And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2015, 10:49:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 10:42:15 PM
CBC saying that Harper will be resigning as leader tonight.

While I won't be sad to see him go, he leaves a significant legacy. He has left his mark on the country, and leaves his party in better shape than the last few government changes. Depending how the leadership selection goes - and whether Trudeau lives down to your expectations - the Conservatives could be in good shape by the nest election.

I'm in no mood to be cheered up tonight Jake.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 10:56:19 PM
Conservatives lost less than 7 per cent of the vote share from last election. A drop in the bucket yet enough to go from a majority gov't to the opposition. I'm hoping now that we can start talking seriously about election reform.

Speaking as someone whose party lost tonight...

God I hope not.  I think the value of a MP being elected to represent a specific riding, and not merely being chosen off a party list, is high.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

Seriously, what is Harper's legacy? He was a destroyer not a creator.  The dude had a very narrow minded vision of transforming Canada into a socially and fiscally conservative nation. And he failed. He need another half generation to create the new normal.
humans were created in their own image

Monoriu

At least the NDP lost.  At least the Green party is stuck at one seat :hug:

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 11:06:50 PM
Conservatives lost less than 7 per cent of the vote share from last election. A drop in the bucket yet enough to go from a majority gov't to the opposition. I'm hoping now that we can start talking seriously about election reform.

God I hope not.  I think the value of a MP being elected to represent a specific riding, and not merely being chosen off a party list, is high.

Maybe but reform does not necessarily mean one over the other. There has been talk of a hybrid model
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Trudeau's wife is cute, but she has a bit of a hippy-dippy look I'm not a fan of.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 11:06:50 PM

The Liberals will push for their AV Jos-esque nonsense.  It will give them a permanent majority, so I can't say I blame them.  Still, it's a terrible idea, and so we need to push back against it with protests, and if necessary by other means.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fireblade

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 11:28:08 PM
Trudeau's wife is cute, but she has a bit of a hippy-dippy look I'm not a fan of.

What do you mean?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on October 19, 2015, 11:12:31 PM
Seriously, what is Harper's legacy? He was a destroyer not a creator.  The dude had a very narrow minded vision of transforming Canada into a socially and fiscally conservative nation. And he failed. He need another half generation to create the new normal.

What is the legacy? Much ink has been spilled asserting that Canada has become more conservative.  But the popularity of the promise to run a deficit, legalize pot, make climate change a priority, increasing taxes on the rich etc. is some evidence makes the claim doubtful.

We won't really know his true legacy until we know what direction the Conservative party goes and how well that is received during the next election. 

Valmy

The funny thing is that immigrants are an excellent base of conservative support. Most of them have little stomach for western left wing bullshit. But right wing parties everywhere constantly wiff on them for obvious reasons. It does create the funny effect of left wing parties championing conservatism in every culture except their own.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Recent immigrants are traditionally strong Liberal supporters so, at least in the Canadian context, your assertion is questionable.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2015, 07:54:46 AM
Recent immigrants are traditionally strong Liberal supporters so, at least in the Canadian context, your assertion is questionable.

Why would immigrants to the US be radically different from immigrants to Canada? They are coming from the exact same places. The reason they support left wing parties is because of the xenophobic slant of the right wing parties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I think Valmy's assertion is correct for Canada. It is just weirdly worded in a Canadian context.

We call it multicultiralism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2015, 07:32:31 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 11:28:08 PM

What do you mean?

She did that whole "hugging her chest" thing, a spiritual "I hug you all" thing;  very Jon Anderson of Yes like.