News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warspite or Enterprise?

Started by grumbler, April 02, 2011, 01:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the most legendary warship in history?

12 (30%)
23 (57.5%)
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Valmy

This thread makes me miss the days we named CVs cooler names than the name of some douchey ex-President.

The Gerald Ford class?  Are you fucking kidding me?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Absolute worst was the Carl Vinson.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2011, 12:22:28 PM
Absolute worst was the Carl Vinson.

I actually disagree, just because Vinson is so unknown that it just sounds like a name that you don't even know what it means one way or the other.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on April 04, 2011, 12:28:28 PM
I actually disagree, just because Vinson is so unknown that it just sounds like a name that you don't even know what it means one way or the other.

I like it when they name ships after obscure naval heroes because then you get a cool little back story with it.  With Vinson all you get is the fact that he voted yes a bunch of times.

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2011, 07:21:48 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 04, 2011, 12:02:36 AM
USS Texas
Seriously?  I'd be interested inseeing you make the case.  Five battle stars seems a long way from Big E's 20.

QuoteIf it's popular legend, and not just naval grognards...then it would probably be USS Missouri.  Though Missouri got a rather late start.
I think you are back to "popular" again.  I don't think Missouri did anything to make it legendary, though it was well-known because of the Japanese surrender signing.

I was thinking more along the lines of just BBs, from the Yamato tangent.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

What's that, Hebrew for "hit us here with Silkworms we didn't know you had"?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 10:24:29 AM
The Missouri was one of the longer serving ships.
Actually, she wasn't.  She was in commission for less than 11 years (1944-1955) and then six years (1986 to 1992).  Warspite was in commission for 19 years (1915-1934) and then less than 8 years (1937-1945).  Enterprise was only in commission 9 years (1938-1947).  Longevity goes to Warspite here (though Victory served 1778-1798, and then again 1803-1812, so gets the nod over any of the above).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 09:51:28 AM
Quote from: Norgy on April 03, 2011, 04:26:11 AM
The Hood, the Tirpitz and definitely the Graf Zeppelin are more known for what they could have been, aren't they?
The Hood is most known for its long, successful career showing the flag in the interwar period, for being a very beautiful warship, for sinking the crappy French Navy and for a brief gun duel with the Bismarck ending in spectacular death.  Tirpitz and Graf Zeppelin are relatively well-known because they were German, and a large subset of WWII fans love German tech.

I think a more innocuous part of it is that it's really easy to keep track of the entire German surface fleet in your head, and did so little that their few sensational exploits are equally easy to remember.

Anyway, of course I chose CV-6.  Could it have been any other way?

I'd like to give an honorable mention to the Zuikaku, as probably the closest Japanese equivalent to the Enterprise, although necessarily less successful--she didn't survive, but she persevered the longest, and made a romantic if ultimately futile sacrifice, destroyed after being required to fight beyond all endurance and reason as the only fleet carrier in the decoy force at Leyte.

On the plus side for Zuikaku...

Quote from: BerkutNothing can touch the Enterprise.

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

BuddhaRhubarb

Enterprise has warp drive, Warspite is a Languish poster who afaik lacks warp drive. I vote Enterprise.
:p

Warspite

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 06, 2011, 12:01:14 PM
Enterprise has warp drive, Warspite is a Languish poster who afaik lacks warp drive. I vote Enterprise.
:mad:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 06, 2011, 12:01:14 PM
Warspite has warped drivel.  That's three letters more than "warp drive" and so obviously superior. :blurgh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Grumbler, you're not Welsh by any chance?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?