News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Now there's an idea I can get behind!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on June 08, 2015, 09:41:23 PM
Now there's an idea I can get behind!

Seems I can't get drunk enough to avoid the gloating.  But then again that's to be expected from foreigners.  Yet it's much harder to take coming from one's own people: "Oy!  We're gettin' assimilated and we' so friggin proud of it!"  The fucking cunts need culling so badly!  And I'm no position to give it to them. <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 08:17:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2015, 04:50:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 02:21:58 PM
No word on Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada?

?
Don't tell me the english canadian media never talked about it!
http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstitution/index.php?p=3

The conclusion was that the indians in Canada suffered a cultural genocide.  Harper does not want to hear the word genocide, he talks of "forced assimilation".

There has been extensive coverage in the media which is why I wondered what you meant

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 08:17:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2015, 04:50:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 02:21:58 PM
No word on Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada?

?
Don't tell me the english canadian media never talked about it!
http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstitution/index.php?p=3

The conclusion was that the indians in Canada suffered a cultural genocide.  Harper does not want to hear the word genocide, he talks of "forced assimilation".

Cultural genocide? :bleeding:

At any rate, forced assimilation is a pretty negative term. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Why the negative reaction to the term cultural genocide Garbon?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2015, 10:47:15 AM

It is one of those concepts that can turn perfectly innocuous things into crimes against humanity. Those are lame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2015, 10:50:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2015, 10:47:15 AM

It is one of those concepts that can turn perfectly innocuous things into crimes against humanity. Those are lame.

Ok, but what we are talking about here is not perfectly innocuous so I will ask the question again.  :P

garbon

Well as I noted, I think "forced assimilation" is already a pretty negative term in its own right. I don't think there is any value added by throwing "genocide" into the mix.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Cultural genocide is a retarded term.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

*evil culture*-ification was the traditional term for it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2015, 11:22:35 AM
Well as I noted, I think "forced assimilation" is already a pretty negative term in its own right. I don't think there is any value added by throwing "genocide" into the mix.

The issue is that the word assimilation was used long before we had disclosure of all the horrors which occurred within the residential school systems.  People would talk about assimilation in terms of children not being allowed to speak their own language and outlawing culturally significant ceremonies like the Potlatch.  The impression left with the word assimilation is that native peoples then lived like everyone else. 

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on June 08, 2015, 08:50:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 02:17:47 PM
We could say the same about our individual situation inside the province.  Neither one of use like the current situation.  You think we lean too much to the right, I think we lean too much to the left.  We could leave for elsewhere, or keep bitching and hoping one day things will change for the better.

That's the problem with you and the likes of you...  You can't put aside your petty agenda(s) for the greater good.  You'd risk our Nation's survival for a vulgar question of economy; as if we couldn't decide, amongst ourselves afterwards, what's good or bad!  No, you'd rather let foreigners decide in your stead.  I'm this close to believe French-Canadians should disappear altogether for lack of ambition, lack of vision and lack of balls.  Let your kind be assimilated, since they desire it so much, you fucking Elvis Graton du câlisse!

G.
Economy is what will save us.  People like you like to keep focus on secondary issues instead of the main objectives.  Just like the French in the Seven Years War, you will achieve lots of insignificant victories.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2015, 11:01:17 PM
There has been extensive coverage in the media which is why I wondered what you meant
But no one here talked about it, and I was wondering what you all thought.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.