And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Hour?

Started by Faeelin, April 07, 2011, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

thanks. Thinking of getting it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 19, 2011, 01:18:01 PM
I'm glad I avoided this turd. ^_^
Makes me feel better about falling for the Iron Cross turd.

Sigh, I've finally bought the game.
I haven't played vanilla DH, but I have played a bit of Kaiserreich.
Biggest complaints:
*Everyone that's not Russia or China has serious manpower shortages. It's not that much fun.
*Germany and CoF needs balancing in favor of France.
*Torpedo attachments, and naval units in general, need balancing. Torpedoes add a lot of naval attack - for interwar, its +4 for the base attachment, plus several plusses from tech researched. Also, it'd be nice if the ships at the start had attachments - right now it's way to easy to sink the German navy as the Japanese with starting fleets, as long as I put torpedos and fire control on all my ships. The AI doesn't do that, so they're massively outgunned.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Lettow77

You found manpower shortages a real issue, even after conscripting to the highest possible degree? Have you properly used the conscript "decision" system?

As for Kaiserreich-specific complaints, in addition to CoF frequently (but less than 70% of the time!) losing to Germany, National France has just about no chance, even under AI control, of reclaiming the homeland, and Japan has almost no real rival and runs rampant in the Pacific. The Syndicalists almost never win in America- it's strange that a Southern regionalist psuedofascist group wins more.

These are fairly minor, though.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

ulmont

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 26, 2012, 11:27:07 AMThe Syndicalists almost never win in America- it's strange that a Southern regionalist psuedofascist group wins more.

I just saw the Syndicalists win last night - I was playing the Pacific States  - but I admit it's rare.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 01:57:30 PM
What is Kaiserreich?

An alt-history mod that started with HOI2.

QuoteKaiserrech: Legacy of the Weltkrieg is an Ahistorical Modification to Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon that asks the question: "What if the Germans had won WWI?" The scenario starts in 1936, but there will also be battle scenarios in the next release. The Second American Civil War, the Kazahk-Turkmen War, the Spanish Civil War, The Second Arab Revolt, the Fourth Balkan War, the Austro-Magyar War and The Grand South American War to name a few.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?223176-Kaiserreich-Legacy-of-the-Weltkrieg-Global-Alternate-History-Mod-for-HOI2

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 01:57:30 PM
What is Kaiserreich?

Mindless fun, but it's made by Europeans who don't get why their cultures are broken in a way America's isn't.

Hence, the American Civil War, between Nazi Lindbergh, Syndicalists, California, and Generalissimo Macarthur.

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on April 26, 2012, 03:03:44 PM
Hence, the American Civil War, between Nazi Lindbergh, Syndicalists, California, and Generalissimo Macarthur.

That's Huey Long, Jack Reed, California, and Generalissimo Macarthur, thank you very much.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 26, 2012, 11:27:07 AM
You found manpower shortages a real issue, even after conscripting to the highest possible degree? Have you properly used the conscript "decision" system?
\

That's not in Kaiserreich though, which may be why manpower can be in such short supply in that mod.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Lettow77

There are some real gems of absurdity in the American Civil War events. My personal favourites:

Both Italian Mafia and Papal divisions being volunteers the overwhelmingly Southern-based American Union can receive
Mexico having the option to demand Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California and intervene in the war- this leads to them getting cores somehow!

The basic idea of a syndicalist uprising in America is interesting enough. That the Southern-based faction can't choose separation rather than domination of the country as its goal makes me a sad panda.

ulmont

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 27, 2012, 12:34:54 AM
There are some real gems of absurdity in the American Civil War events. My personal favourites:

Both Italian Mafia and Papal divisions being volunteers the overwhelmingly Southern-based American Union can receive

The Mafia bit is a little odd, but Father Coughlin is heavily tied to the American Union, so the Papal bit makes a certain amount of sense.

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 27, 2012, 12:34:54 AMMexico having the option to demand Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California and intervene in the war- this leads to them getting cores somehow!

You sure they don't get claims rather than cores?

Lettow77

Yes, honest-to-goodness cores. If America refuses to concede the land, I believe they become claims, but that there is an event for them to eventually become cores regardless if Mexico occupies them for a period of time.

I suppose that's only reasonable in a world where the Bonapartes show up ruling an African kingdom now and again.

ulmont

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 27, 2012, 12:22:37 PM
Yes, honest-to-goodness cores. If America refuses to concede the land, I believe they become claims, but that there is an event for them to eventually become cores regardless if Mexico occupies them for a period of time.

I just looked at the Kaiserreich Mexican events, and all I see is claims; can you give an event id or something?

Lettow77

Your mistake was not looking into the annexations folder which governs this sort of thing. There are more, but this is just an example event.

event = {
   id = 11800162
   country = MEX
   style = 2
   picture = "militaryparade1"

trigger = {
                NOT = {
                core = { province = 1889 data = MEX }
                }
      control = { province = 1889 data = MEX } #San Francisco
                owned = { province = 1889 data = MEX }
   }

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
   offset = 120
   deathdate = { day = 1 month = december year = 1963 }

name = "Integration of California"
   desc = "State of California, we were once forced to secede to the United states after humiliating defeat in 1846 is now firmly integrated into our growing state."

action_a = {
      name = "Great !"
      command = { type = addcore which = 1889 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1892 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1887 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1883 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1891 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1888 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1889 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1884 }
           command = { type = addcore which = 1885 }
                command = { type = addcore which = 1890 }
                command = { type = addcore which = 1886 }
                command = { type = dissent value = 3 }
   }
}

Faeelin

Quote from: ulmont on April 26, 2012, 03:30:02 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 26, 2012, 03:03:44 PM

That's Huey Long, Jack Reed, California, and Generalissimo Macarthur, thank you very much.

Honestly America and East Asia are my two real beefs with Kaiserreich, especially since the Entente are so weak anyway. A USA under FDR reigniting the flame of liberty and then smacking the shit out of both the French and Germans is way more interesting than one that just sits there and waits for death.