News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Remakes

Started by Josquius, April 14, 2009, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've just read about a programme called 'Days Like These'. Apparently this was a British remake of that 70s show- on youtube you can see some of it and it is really quite awful. Though all my research points to it being a genuine British remake it seems to be practically a spoof.

From here though I've began looking into other remakes...There's a lot of them out there. Most of course go the other way. I've just read about some strange things.
Some I already knew of course. The American Office is a pretty good programme. The American Red Dwarf is a legendarily bad joke. But others I didn't know.

Sanford and Son- I've vaguely heard of this programme before. Its referenced in Scrubs quite often. I've never actually seen it though. Reading on it....WTF!?!? THEY REMADE STEPTOE AND SON!?!? Thats just....bizzare. Such a British programme.

All in the family- Again, a TV show apparently well known in the US. What i didn't know though is....They remade Till Death Us Do Part :O Blimey. How on earth did that work? The US is a lot more sensitive about such issues than Britain....

Theres some weird stuff in the world.
Just, what is wrong with people with these remakes though?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

West Wing is a remake of Yes, Minister.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

saskganesh

Three's Company= Robin's Nest
humans were created in their own image

Hansmeister

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2009, 01:09:18 PM
West Wing is a remake of Yes, Minister.

Only that the humor is unintentional in the remake.

MadImmortalMan

Meh. It's no secret the BBC has been exporting sitcoms to the US for decades. Some of them have even surpassed the originals.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

"Late Show with David Letterman" is just a remake of "Late Night with David Letterman".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Dunno why you would think "Sanford and Son" a strange remake of "Steptoe and Son."  The situations were very similar.  Ditto for turning "'Til Death Do Us Part" into "All in the Family."  In both cases the cultural translation was almost effortless, though the US series didn't use nearly as crude a language as the Brit originals.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2009, 03:50:48 PM
"Late Show with David Letterman" is just a remake of "Late Night with David Letterman".

I knew it! The bastards...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2009, 07:09:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2009, 03:50:48 PM

I knew it! The bastards...

I think that was my most logical post of the day.  I've been a bit loopy lately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2009, 06:16:44 PM
Dunno why you would think "Sanford and Son" a strange remake of "Steptoe and Son."  The situations were very similar.  Ditto for turning "'Til Death Do Us Part" into "All in the Family."  In both cases the cultural translation was almost effortless, though the US series didn't use nearly as crude a language as the Brit originals.
I've never seen the American versions. I only know of them through second hand sources. I will need to seek them out sometime, wonder if any of the same scripts were used.
██████
██████
██████

Mikael Hakim

Watching American The Office after a British one is an awkward experience. I mean, it's not really that bad, but people with different names... playing basically the same characters... uh

Sheilbh

Quote from: Mikael Hakim on April 15, 2009, 09:20:45 AM
Watching American The Office after a British one is an awkward experience. I mean, it's not really that bad, but people with different names... playing basically the same characters... uh
It gets better once the American Office sort-of goes its own way and starts tackling uniquely American issues.  I think the diversity day in the first season is the first time you even get a hint of how good the show gets. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I love the American Office.
I like it better than I ever did the UK one.
██████
██████
██████

Korea

I didn't realize how many remakes there are. Weird, man.
I want my mother fucking points!