News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iraqi police complicit in gay slayings

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2009, 01:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2009, 09:02:27 AM
I have to say this just makes me more confused about the openly gay man who was all ready to return to Iraq after getting asylum in NYC.

My confusion was already maxed out with his story.  This new story surprises me not at all.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I like that the plan that because people threaten you with violence, you should pretend to be something else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

25 Gays killed in Iraqs!!!!!

Tens of thousands of other people may also be dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
I like that the plan that because people threaten you with violence, you should pretend to be something else.
Yeah. If only all the retarded Jews in Germany in 1930s shaved off their beards, put on some Hilterjugend uniforms and stopped going to synagogues, Holocaust wouldn't have happened. They have noone to blame but themselves.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2009, 11:43:24 AM
Yeah. If only all the retarded Jews in Germany in 1930s shaved off their beards, put on some Hilterjugend uniforms and stopped going to synagogues, Holocaust wouldn't have happened. They have noone to blame but themselves.

Didn't you watch Europa Europa? :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2009, 11:43:24 AM

Actually, if I were a Jew in Germany in 1935, I would fucking leave.

I would not prace about shoviong my Jewness down the throat of people who like to kill Jews.

If I was not capable of leaving, I would seriously consider my options for concealing my identity.

being alive >>>>>>> being right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Isn't part of the problem that countries aren't accepting many Iraqi assylum seekers any more?  I mean in the UK the government policy is now to deport Afghani and Iraqi refugees because those countries are 'safe' :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2009, 11:49:41 AM

I would not prace about shoviong my Jewness down the throat of people who like to kill Jews.

If I was not capable of leaving, I would seriously consider my options for concealing my identity.

So many Jews were at least partially at fault for their deaths?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 11:53:57 AM

Is having any responsibility the same as being at 'fault'?

I mean if I start hanging around with people I know want to kill me, and I end up dead it is not my fault I am dead...but I do have a bit of responsibility for not being very prudent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2009, 11:55:37 AM

I mean if I start hanging around with people I know want to kill me, and I end up dead it is not my fault I am dead...but I do have a bit of responsibility for not being very prudent.

So you can be partly responsible but not share in any of the fault?

Regardless, I'd suggest that living in a country is a bit different from hanging around with people who want to kill you.  I'm actually a bit puzzled to hear everyone suggest that minorities should just blend in and there won't be any trouble.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 11:53:57 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2009, 11:49:41 AM

Not at fault of course, but at the same time if you know your life is in serious danger, you are an idiot for not reacting accordingly, or thinking that because the unfairness of it means diddly squat.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 11:58:47 AM

Regardless, I'd suggest that living in a country is a bit different from hanging around with people who want to kill you.  I'm actually a bit puzzled to hear everyone suggest that minorities should just blend in and there won't be any trouble.

I think to not do so is very courageous.  But it is just not a smart thing to do if not getting killed is something important to you.

The people who joined up with MLK were courageous and did have some responsibility for taking on a role that was likely to get them hurt or killed.  But they felt that possibility was worth the risk.

I guess 'fault' means to me that somehow they got what they deserved or that somehow if I was putting somebody on trial for the murder we could consider it a suicide.  That is a bit different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2009, 12:03:46 PM
Not at fault of course, but at the same time if you know your life is in serious danger, you are an idiot for not reacting accordingly, or thinking that because the unfairness of it means diddly squat.

Of course, if everyone reacts that way, how will things ever change (for the better)?

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 11:58:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2009, 11:55:37 AM

Nice strawman.

I think the only thing that has been said is that if you are gay and live somewhere like Iraq, you are an idiot of you are not being rather circumspect about it. That doesn't mean that there "won't be any trouble", it just means that you won't be dead.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 12:05:00 PM
Of course, if everyone reacts that way, how will things ever change (for the better)?

They probably wont.