Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Oh come on, be sensible, vote NDP.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2015, 09:15:06 PM
Oh come on, be sensible, vote NDP.
That's not sensible.  Voting for the federal NDP if you're in Alberta and have to work in the private sector just doesn't make sense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

If things made sense we could vote for the Liberal party but that's not an option anymore.

Josephus

MacKay is resigning. Wonder why
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Josephus

Yup...wants to spend more time with family. Reasonable. Thought it was health related.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on May 29, 2015, 08:47:56 AM
Yup...wants to spend more time with family. Reasonable. Thought it was health related.

plus you know, that pension rule.

Barrister

That is surprising.  At 49, he's not really young enough to want to retire, and politics is pretty much all he's ever done (although he started as a Crown).

He's newly married, with a young child and another on the way.  Perhaps that's it?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2015, 09:35:44 AM
That is surprising.  At 49, he's not really young enough to want to retire, and politics is pretty much all he's ever done (although he started as a Crown).

He's newly married, with a young child and another on the way.  Perhaps that's it?

MacKay is the obvious remaining pretender/heir, and the head of the "Progressive" faction within the party. He is the only caucus member beside Harper to have actually been the leader of a federal party.

It is the right thing to do to step down for family reasons now, not to be attached to the present campaign if it fails, and return as the first contender either next year or at the end of the next mandate when Harper steps down.

crazy canuck

Mackay has never impressed me.  I have always assumed he received his cabinet post in return for delivering the PCs in the merger.  I wish him well in his new life.  Getting out of politics now was a smart move.  He doesn't take the pension hit if he ran in the next election and he gets to go out as a cabinet minister.  The alternative is much more risky.

Barrister

The black mark on MacKay will always be the deal he made with David Orchard, which he promptly broke.

Now, breaking the deal was absolutely the right thing to do, but he was the one who made it in the first place.

And yeah, as a minister he has been tolerable (there have been far greater fuckups as minister than him) but unremarkable.  CC, his cabinet post is as about the limited bench strength coming from Atlantic Canada for the Conservatives as for any other reason.

viper37

RIP Jacques Parizeau.
Good finance minister in his time, mediocre PM and leader of the Yes camp for 1995.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2015, 12:18:43 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.
Good finance minister in his time, mediocre PM and leader of the Yes camp for 1995.

:zipped:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 12:59:12 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.

Why do you not like him?

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 02, 2015, 07:07:54 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 12:59:12 AM
RIP Jacques Parizeau.
Why do you not like him?
It's pretty obvious, when you think about it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.