News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iraqi police complicit in gay slayings

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2009, 01:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2009, 01:39:34 PM
And once the Muslim world joins the 20th century, that can be the case for them as well.

The second sentence of my post was rather important.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

But I rather doubt that gay men in Sadr City walking about with their faces painted are really going for social justice so much as some kind of desperate plea for attention, even if it kills them. And it will.

I'll agree with the bold bit. They are probably just doing it because that's who they are.  I doubt it is for attention as we all know what kind of attention they will get, and it won't be fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 01:49:02 PM
But I rather doubt that gay men in Sadr City walking about with their faces painted are really going for social justice so much as some kind of desperate plea for attention, even if it kills them. And it will.

I'll agree with the bold bit. They are probably just doing it because that's who they are.  I doubt it is for attention as we all know what kind of attention they will get, and it won't be fun.

See my first post in the thread.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 01:44:30 PM
Quote from: dps on April 15, 2009, 01:42:00 PM
Bah, that's just teen angst having nothing to do with your sexual orientation.  In high school, everybody is desparately trying to fit in, but in all teens' own minds, they don't fit in.  So almost everybody spends all their time worrying about how everything they do will look to the other students, and being miserable. 

Actually, that was another component in there but it was different.  After all, I don't think teenage angst usually extends to fear about one's own family. :mellow:

Well, it does extend to fear of being embarrassed by your family.  But, yeah, I understand that's not what you're talking about.  Basically, I'm just saying that almost all high school students are hiding themselves to an extent.

EDIT:  Hmm, I suppose that we can draw some parallels between high schools and violent, backwards third-world societies.   :D

garbon

Quote from: dps on April 15, 2009, 02:34:33 PM
EDIT:  Hmm, I suppose that we can draw some parallels between high schools and violent, backwards third-world societies.   :D

Likely...which is probably why they make kids read Lord of the Flies in highschool. :lol:

Razgovory

I think garbon and Marty should stand up for their fellow gays and go to Iraq and protest.  It would be a great Languish meetup!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 15, 2009, 07:52:24 PM
Trust me, reading about it is more tiring.

I doubt it.  Reading three sentences shouldn't be taxing unless you have a mental condition. :(

Martinus

Quote from: dps on April 15, 2009, 01:42:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 01:33:08 PM
I can only speak for myself, but it ate away at me. I spent a lot of time concerned that people would find out and pushed people away because of that fear.  Living a lie, so to speak, is psychologically tiring.

Bah, that's just teen angst having nothing to do with your sexual orientation.  In high school, everybody is desparately trying to fit in, but in all teens' own minds, they don't fit in.  So almost everybody spends all their time worrying about how everything they do will look to the other students, and being miserable.
It ate me away when I was a closeted adult, too. You have no idea. It's extremely psychologically tiring and damaging to always live in fear and in a lie.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 01:48:40 AM
It ate me away when I was a closeted adult, too. You have no idea. It's extremely psychologically tiring and damaging to always live in fear and in a lie.

I don't soubt that this is true.

It was extremely tiring and damaging for Anne Frank to live ina  garret.

Still preferable to being killed though.

If there was ever a class of people deserving of asylum in the West, it should be homosexuals living in fundy Islamic countries.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned