News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Hour?

Started by Faeelin, April 07, 2011, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Decided to play Kaiserreich mod; I really think that the Kaiserreich modders need to reduce the number of dissent events given the reduction in the ability of consumer goods to reduce dissent.

Also...

9 Australasian Divisions have been conducting an amphibious assault on partisan held Adak (1 militia division) from July 17th 1937 to October 2nd 1937 (now) during which time they have "won" the battle three times - yet the fight is still ongoing...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Well, I really think that "Kaiserreich" in "Darkest Hour" is the equivalent of slow torture (and should be banned by the Geneva coinvention) when playing as Canada.

(1) When reloading, it is not fun having to reload multiple times due to events triggering that are supposed to trigger when a nation leaves an alliance...not when a game is reloaded (average number of reloads required = 7.)

(2) March 1938 - mid-April 1938 taking the best part of eight hours due to multiple reloads...as either Australasia or Japan jump ship from the Entente for no apparent reason (no coups, no events etc.) Since Japan is just about the only non-Entente nation that can be persuaded to join the Entente, this is particularly annoying.

It does explain why the Entente "never does anything" (according to forum comments) when played by the AI; how can they do anything when they cannot expand their alliance reliably?

(3) The assault on Adak? After swapping out Australasians for Nationalist French the assault continues. As of April 16th 1938 the militia division still holds out after nine months of continuous combat.

Maybe I should actually play some Darkest Hour instead... :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Berkut

The joke is on you, seriously.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 19, 2011, 11:22:56 AM

I'm just glad he is complaining about real issues rather than the nitpicks he typically regales us with.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 11:27:35 AM

I'm just glad he is complaining about real issues rather than the nitpicks he typically regales us with.

Nitpicks? How can you nitpick games that promise "historically accurate" starting positions and aren't set pre-circa 300BC? Assuming you are referring to my Divine Wind comments, that is? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on May 19, 2011, 12:34:21 PM

Nitpicks? How can you nitpick games that promise "historically accurate" starting positions and aren't set pre-circa 300BC? Assuming you are referring to my Divine Wind comments, that is? :hmm:

That and...

QuoteDiscovered lazy bastards have used what amounts to random numbers for additional units in the OoB units changed or added from the Paradox originals rather than creating them sequentially (damned double IDs! :mad:)

Also discovered lazy bastards haven't bothered matching their OOB unit names with the unitnames files in the scenario DB (which is doubly annoying as they actually have modified the file in question; they just haven't made sure the same format has been used in the scenario files to the unitnames file.)

Actually, the unitnames file seems to be a problem with most mods. Kaiserreich is a great example of this; a massively modded scenario with massive and interesting event chains...and (for example) the British Raj successor state of Delhi, run by expatriate Brits and Hindus, produces units with Pakistani names as the tag used is "PAK".

While no doubt issues, the granularity of your complaint...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

I'm glad I avoided this turd. ^_^
Makes me feel better about falling for the Iron Cross turd.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Faeelin

Quote from: Agelastus on May 18, 2011, 12:53:44 PM
Decided to play Kaiserreich mod; I really think that the Kaiserreich modders need to reduce the number of dissent events given the reduction in the ability of consumer goods to reduce dissent.

The joke is on you for playing a mod that entails Huey Long reviving the Confederacy and Syndicalists who feel the need to perform land reform against the great aristocrats of Minnesota.

My Great War mod is up here. Alas, the Confederacy's usually dead by 1917, with Canada under the Yankee boot long before that. My heart bleeds.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?532346-Great-War-American-Front

Faeelin

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 19, 2011, 01:18:01 PM

I think Turd is strong. For $10, it's worth it.

Berkut

Yeah, DH itself is pretty fun.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 12:39:24 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 19, 2011, 12:34:21 PM

That and...

QuoteDiscovered lazy bastards have used what amounts to random numbers for additional units in the OoB units changed or added from the Paradox originals rather than creating them sequentially (damned double IDs! :mad:)

Also discovered lazy bastards haven't bothered matching their OOB unit names with the unitnames files in the scenario DB (which is doubly annoying as they actually have modified the file in question; they just haven't made sure the same format has been used in the scenario files to the unitnames file.)

Actually, the unitnames file seems to be a problem with most mods. Kaiserreich is a great example of this; a massively modded scenario with massive and interesting event chains...and (for example) the British Raj successor state of Delhi, run by expatriate Brits and Hindus, produces units with Pakistani names as the tag used is "PAK".

While no doubt issues, the granularity of your complaint...

:hmm:

While I take your point, the bolded portion is surely a worrying indicator of poor project management/oversight.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: Faeelin on May 19, 2011, 01:53:22 PM
The joke is on you for playing a mod that entails Huey Long reviving the Confederacy and Syndicalists who feel the need to perform land reform against the great aristocrats of Minnesota.

Yes, they were stretching a bit in finding potential factions for a US civil war... :D

Quote from: Faeelin on May 19, 2011, 01:53:22 PM
My Great War mod is up here. Alas, the Confederacy's usually dead by 1917, with Canada under the Yankee boot long before that. My heart bleeds.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?532346-Great-War-American-Front

Your mod, of course, being based on Turtledove's farcical Timeline-191. eh?

Actually, I had seen you were working on it; I think I'lll wait until the CSA/Entente is able to pull off a draw at least one time in four.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ed Anger

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 19, 2011, 01:18:01 PM
Makes me feel better about falling for the Iron Cross turd.

I course I walked into it after a bout of 2am insomnia.  :(

I feel like I ate an entire box of Twinkies and Ho-Ho's.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Faeelin

Quote from: Agelastus on May 19, 2011, 03:27:13 PM
Actually, I had seen you were working on it; I think I'lll wait until the CSA/Entente is able to pull off a draw at least one time in four.

The problem is I'm not sure how to plausibly do that unless you pretend that the South has become one Dark Satanic Mill. Holding out until 1917 is pretty appropriate, and it's how it usually does. (The problem being that a human led US can do much, much better)