News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 02:24:04 PM
Hey I didn't choose to live in a presidential republic either. But it is not really imposed on you anymore than that is on me. You just need to get the rest of the voters to change the constitution. Done.
You can choose your head of State every 4 years.  Indirectly, but still, you have a say in who gets to vote for him.
I don't.

Garbon chose to be living in the UK.  He got a Queen for some British ass.  That's his choice.

Short of abandoning my family here, selling everything I own and moving to the US, I don't have much choice in the political regime.  Besides, moving out is the easy way.  I want to fight for what is just, within the limits of my democracy, of course.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 02:42:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 01:56:25 PM
I really don't get the hatred of the British monarchy. I'm here now paying for their upkeep and I can't really care one way or another.

The hatred of the monarchy thing is hard to understand. The notion that the monarchy is, collectively, "like" the confederate flag is pretty risible.  :D
Of course it is risible. For an English Canadian.  Lots of people find risible the notion that the Confederate flag is a racist symbol.  Not many of them are african americans, though.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 06:04:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 02:24:04 PM
Hey I didn't choose to live in a presidential republic either. But it is not really imposed on you anymore than that is on me. You just need to get the rest of the voters to change the constitution. Done.
You can choose your head of State every 4 years.  Indirectly, but still, you have a say in who gets to vote for him.
I don't.

Garbon chose to be living in the UK.  He got a Queen for some British ass.  That's his choice.

Short of abandoning my family here, selling everything I own and moving to the US, I don't have much choice in the political regime.  Besides, moving out is the easy way.  I want to fight for what is just, within the limits of my democracy, of course.

Wait I don't understand. I can choose to leave the US but you can't choose to leave Quebec?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also and what the fuck? I moved to the UK for British ass? As though there are no British people who come to New York? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

You end a lot of true facts with question marks, Gman.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Monoriu

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 06:04:34 PM

Monarchy will never be abolished in Canada. And neither will Quebec secede.

Deal with it, and move on.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 07:29:11 PM
That's how Valley girls talk?

In thus case all were legitimate questions. -_-

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Well yes, those are the two words. :P

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 06:12:30 PM
Wait I don't understand. I can choose to leave the US but you can't choose to leave Quebec?
I chose to stay and fight for what I believe is right.
You chose to live in a monarchy because it didn't bother you enough to not do so.
That it doesn't bother you is your thing.

And besides, I don't see any employement opportunity for me in the US right now.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 06:16:03 PM
Also and what the fuck? I moved to the UK for British ass? As though there are no British people who come to New York? :huh:
Sarcasm.  I don't know your reason, but I imagine you did it because you have a job opportunity.