News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I don't follow your logic.  If the Conservatives cannot form government why wouldn't a Conservative voter want to choose the party they think is the lesser of two evils to be the party who does?

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2015, 11:45:19 AM
I don't think we have ever seen this dynamic in any other Federal election.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

Nope. I've been voting for 30 years now, and this is the first time I've ever seen an election this impossible to gauge
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2015, 12:34:27 PM
I don't follow your logic.  If the Conservatives cannot form government why wouldn't a Conservative voter want to choose the party they think is the lesser of two evils to be the party who does?

Because in a minority situation the two parties are supporting each other in any event.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

It's looking increasingly likely that no one will form a majority. So the question is can the NDP and Liberals form a government? In the past, the NDP has been unwilling to move to the centre to accommodate that...but now it shouldn't be so hard for the NDP to swing back left and support the Liberals. I don't know...too many tangibles. Too close to call. In all likelihood we'll have to wait for the B.C. votes to actually mean something this time. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2015, 01:04:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2015, 12:34:27 PM

Because in a minority situation the two parties are supporting each other in any event.

Because it is not a coalition government.  Barring a majority Conservative government either the NDP or the Liberals will form government.  They will then need the support of the House to pass legislation just like the conservatives did when they had a minority.  I take it you concede that it is was important that the Conservatives formed a minority government rather than the other parties. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 23, 2015, 01:05:11 PM
Too close to call. In all likelihood we'll have to wait for the B.C. votes to actually mean something this time. :lol:

Maybe but I think whether any party can form a majority is going to be decided in Ontario.  By the time polls close in central Canada BC voters will perhaps be able to influence who has the most seats in a minority government.

Josephus

Heard of two new polls this a.m. that indicate Harper moving into majority territory. Not surprised, but still  :(

Grey Fox

It's the Hijab thing & the refugees. Even I think the NDP position is crazy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 24, 2015, 05:35:59 AM
Heard of two new polls this a.m. that indicate Harper moving into majority territory. Not surprised, but still  :(

I was just going to post one of them :cool:

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/24/conservatives-swing-into-lead-close-in-on-majority-government-new-poll-suggests.html

We shall see if other polls confirm this.  It's a pretty big swing in an election that has seen very little movement, but obviously I'm hopeful.

And tonight if a French debate.  Everyone will be gunning for Mulcair, as the NDP is leading in Quebec.  This also sees the inclusion of Duceppe.  Huge if, but if the BQ can start showing signs of life that seriously impairs the NDP's chance at government.

Valmy

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised support for the NDP is dropping off as people start to get serious about who they are going to vote for.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I am not surprised by the swing.  I get there is a sense that there has been a large pool of undecided voters that beginning to decide who they will support. Or it could just be I think everyone is like me. :D

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 12:06:10 PM
I guess I shouldn't be so surprised support for the NDP is dropping off as people start to get serious about who they are going to vote for.

The same thing did not happen in Alberta though.  Perhaps showing why a longer campaign played to the Conservatives advantage (and for our foreign readers of this thread, the length of this campaign is almost unprecedented).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2015, 11:59:57 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 24, 2015, 05:35:59 AM

I was just going to post one of them :cool:

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/24/conservatives-swing-into-lead-close-in-on-majority-government-new-poll-suggests.html

We shall see if other polls confirm this.  It's a pretty big swing in an election that has seen very little movement, but obviously I'm hopeful.

And tonight if a French debate.  Everyone will be gunning for Mulcair, as the NDP is leading in Quebec.  This also sees the inclusion of Duceppe.  Huge if, but if the BQ can start showing signs of life that seriously impairs the NDP's chance at government.

Tomorrow morning the NDP will be very worried about Quebec. BQ might not be in front but NDP will have lost significant number. Duceppe will hammer (he has to) that Mulcair is anti-loi 101, was Alliance Quebec lawyer & basically a probusiness right turncoat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 24, 2015, 01:38:22 PM
& basically a probusiness right turncoat.
that will be his coup de grĂ¢ce.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Elizabeth May is getting better at French, good for her.  Though she's playing in the same electoral base as the NDP and the Bloc.  Too crowded for her.

Harper has been solid, deflecting most attacks.

Trudeau said of Mulcair he was pro-centralization.  Mulcair seemed lost on that one, I guess he did not expect this from Trudeau :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.