News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Hour?

Started by Faeelin, April 07, 2011, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The WWI scenario is broken.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

You guys never learn. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on April 11, 2011, 09:51:55 AM
The WWI scenario is broken.
In what way?

CdM - HOI 2DD is my favorite Paradox game of all time, so one would a mod would be at least as fun.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I looked at the Darkest Hour thing at Paradox.  What exactly is the big deal?  It doesn't really look that different.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 06:14:55 AM
I looked at the Darkest Hour thing at Paradox.  What exactly is the big deal?  It doesn't really look that different.

HOI 2 had a broken WW2 campaign. This one adds an unplayable WW1 scenario.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

I would be willing to give the '36 scenario a shot MP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The game definitely seems suitable for MP to overcome whatever problems there are with the AI.  The tech tree is good and seems well-balanced and the claim system is pretty neat to mess around with.  I do also enjoy the way the decision system is implemented, though I'm still digging at it.

If anyone is actually interested in MP at some point, please weigh in here.  Thus far, we have Berkut and myself, at least, and my brother (though he doesn't know it yet).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Shade

Quote from: Habbaku on April 12, 2011, 09:42:41 PM
The game definitely seems suitable for MP to overcome whatever problems there are with the AI.  The tech tree is good and seems well-balanced and the claim system is pretty neat to mess around with.  I do also enjoy the way the decision system is implemented, though I'm still digging at it.

If anyone is actually interested in MP at some point, please weigh in here.  Thus far, we have Berkut and myself, at least, and my brother (though he doesn't know it yet).

What is the learning Curve I'd like it much to get back into some war gaming MP action :)

Berkut

Learning curve is moderate to high - similar to EU3, although with a much tigher focus (pretty much just WW2).

The nice part is that the game itself is $10. So you aren't risking much to give it a shot.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

That's four.  Ideally, we're looking for 8 total, but up to 10-12 would be great to have around so that the minors wouldn't be retarded or simply militarily-controlled at best.

Nations I would consider playable (and in descending order of importance) are :

Germany
Soviet Union
USA
Japan
Britain
Italy
Nationalist China
Romania
Hungary
Nationalist Spain (or Republican Spain)
Turkey
Brazil
Argentina
Australia
Canada
Bulgaria
Sweden

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I messed around a bit with Japan last night. They actually seem pretty interesting with a '36 start.

I forgo extending the war with China in the hopes of keeping my trading partners (US, UK, etc) happy. But they all got pissed at me anyway.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

One thing that will take some getting used to, but that I think I like over vanilla HOI 2, is that divisions take a lower amount of IC to build but take considerably longer to actually finish.  It takes nearly a year to build a new infantry division, so you have to plan for the long-term rather than just spamming divisions.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Shade

Quote from: Berkut on April 13, 2011, 08:09:02 AM
Learning curve is moderate to high - similar to EU3, although with a much tigher focus (pretty much just WW2).

The nice part is that the game itself is $10. So you aren't risking much to give it a shot.

Ok I will buy it some time tonight and see what it is like for now though i am officially in... If we do this at a different time.. my dad, even with his promotion, should have the time to actually play.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 13, 2011, 02:53:34 PM
One thing that will take some getting used to, but that I think I like over vanilla HOI 2, is that divisions take a lower amount of IC to build but take considerably longer to actually finish.  It takes nearly a year to build a new infantry division, so you have to plan for the long-term rather than just spamming divisions.
Are there cheapo brands of infantry divisions you can raise in a hurry?  it sure doesn't take a year to create the troops or equipment and few German soldiers in late WW2, for instance, spent a year between conscription and action.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

How long did it take to train a new division in WWII?  Say, a typical Infantry division.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017