News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warspite or Enterprise?

Started by grumbler, April 02, 2011, 01:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the most legendary warship in history?

12 (30%)
23 (57.5%)
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

grumbler

Anyone who knows anything about naval history knows that these are the candidates for "the most legendary warships in history" but the conundrum remains:  which of them is "the most legendary?"

Enterprise has the most "opposite number" silhouettes painted on the superstructure, at 2.5 (Akagi, Kaga, and half of Hiryu) in the most decisive naval battle in history, but that's because all of Warspite's opposite numbers fled faster than she could chase them.

Warspite has 14 battle honors, Enterprise 20 battle stars.

I'm inclined towards Warspite because I am an ABC fan ("It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition - the Navy will go in") and he fiercely loved that ship, but I will listen to arguments otherwise.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Warspite was active in the Norwegian campaign in 1940, I believe and it thus gets my vote, since I am clueless.  :showoff:

Warspite

I voted Warspite mainly for the reason that she survived the last great dreadnought battle of Jutland, where Britain won the strategic victory at sea so desperately needed, while she also was there two decades later to pound the coast of Normandy as the great Allied Liberation effort began.

But it's a very close run thing with Enterprise for sure.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Eddie Teach

Warspite adds more to discussions on Languish, but he's never been in outer space. Gotta go Enterprise.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Warspite is a fine selection (what didn't she do!), but I have to lean towards Enterprise for its total score card.  Every major operation in the Pacific, first on the offensive after Pearl, last flattop standing after Santa Cruz, and Doolittle to boot.

For sheer Brit balls, I go with the HMS Glowworm.

Darth Wagtaros

Enterprise had several famous starships named after her.  Someone had to say it. So there.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

This is an excellent thread, and a tough question.  I could definitely see an argument for Enterprise.  Her story is the story of the whole Pacific War, after all.  She was the 'lucky ship' who got through it all, hardly slowing down when bombed or kamikazed, unlike the Saratoga.

I think I'm leaning a little towards the Warspite.  For one thing, I'm a bit of a dreadnought partisan, and Warspite had the most dramatic role in the greatest dreadnought battle of all time.  Narvik, shooting it out with the Italians in the Med, D-Day, fighting on even after the Germans wrecked X turret.  She had a 26,000-yard hit on an Italian dreadnought, she was Cunningham's 'Grand Old Lady' and she resisted being led to the scrapyards at the end.  She had a long and glorious history in a glorious age of naval warfare.

Are you sure that Victory doesn't rate a mention?  I mean, these two have the most formidable reps since the adoption of steam, but Victory has to be the greatest warship of the wooden era.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Enterprise. anyone who votes differently is a communist and a pussy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not voting on this one, completely unable to decide  :hmm:

I will second Neil though and say that Victory is the ship that comes to mind when I think of "the greatest warship". But that may be mere sentiment, Nelson was a childhood hero of mine.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!