News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Hour?

Started by Faeelin, April 07, 2011, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Er, I was just referring to the South's starting IC in the 1914 scenario. But you really think an independent South would have high tariffs? I respectfully disagree.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Faeelin

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 17, 2011, 02:11:23 PM
Er, I was just referring to the South's starting IC in the 1914 scenario. But you really think an independent South would have high tariffs? I respectfully disagree.

Every nation acquired them in the 19th century, even those with primarily agricultural economies. Argentina, Australia, Canada... I admit the Confederacy could fuck up in plenty of ways, but protectionism was the global trend.

Razgovory

The South could have become an industrial power, but it's unlikely.  After the Cotton market crashed they might have industrialized, but more likely they would have followed the economic path of South America and would have similar politics.  By 1914 it probably would have another civil war and a history of Caudillos and tyranny.  That is if the US hadn't simply annexed them or they hadn't just split up.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 17, 2011, 02:11:23 PM
How much do the other powers have? If it's more than Austria-Hungary I could maybe see that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Far more than Austria-Hungary. It puts them in the league of France, about double japan or italy, four times the turk, just a tier below germany/britain/russia
(russia's enormous IC being the other odd bugbear in the game)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 18, 2011, 02:32:38 AM
Far more than Austria-Hungary. It puts them in the league of France, about double japan or italy, four times the turk, just a tier below germany/britain/russia
Did they not alter the values from vanilla?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 18, 2011, 02:32:38 AM
Russia has more IC than France?  :huh:  I suppose that, in a fantasy game, you can make up your own rules, but that seems odd to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lettow77

The values were altered from vanilla. There are things like wartime IC penalties, and Russia has a higher one- they have lower effective IC, and are kept out of the entente by event, in a separate alliance with Serbia/Montenegro, to keep them from getting any blueprints and generally mired in their tech backwater.

But even so, it gave me pause too.

Faeelin

Now that I sat down and played it a bit, it kinda stinks. The USSR gets couped into becoming market liberal Russia in a couple of years, no matter what you do, it seems. China always falls, the naval AI still sucks...

But the modders who made it promise it will all be fixed in a patch to be released at an undetermined date.  :lmfao:

Berkut

Hmm, I played as the USSR, and did not get couped successfully at all.

The Germans also forgot to invade, so now it is 1944, and I am at war with the Allies over Turkey and Iran...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Faeelin on April 25, 2011, 07:17:04 AM
Now that I sat down and played it a bit, it kinda stinks. The USSR gets couped into becoming market liberal Russia in a couple of years, no matter what you do, it seems. China always falls, the naval AI still sucks...

But the modders who made it promise it will all be fixed in a patch to be released at an undetermined date.  :lmfao:

So just like that POS Iron Cross then?  :lol:
At least AoD is playable.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Faeelin

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 25, 2011, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 25, 2011, 07:17:04 AM

So just like that POS Iron Cross then?  :lol:
At least AoD is playable.

Eh, it was $10, and the guys behind it made the WiF mod for HOI2, which was pretty good. I'm playing a game as Germany now; if you use a nice enough carrot, you can get France to join the axis after you conquer them. Bwahah!

Agelastus

Given my ongoing disappointment with HOI3, it may be time to lay out £7.95...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Lettow77

It's pretty fun. Enjoying a good game as France, 1940. I feel wars of attrition are far more workable now, as battles last longer and accordingly divisions bleed more. You can make an enormous battle with 30 divisions on each side go on for quite some time, with enormous attendant losses.

Agelastus

Bought it.

Started scenario modding.

Discovered lazy bastards have used what amounts to random numbers for additional units in the OoB units changed or added from the Paradox originals rather than creating them sequentially (damned double IDs! :mad:)

Also discovered lazy bastards haven't bothered matching their OOB unit names with the unitnames files in the scenario DB (which is doubly annoying as they actually have modified the file in question; they just haven't made sure the same format has been used in the scenario files to the unitnames file.)

Actually, the unitnames file seems to be a problem with most mods. Kaiserreich is a great example of this; a massively modded scenario with massive and interesting event chains...and (for example) the British Raj successor state of Delhi, run by expatriate Brits and Hindus, produces units with Pakistani names as the tag used is "PAK".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."