The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

So much for the romance of hiding out in secret caves in the mountains.

Turns out he was living in a nice spread some tony suburb of Pakistan, like a character in a laugh-tracked TV sitcom gone horribly wrong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 07:21:41 AM
A honest question for the yanks, particulary to the ones of a more martial persuation: Will hard proof be produced at some point in the short or medium term about this operation and its results and/or particulars or do we have to trust the official statements at face value?

Oh, the conspiracy theorists will never accept OBL is dead.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2011, 08:56:33 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2011, 08:29:09 AM
I went down to Ground Zero to see what was going on. I wish I'd had miniature American flags to sell :(

You could've offered abortions.

Heh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Siege on May 02, 2011, 09:27:00 AM
A honest question for the yanks, particulary to the ones of a more martial persuation: Will hard proof be produced at some point in the short or medium term about this operation and its results and/or particulars or do we have to trust the official statements at face value?

Oh, the conspiracy theorists will never accept OBL is dead.

Hard core nutters of course, but softer core nutters might be placated by some indisputable proof of the deed.

The Brain

I still can't get people to accept that Jimmy Carter is dead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: jamesww on May 02, 2011, 06:24:54 AM
Today is a good day for the world.

I think we might be pleasantly surprised by the ineffectual AQ response to this.

I'm pleased they offered the body to the Saudis, who apparently refused. Personally I'd like to have seen it left on the front steps of the Saudi 'Education Ministry' in Riyadh.

Given the proximity of his 'hide out' / guest house to a Pakistani military base and the country's capital the USA needs to really stick it to the Pakistanis about what they're involvement was in his 'hiding'.

Good to see CdM beat Timmay to breaking news thread of the decade, by a country mile.  :D

Well, at least there is one good thing has come out of this. The Pakistani's cannot but learn the lesson that one should check the houses within 100 yards of their version of West Point for rats and terrorists.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Finally, something I can praise Obama for.  This might be a moment equivalent to Clinton's welfare reform & NAFTA efforts.  We didn't arrest him & try to prosecute him-- we kept it simple & put a bullet in his head.  Good show, Barry :thumbsup:

Only thing that pisses me off about the whole thing is that my wife found out about it before I did.  I was putting together some IKEA crap & also trying to convince my 3-year old that his room did not somehow get darker because he has a new bed.  While I was sitting with him I checked the news on my phone & then ran & told my wife, who had apparently known for a couple hours from peoples' Facebook updates.  You'd think she'd clue me in with news like that...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

jamesww

Quote from: Monoriu on May 02, 2011, 10:25:55 AM
This made my day  :showoff:

Yeah, but watch out, as the next mission is to swoop in and rescue you from communist China.   :P

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 09:44:15 AM
Hard core nutters of course, but softer core nutters might be placated by some indisputable proof of the deed.

Who cares?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

I hope they offer nothing more.  The twitching of the conspirotards is always most amusing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

JacobL

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2011, 10:24:48 AM
We didn't arrest him & try to prosecute him-- we kept it simple & put a bullet in his head.  Good show, Barry :thumbsup:

Yep.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2011, 09:22:17 AM
Turns out he was living in a nice spread some tony suburb of Pakistan, like a character in a laugh-tracked TV sitcom gone horribly wrong.
:yes:

Obama to Pakistan:  "Loosie, jew gotsa lotta splaining to do!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2011, 10:24:48 AM
You'd think she'd clue me in with news like that...
That information is shared on a need-to-know basis, son.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points