And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2015, 12:18:43 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.
Good finance minister in his time, mediocre PM and leader of the Yes camp for 1995.

The man who destroyed forever Quebec's chances at independence. A true Canadian patriot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on June 02, 2015, 07:55:47 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 02, 2015, 07:07:54 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 12:59:12 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.
Good finance minister in his time, mediocre PM and leader of the Yes camp for 1995.
:zipped:
Why do you not like him?
It's pretty obvious, when you think about it.

Yes, but shortsighted.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

He was a man who dedicated his life to an issue he and many others were and are passionate about.  Few people can make that claim.

RIP

Barrister

RIP Jacques Parizeau.

Why do you not like him?

He was racist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Valmy

He regularly told ethnic Albertan jokes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 08:02:44 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.

The man who destroyed forever Quebec's chances at independence. A true Canadian patriot.
yes, there should be at least a University named in his honor somewhere in Canada :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

RIP Jacques Parizeau.

Why do you not like him?
He mismanaged the Yes campaign, rushing in with no chance of victory and no plan to achieve victory.  He had half baked studies, rushed out to support the cause and hoped to convinced everyone with this, and it failed.

As a PM, he spent his one year tenure to prepare the referendum, reversing the few good decisions the Liberals had taken and not managing anything else in the government.  All his strategies were aimed at a victory, with no contingency plan.

Compare him to Georges Washington or Sam Houston.  Instead of rushing head on against an army superior in number and tactics, they harassed the main army, poked at it, retreated more often then they attacked, used patience, kept their forces together, and when the time came, they struck fatal blows to the ennemy.  the United States and Texas became independant nations.  Quebec did not.

As a PM, he was catastrophic.  It took until 1997 for the Quebec government to get a functional web site.  Even today, the word "functional" is lost to them, we inherited the architecture laid out by various government with no grand plan.  Bouchard tried to change that, but neither Landry nor Parizeau understood this.

As a former Premier, he was catastrophic for his party.  Always playing the step mother and criticizing everything, costing them victory in at least one case (Landry's would be election, paving the way for the disastrous Charest years) and not helping at all in many other circumstances.  And his economic theory is stuck in the 60s, with über state intervention in everything.  "It doesn't work?  We need more!".  Bullshit.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Ok, now we know why Viper doesn't like him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 11:13:18 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.

Why do you not like him?

He was racist.
Xenophobic, more likely.  Racist implies you believe a racial group is superior to another.  Like the KKK.  Parizeau didn't believe that.  But he was mistrutful of non pure-laine Québécois.  Some of this mistrust was justified, given the Liberal Party tendancies to swear in new citizens by busloads (to the colours of the LPC) on the eve of elections and referendum.  But it should have been directed at the scumbags from the NO camp, like Chrétien, not the immigrants themselves, caught between two camps in a debate they may not have been entirely familiar with prior to their arrival.  It was the PQ's task to seek out these people and convince them of the merit of their option, it wasn't these people taks to bask in the love of the PQ or perish.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2015, 01:44:29 PM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.

Why do you not like him?

He was racist.
Xenophobic, more likely.  Racist implies you believe a racial group is superior to another.  Like the KKK.  Parizeau didn't believe that.  But he was mistrutful of non pure-laine Québécois.  Some of this mistrust was justified, given the Liberal Party tendancies to swear in new citizens by busloads (to the colours of the LPC) on the eve of elections and referendum.  But it should have been directed at the scumbags from the NO camp, like Chrétien, not the immigrants themselves, caught between two camps in a debate they may not have been entirely familiar with prior to their arrival.  It was the PQ's task to seek out these people and convince them of the merit of their option, it wasn't these people taks to bask in the love of the PQ or perish.

I'll accept your correction.  Xenophobic then.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 01:48:31 PM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.

Why do you not like him?

He was racist.

I'll accept your correction.  Xenophobic then.

Again,  :huh:

Drakken

So the fact that Parizeau was calling out the Canadian ethnic-community congresses (like the Italo-Canadians, Jewish-Canadians, and Helleno-Canadians) which asked its members to vote in block for the No side, despite any argument in favour of independence, made him xenophobic?

I'm not a separatist, this is just such a wide jab.