Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 09:37:38 PM
1037 pm eastern...A Liberal Majority government. God be praised
The sky is blue, but hell is red.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Liberal candidat leads by 324 votes in my riding.  Belgium looks tempting. Less crowded than France, less hostile to foreigners than Switzerland.

QuoteDemographics

According to the Canada 2006 Census

Ethnic groups: 98.9% White
    Languages: 98.9% French
    Religions: (2001) 97.1% Catholic, 1.8% No religion
    Average income: $22,026

The riding is the most Catholic riding in Canada. It is also the most French riding in Canada, by mother tongue, and spoken at home.

I had to look it up, but last time a Liberal got elected was in 1980, with the other Trudeau's wave.  Never saw this coming.  Never even heard of that girl, but she's apparently the daughter of another prominent Liberal.

I for one, will not submit to our new Liberal overlords.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 09:51:13 PM
When is the last time we had a cute first lady? Trudeau's mother?

I hope all this mad spending we are about to embark will lead to a resurrection of science based research.

and of course, nuclear powered ice breakers.
wait 'til they cut the provincial transfers in the 3rd year to balance their budget, just after the PQ election :)

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2015, 09:13:41 PM
It's not as much fun without BB here.

WTF - my mother-in-law decides to come visit tonight.  On election night!

Lots of thoughts, but still catching up on this thread.  Will post more shortly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 09:18:01 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 19, 2015, 09:16:45 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on October 19, 2015, 09:15:23 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 19, 2015, 09:13:58 PM
Oh well, it is over.  You guys will have to pay more taxes :weep:

But they'll have legal weed so it's all good

Taxes matter most.  Don't care about drugs  :mad:

I don't make over $200K, I'm no lawyer, increased taxes shouldn't effect me.
because you think they'll only increase the tax of these people?  don't kid yourself.  Just as in the past, the middle class will bear the brunt of the tax hikes.  They might wait for the 2nd mandate, but it will hurth.  Carbon tax, tax on gaz (therefore increase for everything you pay), subsidies to liberal friends, soldiers left to fend for themselves without appropriate equipment, more youg canadian muslims joining the Jihad abroad, things will go from bad to worst in the next decade.  Just when things were starting to lookup :(

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 09:39:07 PM
Time zone wise, BB is putting kids to bed and swearing over baseball.

No, swearing over election.  Election night comes ahead of even Royals baseball.

Plus bath time / putting kids to bed.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2015, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 09:51:13 PM
When is the last time we had a cute first lady? Trudeau's mother?

I hope all this mad spending we are about to embark will lead to a resurrection of science based research.

and of course, nuclear powered ice breakers.
wait 'til they cut the provincial transfers in the 3rd year to balance their budget, just after the PQ election :)
rein your spending in, then the transfer won't be such a needed thing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

But viper, you knew this had to happen some day.  The Tories couldn't stay in power forever.  They were already pretty exhausted.

The important thing now is to use every method at our disposal to prevent the Liberals from passing their electoral reform.  So long as that can be prevented, a run of Liberal rule is a good thing. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2015, 10:10:33 PM

because you think they'll only increase the tax of these people?  don't kid yourself.  Just as in the past, the middle class will bear the brunt of the tax hikes.  They might wait for the 2nd mandate, but it will hurth.  Carbon tax, tax on gaz (therefore increase for everything you pay), subsidies to liberal friends, soldiers left to fend for themselves without appropriate equipment, more youg canadian muslims joining the Jihad abroad, things will go from bad to worst in the next decade.  Just when things were starting to lookup :(

I don't mind paying more in taxes--I've been pretty consistent in that all these years-- as long as those taxes go towards building a better country.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2015, 10:10:33 PM

Things were looking up?  That's rather shortsighted of you.  Our children will look back at how our parent lived, and they'll wonder how anyone ever had it so good.  The global trends of economics and demographics are beyond the ability of the democratically elected leader of a minor Western power to change.  This election isn't some magical turning point where things went from good to bad or from bad to good.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2015, 10:06:27 PM
Belgium looks tempting. Less crowded than France

Belgium has three times the population density of France -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

So... I guess the Anyone But Harper movement was correct.  Conservatives hung on to their vote - what we saw was that NDP voters shifted significantly to Trudeau.

Very disappointed to see my old buddy Steven Fletcher defeated in Winnipeg.  Mollified just slightly by seeing an old colleague, Melissa Atkinson, win as an NDP member in Yukon.  She was a colleague within the Federal prosecutor's office with me for a time.  Native woman, overcame a lot to get to where she was (we were constantly prosecuting her father), but kind of shy and surprised to hear she went into politics.

I guess my only hope now is that Liberals have always campaigned from the left, and governed from the centre.  So hopefully they won't implement half the things they promised, like legalized marijuana.

Also, I can't wait to see some of the justices they start appointing...

Barrister

CBC saying that Harper will be resigning as leader tonight.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 10:42:15 PM
CBC saying that Harper will be resigning as leader tonight.

While I won't be sad to see him go, he leaves a significant legacy. He has left his mark on the country, and leaves his party in better shape than the last few government changes. Depending how the leadership selection goes - and whether Trudeau lives down to your expectations - the Conservatives could be in good shape by the nest election.

Josephus

Conservatives lost less than 7 per cent of the vote share from last election. A drop in the bucket yet enough to go from a majority gov't to the opposition. I'm hoping now that we can start talking seriously about election reform.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011