News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on March 03, 2014, 07:06:06 PM

That's doesn't raise any alarms in your head?  Or are you so focused on your cause that's you're willing to forgive&forget everything so long as it is your party doing it?

I have no doubt there are rotten apples in the PQ, but corruption & collusion are specialties of federasts - an 'art de vivre' really.  After all, moral corruption tend to spread to all spheres of one's life - so once you're a traitor to your own people - it becomes easier and easier to cross further moral boundaries - such as stealing from the public - or rigging referendums like they did the last time.  Besides I know where my priorities are: first & foremost we must leave Canada if we are to survive, after that is done we can wrangle all we want amongst ourselves about which way is up and which is down.  Besides why do you keep supporting a party that will most likely disappear after this election, unless some major surprises?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2014, 10:43:27 AM
or they stop pretending they are a bilingual country, just like the US, and provide services in only one language, i.e. english.

But that's not even uniformly true about the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 03, 2014, 08:55:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 07:08:05 PM
Well for starters we would stop funding French education options like French immersion in our public schools.
What is the probability that your son, having attended one of those school, will choose to educate his children in French when the time comes?

I would say the chances are 100% that all my line will learn to speak French.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2014, 10:43:27 AM
Either Canada is a bilingual country, and both language groups get equal services everywhere, or they stop pretending they are a bilingual country, just like the US, and provide services in only one language, i.e. english.

Being a bilingual country means that every citizen can access Federal services in both languages. And this is true.  In fact French speakers are disproportionately represented in the Federal Public Service and have a huge advantage in internal hiring competitions within the Federal system as a result of that rule.

Bilingualism does not mean Provincial governments must do so.  If that were ture then Quebec would be required to disband all their language laws  ;)

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 12:12:08 PM
Well for starters we would stop funding French education options like French immersion in our public schools.
What is the probability that your son, having attended one of those school, will choose to educate his children in French when the time comes?

How far in the future are you going with "all my line"? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 12:25:46 PM

As far as it will go.  The Vipers the world are so paranoid that they fail to see that the French language recommends itself, no matter how much they insult people who will wish to learn it.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 12:30:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 12:25:46 PM

As far as it will go.  The Vipers the world are so paranoid that they fail to see that the French language recommends itself, no matter how much they insult people who will wish to learn it.

I'm just thinking that there could be people in your line who choose to opt out of learning French and not because they wish to kill off the French language.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 12:45:54 PM
I'm just thinking that there could be people in your line who choose to opt out of learning French and not because they wish to kill off the French language.

That is of course possible.  I would hope not.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 12:30:52 PM
How have I insulted anyone who wish to learn French? Aren't you a tad paranoid here?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 11:44:48 AM
Well, I checked after our last conversation, and about half the States have one official language, English.  At the Federal level, while there is no official language, I can not get any government form in a language other than English.

Only two states I know of will offer some limited services in French, Louisiana and Vermont.  I couldn't find any spanish public schools in Texas, California or Arizona, but I haven't check all the States either, so I might have missed one or two.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I didn't realize you meant all or nothing. There are certainly resources out at different levels of government that don't speak English. Notably when voting, I get information packets that are full of information.

Just looked up and here were the languages on NYC ballot:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/election-ballots-printed-tiny-6-point-font-article-1.1486991#ixzz2v7pNjXHu
QuoteThe teeny-tiny type stems from the board's need to make Bengali the fifth language on the ballots. The other four are English, Spanish, Chinese and Korean.

And here's from the IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-Tax-Help-Available-From-the-IRS-1
QuoteHelp in Other Languages and Formats

The Multilingual Gateway on IRS.gov contains federal tax information in Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese.

For access to content in Spanish, taxpayers can also click on 'Español' from the IRS website, where in addition to tax information for individuals and businesses, taxpayers will find IRS Free File options in Spanish, useful tools like ¿Dónde está mi reembolso? and Asistente EITC or IRS news updates through Noticias en Español.

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers provide help to taxpayers in more than 150 languages through interpretation services.

Information about credits, deductions and tax law changes is available on YouTube through the IRSvideos, Spanish at IRSvideosmultilingua and in American Sign Language at IRSvideosASL.

A variety of Braille materials can be downloaded from IRS.gov in .brf format that can be sent directly to an embosser for high quality Braille output. Braille materials are also available for order by calling the IRS at 800-829-3676 and for pick-up at certain libraries.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2014, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 11:44:48 AM
Well, I checked after our last conversation, and about half the States have one official language, English.  At the Federal level, while there is no official language, I can not get any government form in a language other than English.

Only two states I know of will offer some limited services in French, Louisiana and Vermont.  I couldn't find any spanish public schools in Texas, California or Arizona, but I haven't check all the States either, so I might have missed one or two.

It would be very surprising if Arizona had a Spanish only language public high school (unless that was one of the white devil's cunning traps... :shifty:)

To the best of my knowledge all the standardized tests in the United States are in English.  With the emphasis placed on standardized testing, a Spanish language only public school would be unworkable.  (There are bilingual schools, in Miami there are even ones for Hatian Creole.  Funkmonk would be ecstatic.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

An argument is stirring that if the US does indeed retire the A-10, Canada should acquire them: http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2014/03/04/its-time-for-the-rcaf-to-buy-used-u-s-a-10-warthogs/

crazy canuck

Is the A-10 really a multi purpose aircraft?  I thought it had a very specialized purpose?

viper37

Learning to speak French is one thing, just like learning English for us.  Choosing to live your life in French because you attended French immersion class is very different.  This would be assimilation.  It would be forced assimilation if you were to realize that you absolutely have to know English to get by in your daily life.

As it is now, are you aware of any provinces in Canada where you could live your life by knowing solely French?  Just like in Quebec, where you can live without speaking a word of French?