The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I know that at least a few of the local affiliates preempted programing for this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 07:21:41 AM
A honest question for the yanks, particulary to the ones of a more martial persuation: Will hard proof be produced at some point in the short or medium term about this operation and its results and/or particulars or do we have to trust the official statements at face value?

I'm just going to have to go out on a limb and take my chances on the "Wag-the-Capricorn One" machine, because this news, and they way it was done, is just too damned satisfying.
Simply really, really satisfying.

Razgovory

The White House is considering releasing photos and video.  My only hope is that they avoid releasing anything that can identify the soldiers responsible.  If some of them want to be know, that's fine, but I don't want to see soldier's families risk retaliation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 09:09:32 PM
My only hope is that they avoid releasing anything that can identify the soldiers responsible.  If some of them want to be know, that's fine, but I don't want to see soldier's families risk retaliation.

It's JSOC. I don't think that'll be a problem.

CountDeMoney

I love it.  Nothing like big Ed on MSNBC rerunning GOP attacks on the cut-and-run community organizer from the 2008 campaign, like John McCain's "Obama will want to attack Pakistan" and he'd "telegraph his punches" soundbites.

I think those who questioned the grit of the freshman senator--nay, Palin's "professor of law"--got their fucking answers.

Gonna have to find another topic to hit the Kenyan with in 2012, fellas.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2011, 09:11:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 09:09:32 PM
My only hope is that they avoid releasing anything that can identify the soldiers responsible.  If some of them want to be know, that's fine, but I don't want to see soldier's families risk retaliation.

It's JSOC. I don't think that'll be a problem.

You're probably right, I just want them to make sure.

I'm surprised that it worked out so well.  It was an extremely dangerous mission (flying into the midst of a town populated by Pakistani soldier), where something went really wrong (helicopter crash).  It's a testament to the skill of the soldiers involved that none were wounded in the raid.

And you are right.  It's very satisfying.  Especially the reports that Bin Laden used his own wife as a human shield during the gunfight.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2011, 09:19:07 PM
I love it.  Nothing like big Ed on MSNBC rerunning GOP attacks on the cut-and-run community organizer from the 2008 campaign, like John McCain's "Obama will want to attack Pakistan" and he'd "telegraph his punches" soundbites.

I think those who questioned the grit of the freshman senator--nay, Palin's "professor of law"--got their fucking answers.

Full credit for Obama being in charge when bin Laden was finally run to ground, but damn, its not like he went in there and gunned them down himself. I don't know how this shows he has "grit".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2011, 09:22:48 PM

Full credit for Obama being in charge when bin Laden was finally run to ground, but damn, its not like he went in there and gunned them down himself. I don't know how this shows he has "grit".

The mission could have gone really bad.  Eagle Claw bad.  It was a risky enterprise.

Neil

Well, he actually had the balls to have him killed.  That's something.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Does anyone really think Bush or Clinton or Bush Sr. or Cart...ok, maybe not Carter.

But really, its not like any other President would be all "No no, lets not kill Osama...."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2011, 09:35:31 PM
Does anyone really think Bush or Clinton or Bush Sr. or Cart...ok, maybe not Carter.

But really, its not like any other President would be all "No no, lets not kill Osama...."

Carter did order a similar mission.  A mission that failed.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 09:37:37 PM

Carter did order a similar mission.  A mission that failed.

Helicopters with maintenance problems then too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

At this point I'm willing to give him credit anytime something good happens. At least that way, I can pretend my president stands for something.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Not Clinton, no.  And I'm not 100% sure about Bush-41.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

He made the call to use the highest risk option to US forces.  Could've JDAM'd him from 10,000 feet.  Could've asked for Pakistani assistance to assuage their sensitivities.  But no.  He opted for the Special Forces takedown, with two to the head.