News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warspite or Enterprise?

Started by grumbler, April 02, 2011, 01:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the most legendary warship in history?

12 (30%)
23 (57.5%)
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

grumbler

Quote from: dps on April 02, 2011, 07:25:32 PM
Heck, Warspite isn't even the most legendary British warship of WWII.  I'd put both the Ark Royal and the Hood at least ahead of her, maybe others.
I chose to use "legendary" rather than "famous" in an attempt to get past the fact that Hood and Ark Royal were more famous in their time, and Victory is today.

A legend is a tale told about something or someone performing in a "more than human" fashion.  Not much to say about Hood as a warship other than that it died spectacularly.  Informed voters aren't likely to vote for that ahead of a ship with many more battle honors.

You could make Ark Royal a write-in, if you'd like.  That's certainly justifiable. Other write-ins are also possible; I just threw out  few choices to start a conversation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

The Hood, the Tirpitz and definitely the Graf Zeppelin are more known for what they could have been, aren't they?

Neil

Quote from: Norgy on April 03, 2011, 04:26:11 AM
The Hood, the Tirpitz and definitely the Graf Zeppelin are more known for what they could have been, aren't they?
The Hood is most known for its long, successful career showing the flag in the interwar period, for being a very beautiful warship, for sinking the crappy French Navy and for a brief gun duel with the Bismarck ending in spectacular death.  Tirpitz and Graf Zeppelin are relatively well-known because they were German, and a large subset of WWII fans love German tech.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

The Hood isn't too well known outside folk with a decent interest in history I think. Fairly well known but not the most legendary.
For legendary ships which lots of people know- Mary Rose, Warrior (despite the fact they did nothing), Victory, Ark Royal, Dreadnought.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2011, 04:17:39 AM
You could make Ark Royal a write-in, if you'd like.  That's certainly justifiable. Other write-ins are also possible; I just threw out  few choices to start a conversation.
I'm not sure that Ark Royal is in the same class as Enterprise though.  They had some great moments, and the Bismarck chase was legendary, but Midway was not only legendary, but had a real and substantial effect on the war.  Enterprise and Warspite fought the whole war long, and even the Hood had a glorious hero's death, but Ark Royal was murdered by a wretched submarine.  It's cool that Ark Royal was involved in the first U-boat kill of the war and got the first British air kill of the war, but I just don't think it rates with the two choices in the poll.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Jews know all about winning.  :Joos
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Seriously though, Warspite was prone to steering difficulties after Jutland, so I voted Enterprise.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2011, 06:18:53 PM
Seriously though, Warspite was prone to steering difficulties after Jutland, so I voted Enterprise.
:bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding:   :bleeding: 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Sometimes I wonder if I should let CdM throw you in a sack and bash you against a wall or something.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 06:38:05 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I should let CdM throw you in a sack and bash you against a wall or something.

He's your puppy.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 06:38:05 PM
I like my ships to go in a straight line, not crash into others at the dock.  :sleep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2011, 07:41:35 PM
I like my ships to go in a straight line, not crash into others at the dock.  :sleep:
I like my naval analysis not to be fucking retarded, as opposed to you telling me that you like the Yamato best because of the anime, or you like the Bismarck because the captain had pretty blue eyes.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 08:53:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2011, 07:41:35 PM
I like my naval analysis not to be fucking retarded, as opposed to you telling me that you like the Yamato best because of the anime, or you like the Bismarck because the captain had pretty blue eyes.

Was she hott?

Siege

Wait a minute. Didn't I have like 3000 posts or so in my post count?
What the fuck happened?