQ types in Yemen, with the govt there allowing it and going along. He hasn't seemed to be soft on the anti-radical war.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 12:36:45 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on May 02, 2011, 12:05:52 PM
This is going to make it very tough to call Obama soft on anything the next few years.

Yeah. Gaddaffi's son and grandchildren this day, Binnie & his son the next. What's he going to do next week?

Ahmedinejadabadad?

:lol: That would be interesting.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

TEHRAN (FNA)- The US has killed the Al-Qaeda leader, Osama Bin Laden, in a bid to prevent any possible leakage of intelligence and information about the US-Al-Qaeda joint terrorist operations, a senior Iranian legislator underscored on Monday.   

"The West was fully satisfied with bin Laden's performance during the past years and today... it was obliged to kill him to prevent possible leakage of the priceless intelligence that he had," member of the parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Javad Jahangirzadeh told FNA on Monday.

He mentioned that the West seeks to rebuild its damaged face in the international community, and reiterated that Bin Laden's survival could endanger the interests of the western countries and disclose their past and future clandestine operations.

Jahangirzadeh warned the world countries that the West has hatched a new plot to find new pretexts for invading and occupying the Muslim countries.

Obama announced on Sunday that bin Laden was killed in a US operation in Pakistan.

Obama said he had directed helicopter-borne US armed forces to launch an attack against a heavily fortified compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan on Sunday acting on a lead that first emerged last August.

"A small team of Americans... killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body," Obama said.

Senior US officials said that in addition to bin Laden, three adult males died in the raid, two who were believed to be couriers for the Al-Qaeda leader, and one who was said to be one of his adult sons.

One woman who was being used as a human shield was also killed, the officials said.

I'll never understand the hyper-susceptibility to conspiracy theories in that part of the world. And also on pdox OT.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

It would be cool if Obama went on a killing spree and offed a different dictator each day.

Obama: new Chuck Norris?

DGuller

Quote from: Legbiter on May 02, 2011, 12:05:52 PM
This is going to make it very tough to call Obama soft on anything the next few years.

Yeah. Gaddaffi's son and grandchildren this day, Binnie & his son the next. What's he going to do next week?
At that rate, Obama will become the next Charles Martel before the year is out.

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 11:36:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 11:18:38 AM
Still happy to hear the good news.  And to think.  We couldn't have this thread on the old EUOT.  No celebrating the death of a person.  Even if the person is a mass murderer. :rolleyes:

Apparently death can be celebrated, bt not murder, and Stonewall gave a pass to this because he didn't consider it murder.
Surely OHGamer will ban Stonewall and everyone on the forums, before hopefully shooting himself in the head?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 02, 2011, 12:42:33 PM

I'll never understand the hyper-susceptibility to conspiracy theories in that part of the world. And also on pdox OT.

Conspiracy theories are a symptom of cognitive dissonance. They build on each other since they almost always set the unsubstantiated assumption in the same place. The cognitive dissonance exists in a presupposition which is not consistent with observed reality and reason. People will die for a much loved bad idea. The Arab world is so heavily beset with conspiracy theories because they have a lot of beloved bad ideas and because from time to time conspiracies do happen.

Think of the basic assumptions of the Arab world. They have the true religion that Allah wants to succeed. Allah will grant them victory. They are brave, honorable and competent warriors. Bravery, honor and competence will grant them victory. etc.etc. All of these basic presuppositions are patently false but they are presumed to be true. When the real world rolls around and hard facts hit the ground people basically have two options.

A) ditch their false presuppositions
B) find a false explanation that connects their presuppositions to reality

option A is Science, option B is Conspiracy Theorism
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2011, 11:49:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 11:21:45 AM
This is the part that does not compute for me. Why take great points to make sure it is him, and then promptly drop his remains into the ocean? This is going to fuel conspiracy theories like nothing else.  :huh:

Because you don't want a place to become a shrine or even a place to pay respects. You can get away with dumping him into the ocean a lot easier when you first get his body and the news cycle is dominated with the actual killing. You can't do that if you hold onto his body for a week--disregarding any 24 hour rule.

But now the entire ocean is a holy place that no infidel is allowed to touch. :osama:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Legbiter

Quote from: KRonn on May 02, 2011, 12:39:41 PM
I really haven't considered Obama soft on the wars and military actions the US has been fighting. He stepped up drone attacks and actions in Pakistan .He added troops and stepped up the Afghan fighting, though he set a quasi-timetable for withdrawal. But I don't think it's etched in stone, and contingent to some extent on what the situation is. The US was still attacking AQ types in Yemen, with the govt there allowing it and going along. He hasn't seemed to be soft on the anti-radical war.

How is Fox spinning this? "African-American male confesses to murder of homeless elderly man" or something else?  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 02, 2011, 12:42:33 PM

Magical thinking.  The inability to correctly ascertain cause and effect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

We had taken a beef roast out of the freezer to cook for today's dinner.  If I had known this was going to happen, we'd have had a pork roast instead.

Good job, Mr President.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2011, 11:40:13 AM
Obviously I wouldn't have thought about it, but kind of interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/httphealthlandtimecom20110502whosbinladenkidsbornafter911wanttoknowxidrssfullhealthsciyahoo

QuoteWho's Bin Laden? Kids Born After 9/11 Want to Know

President Obama certainly wasn't taking the sensibilities of West Coast children into consideration when he made his stunner of a speech Sunday night: Osama bin Laden is dead. It took parents by surprise. We weren't ready, had no time to hustle the kids into bed before flipping on the television.

Minutes before, my girls, 3 and 6, had been frolicking in their bubble bath. Now, shivering in towels, these children born after four airplanes attacked a September sky, had a question: who is Bin Laden?

My 3-year old asked me who bin Laden was when he saw his pic in a news article on my phone (he was looking for any excuse to not sleep).  I just told him he was a bad guy who had hurt a lot of people and that we "got him".  That seemed to be enough to satisfy his curiosity.  I think he could have handled more details but since he didn't press for any I let it go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: Legbiter on May 02, 2011, 01:13:14 PM
Quote from: KRonn on May 02, 2011, 12:39:41 PM

How is Fox spinning this? "African-American male confesses to murder of homeless elderly man" or something else?  ;)

"Dazzling Urbanite kills homeowner in home invasion."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Certainly, the fact that Pakistani Press has published an internet photoshop edit as the true picture of the dead osama is going to be the cause of eternal conspiracy theories...

I really fucking hope they still have the body