News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Hour?

Started by Faeelin, April 07, 2011, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

It's the latest player-made mod for HOI2. It's $10, and promises better tech, a better map, and better AI (though early impressions from players suggests that ain't so).

Anyone going to buy it?

HisMajestyBOB

Nah.
I got burned on Iron Cross, which suck-diddly-ucked.
DH might be better, but I'm pretty skeptical - it seems too ambitious, and thus will be bug-ridden and crappy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Habbaku

I will wait to see how it goes, but I may end up buying it.  Hopefully the MP component works well.  Ideally, I'd like to set up an MP game of it in the near future similar to how we did EU3.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

How was the arsenal of Democracy?  What's the difference?  I know I liked HOI2 much better then HOI3.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

What Raz said.
Weird having these multiple fan games, no definitive version.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

How well does it simulate naval warfare and especially dreadnoughts?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

1914-1918 is a centerpiece of the game, so I imagine it does a decent job.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Faeelin

Quote from: Habbaku on April 07, 2011, 08:39:58 PM

Actually, the complaints so far are mostly that the 1914 scenario is underdeveloped and has awful AI.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Faeelin on April 07, 2011, 08:59:06 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 07, 2011, 08:39:58 PM

Actually, the complaints so far are mostly that the 1914 scenario is underdeveloped and has awful AI.

Not surprising. They're trying to do too many things.

QuoteHow was the arsenal of Democracy?  What's the difference?  I know I liked HOI2 much better then HOI3.

Pretty good, and well-polished. There's not as many changes as DH - the timeframe, techs, units, and general set-up is pretty much the same, but that's likely why it works well and isn't as buggy. The changes to production makes building things more fun. The devs are planning to add bigger changes to later patches. IIRC they plan to eventually overhaul naval combat, which is still pretty much like vanilla and thus still kind of screwy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Norgy

Arsenal of Democracy was basically a mod that cost money. As mods go, it wasn't terrible. But HoI2 is looking dated, even more so than the current batch of P'dox games, which is saying a lot.
My experience with it has turned me off these two other efforts.

Berkut

THe most atttractive thing about this mod is that it is standalone.

I have up on HOI2 last time I had to reinstall and figure out how to get all the mods to work with the various expansions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Norgy

Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2011, 01:58:15 AM

I have up on HOI2 last time I had to reinstall and figure out how to get all the mods to work with the various expansions.

The good thing is of course that this problem solving is more challenging than the vanilla game.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2011, 01:58:15 AM

According to Steam, you're playing it right now.  So, how is it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

I dunno. I didn't really play HOI2 enough to really know how much "better" this is, if it is better at all. All seems new to me, and I am very low on the learning curve.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

What do you think of the WW1 scenario? That's what I'm really interested in.