The Cause of the American Civil War and the US Citizenship Test

Started by jimmy olsen, March 29, 2011, 06:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 30, 2011, 09:59:59 AM
QuoteH
Unbelievably,the official study guide for the U.S. citizenship test still lists three acceptable answers for the question about the causes of the Civil War: slavery, economic reasons and states' rights. The latter two answers, as Gov. Barbour now freely admits, are simply wrong. In fact, they are worse than wrong, because they obscure a central fact about American history. As Barbour put it, "the Civil War was necessary to bring about the abolition of slavery. Abolishing slavery was morally imperative and necessary, and it's regrettable that it took the Civil War to do it. But it did.

It that why Ulysses S. Grant was a slave owner, and he kept owning slaves even when he became President, years after the end of the Civil War?

Riiiiiight.
Oh, my.  I guess mental hospitals were the first to go in Portugal due to the financial crisis.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 11:25:48 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 10:42:02 AM
Oklahoma is close to declaring independence
:lol:

He must be a fan of that crazy Russian professor.  IIRC the USA was going to break up in early 2011, according to him. :hmm:
June 2010, actually. :contract:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 11:41:35 AM
I like Portuguese food. :cool:
You like brazillian food. A bit different. though both are good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Caliga

I've had both. :mad:

I myself have cooked rojões, for example.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 11:41:35 AM
I like Portuguese food. :cool:
I dunno, there is a certain Portugese vegetable I'm not too fond of.

HVC

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2011, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2011, 11:32:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Panarin

I object to China and the European Union getting the best bits!  :mad: :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Panarin.svg

Please, :rolleyes: you're getting the Wings, Blues and Hawks.  China is getting the Coyotes.

Hey, Arizona's anti-Hispanic-immigrant policies did pan out after all.    :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC