News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adventures in Self-Publishing

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2011, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on April 22, 2011, 04:30:08 PM
Thought one dollar was a decent price to settle my curiosity for this. Also, paypal makes it too easy to buy stuff.

Oh yeah :cheers:

I apologize for the handful of typos that Meri mentioned. They (and a few others) have been fixed on my end, but it takes Smashwords a long time (I'm guessing another 10 hours or so) to reflect the updated file I gave them.

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2011, 04:48:08 PM
i was gonna buy it now, but confused as to which option to buy!

What are you going to read it on?

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2011, 04:49:06 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2011, 04:48:08 PM
i was gonna buy it now, but confused as to which option to buy!

What are you going to read it on?

probably my iphone as always need best to have something to read on that to have like on these trips i just got back from.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

LRF is for the Sony Reader.

Mobi is, I believe, the native format for the kindle, while ePub is the standard for most readers (I believe including the iPhone etc). In addition, most readers are able to handle PDF.

... but tell you what, if you get the wrong version and don't have access to the other versions (I don't know if you do or don't) I'll send you a complimentary copy of the right version (once you figure out which one that is for you).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2011, 04:50:16 PMprobably my iphone as always need best to have something to read on that to have like on these trips i just got back from.

What reader do you use? Adope Digital Editions reads ePub, if you have the Kindle reader from Amazon you'll want Mobi. I think most of the third party readers support both (with ePub being the most common).

katmai

Yeah i don't have any atm, but will be picking one up and then grabbing the correct format for that :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

You can choose between all the options after purchase.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

:lol: (@ Katmai)

Well... if you picturing yourself purchasing more commercial books to read online, do you expect to do so through Apple (via iBooks), via Amazon or via other online bookstores?

If Apple, Barnes and Noble (or did they go bankrupt?) and other online retailers, get iBooks and get the ePub file. If Amazon, get the Kindle Reader app for your iPhone and get the Mobi file.

That's my understanding, anyhow.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on April 22, 2011, 05:10:44 PM
You can choose between all the options after purchase.

Well that makes it easier :cheers:

Liep

Also, I just finished this and was quite pleased at how Edvard Grieg's - In the Hall of the Mountain King came on at the exact right time in Winamp.

It's a fun little story. Arkenbright is a good character, a prince who wants to do what princes do but can't quite do it right. I think I'd pay another dollar to read about that dragon.

(And I only noticed a couple of typos :P)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 22, 2011, 04:11:00 PM
Quote from: Tim OrtizMistborn is awesome! Go fuck yourself! :ultra:

What, seriously?  This is what you finally lash out about? :lol: :hug:

I suggested it to her and Slargos and they loved it. Therefore you insults are directed at me!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on April 22, 2011, 05:20:16 PM
Also, I just finished this and was quite pleased at how Edvard Grieg's - In the Hall of the Mountain King came on at the exact right time in Winamp.

It's a fun little story. Arkenbright is a good character, a prince who wants to do what princes do but can't quite do it right. I think I'd pay another dollar to read about that dragon.

(And I only noticed a couple of typos :P)

Your first customer, now your first fan.  :w00t:

Josquius

Wouldn't the best thing to do with writing short stories be to publish them free online somewhere? You're not going to get rich by getting friends and family to buy the odd copy. You could however attract fans online and then somewhere down the line release compilations, a novel, etc... and start earning worthwhile money.
██████
██████
██████