News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

There's definitely something to the 'cool' --> 'coowell' thing that you quoted. Guy I work with spent years in California and he has that exact (and very non-Canadian) accent. Another friend of mine moved here from California (from the Sacramento area) and she's got that 'coowell' thing going too.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 06:54:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 05:08:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Oh wait, wiki has something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_English

QuoteMany rural white Californians speak with a western Oklahoma-like drawl that is quite distinct from the high-pitched, fast-talking of city folk in coastal Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay region.

Not quite it.  The rural folks have a fairly strong accent.  The urban coastal folks have more of a subtle drawl but it is detectable.   The fact that it is not strong makes it quite nice to listen too.  Back in the day when I spent a lot of time in the US playing ball people here would confuse me for someone from California because I had picked up the accent.

Hmm. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not surprised at all that a person who is raised with those accents cant hear them.  Kind of like how Malthus doesnt hear himself saying aboot.

garbon

But it also seems weird that no one has ever said to me, you sound like a Cali...well actually that has been said but I've never had anyone make comments about my accent. Just distinctions based on linguistics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2013, 10:24:14 AM
But it also seems weird that no one has ever said to me, you sound like a Cali...well actually that has been said but I've never had anyone make comments about my accent. Just distinctions based on linguistics.

OK, spend a bit of time in Vancouver and ask someone around here if they can place your accent.  Of course by now it will have become influenced by your current location ;)

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2013, 10:35:13 AM

OK, spend a bit of time in Vancouver and ask someone around here if they can place your accent.  Of course by now it will have become influenced by your current location ;)

Will it have, though? I've only been here 3 years. I definitely don't have any version of the Massachusetts accent and I spent more time there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2013, 10:37:30 AMWill it have, though? I've only been here 3 years. I definitely don't have any version of the Massachusetts accent and I spent more time there.

Probably yeah.

People tend to adopt the way of speaking of their surroundings, at least ever so slightly. And whatever we may say against you, you're definitely a person.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2013, 10:37:30 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2013, 10:35:13 AM

Will it have, though? I've only been here 3 years. I definitely don't have any version of the Massachusetts accent and I spent more time there.

I would say so.  Based on my own experience that being in the US for short periods (far shorter than three years) tended to influence my accent to the point of being noticeable by others when I returned.  Of course to my ear my accent had not changed at all.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2013, 10:43:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2013, 10:37:30 AMWill it have, though? I've only been here 3 years. I definitely don't have any version of the Massachusetts accent and I spent more time there.

Probably yeah.

People tend to adopt the way of speaking of their surroundings, at least ever so slightly. And whatever we may say against you, you're definitely a person.

:lol:

I wonder what that means about the state of my accent, in general, given that I move back and forth so frequently.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2013, 11:00:56 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2013, 10:43:23 AM

Probably yeah.

:lol:

I wonder what that means about the state of my accent, in general, given that I move back and forth so frequently.

It probably explains why nobody in the US really comments on your accent.

Malthus

What do you all think of Justin Trudeau's open letter on the Quebec Charter?

http://www.liberal.ca/open-letter-quebec/?SCID=102172018
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

That he values Religious freedom over secularism. That's good position for him, that's where his electoral base is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Usual bullshit from a multikulti apologist.  *shrug*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

I see Trudeau is once again floating the legalization and taxation of pot.  According to Grallon he is also a "miltikulti"

Worth a second look?  If it was anyone else than him I would say certainly yes - worth a second look.  I just cant get over my first negative impression of him.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2013, 11:40:29 AM
I see Trudeau is once again floating the legalization and taxation of pot.  According to Grallon he is also a "miltikulti"

Worth a second look?  If it was anyone else than him I would say certainly yes - worth a second look.  I just cant get over my first negative impression of him.

Best case for Trudeau (re: you) is that he slowly and painfully digs himself out of the first impression hole by not fucking up and occasionally even doing better than that, combined with post-Harper Conservatives (whenever that is) who act like a shower of idiots (much like the post-Chretien Liberals self destructed)?