News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2015, 08:24:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2015, 07:32:31 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 11:28:08 PM
Trudeau's wife is cute, but she has a bit of a hippy-dippy look I'm not a fan of.

What do you mean?

She did that whole "hugging her chest" thing, a spiritual "I hug you all" thing;  very Jon Anderson of Yes like.

Ok.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 08:04:36 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2015, 07:54:46 AM
Recent immigrants are traditionally strong Liberal supporters so, at least in the Canadian context, your assertion is questionable.

Why would immigrants to the US be radically different from immigrants to Canada? They are coming from the exact same places. The reason they support left wing parties is because of the xenophobic slant of the right wing parties.

You can't compare the US experience with Canada.  For all the rhetoric you really only have two right wing parties. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2015, 08:28:02 AM
You can't compare the US experience with Canada.  For all the rhetoric you really only have two right wing parties. 

That may be true that both of our parties are right wing but that has nothing to do with voting patterns.

I am commenting on something I see everywhere in the developed world not just the US and Canada. But just because I think I see something doesn't mean it is true. Maybe immigrants from the Middle East are all about Western left wing values they are coming here after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2015, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2015, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 09:51:13 PM
When is the last time we had a cute first lady? Trudeau's mother?

I hope all this mad spending we are about to embark will lead to a resurrection of science based research.

and of course, nuclear powered ice breakers.
wait 'til they cut the provincial transfers in the 3rd year to balance their budget, just after the PQ election :)
rein your spending in, then the transfer won't be such a needed thing.
Simpler solution: Ottawa should tax less.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 10:16:41 PM
I don't mind paying more in taxes--I've been pretty consistent in that all these years-- as long as those taxes go towards building a better country.
And the previous governement did that, of course...
Look, Trudeau, your new PM, he's living in Quebec.  He's elected to represent a riding in Quebec.  Yet, he pays his taxes in Ottawa to save 9000$/year.  Something most people he represent can not afford to, since they can not afford more than one house.

You are putting your faith into someone like this to manage our economy.
We know what the last Liberal governments did with the money they managed, they filled their coffers and got themselves high paying jobs in the Desmarais empire.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 20, 2015, 08:47:43 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2015, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2015, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 09:51:13 PM
When is the last time we had a cute first lady? Trudeau's mother?

I hope all this mad spending we are about to embark will lead to a resurrection of science based research.

and of course, nuclear powered ice breakers.
wait 'til they cut the provincial transfers in the 3rd year to balance their budget, just after the PQ election :)
rein your spending in, then the transfer won't be such a needed thing.
Simpler solution: Ottawa should tax less.
hiw does that work?  If spending patterns don't change Quebec would just get a larger cut of a smaller pie.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2015, 10:17:59 PM
Things were looking up?  That's rather shortsighted of you.  Our children will look back at how our parent lived, and they'll wonder how anyone ever had it so good.  The global trends of economics and demographics are beyond the ability of the democratically elected leader of a minor Western power to change.  This election isn't some magical turning point where things went from good to bad or from bad to good.
Yes, things were looking up.
Business was booming, I had money in my pockets, the constant Federal-provincial bickering was a thing of the past, French speakers in this country had a lot more respect than under Chrétien, Francophobia was at an all time low since it wasn't encouraged by the Federal government, after the attacks by radical islamists last fall the government reacted with proper measures to protect the public while preserving our individual liberties, they were beginning to realize how big a problem radical islam was, but now, it's all over.

Sure, on the short term, things will appear bright.  There will be more work. Cities will build arenas, stadium, theaters, operas.  Then the next government will have to raise taxes to pay for this, just as inflation kicks in.

Valmy

I was not aware Mulcair and Trudeau were basically neighbors in Montreal. So much for Toronto dominating the political landscape.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2015, 10:18:47 PM

Belgium has three times the population density of France -_-
I'm fucked :(

But it seems after all the Conservative candidate is pulling ahead  :showoff:

Valmy

Move to France it is best. Just do not move to Paris. Go be Ed's next door neighbor in Normandy. Hey aren't most Quebecois descended from Normans and Bretons anyway?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 20, 2015, 08:54:30 AM
hiw does that work?  If spending patterns don't change Quebec would just get a larger cut of a smaller pie.
The same way it worked when the Quebec government decided to create its own tax system.  The Federal govt backed off, lowering taxes for Quebec, allowing the government to tax more than it previously did.

Wether I am taxed by Quebec or by Ottawa, the end result is the same for me, less money in my pockets.  But if one government decides to stick to its own fields and spend accordingly for that, not for an swarm of Canada flags or some advertising campaign, or pressuring other governments to isolate Quebec, than things are better for us as spending is more efficient.

The taxation should be where the expenses are.  Taxing at an higher level in the hopes that some will go down the chain where it's really needed is just asking for trouble.  The Cons had made a small step in the right direction.  Not enough for me, but better than the Libs.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 08:59:34 AM
I was not aware Mulcair and Trudeau were basically neighbors in Montreal. So much for Toronto dominating the political landscape.
Technically, Trudeau is Ontarian, as he despises Quebec, just like his father.  and he does not pay his taxes here.  He just picked a riding he could win.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 10:56:19 PM
Conservatives lost less than 7 per cent of the vote share from last election. A drop in the bucket yet enough to go from a majority gov't to the opposition. I'm hoping now that we can start talking seriously about election reform.
While I dislike your political choices, I do not want you to hold your breath waiting for that, as I do not wish to lose your contribution to this forum.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 08:40:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2015, 08:28:02 AM

That may be true that both of our parties are right wing but that has nothing to do with voting patterns.

I am commenting on something I see everywhere in the developed world not just the US and Canada. But just because I think I see something doesn't mean it is true. Maybe immigrants from the Middle East are all about Western left wing values they are coming here after all.

You are missing the point.  The US does not have a political tradition of a left of centre governing party welcoming immigrants.  Why do immigrants support a party that won't put restrictions on healthcare access etc?  The answer seems obvious.