News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 02:56:53 PM
Yeah, a lot of the language usage Americans like to attribute to Canada comes out of Ontario - aboot is another example. 

Its like saying all people in the US talk like Texans.

A lot of this accent stuff is relative.

My GF from California, decades ago, laughed at my accent because she thought I said "aboot", whereas she said the word normally ... but to me, it sounded like she said "abaaauuut".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Yes, some Californians have a bit of a lazy drawl to their speech.  But I hear Ontarians saying aboot too ;)

Admiral Yi

OK, in my distant memory of visiting Vancouver when I was 19 I don't recall much eh and aboot (or proe-cess) so I can see it mostly being an Ontario thing.  But Ontario is what, like 40% of the pop, more like 60% of Anglophone pop?

But I have committed to the Beeb deal, so I'll just have to avoid him.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 03:05:03 PM
Yes, some Californians have a bit of a lazy drawl to their speech.  But I hear Ontarians saying aboot too ;)

I'm pretty sure I don't say "aboot". 

Anyway, point is that California lazy drawl is sexy on a beautiful woman ... wait, what was the point again?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:09:07 PM
OK, in my distant memory of visiting Vancouver when I was 19 I don't recall much eh and aboot (or proe-cess) so I can see it mostly being an Ontario thing.  But Ontario is what, like 40% of the pop, more like 60% of Anglophone pop?

But I have committed to the Beeb deal, so I'll just have to avoid him.

:weep:

The "aboot" thing... it's in the ear of the beholder.  I've been told I say "aboot", but I don't hear it myself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:12:07 PM
Anyway, point is that California lazy drawl is sexy on a beautiful woman ... wait, what was the point again?  ;)

Any accent sounds good on a beautiful woman.  The test of a sexy accent is how it makes  a plain woman sound.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:12:07 PM

Any accent sounds good on a beautiful woman.  The test of a sexy accent is how it makes  a plain woman sound.

Can't tell you that - this particular ex-gf was hot as hell. Or at least, so I thought.  :D

Never really known any other women from California ...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2013, 03:18:40 PM

The "aboot" thing... it's in the ear of the beholder.  I've been told I say "aboot", but I don't hear it myself.

If you can hear the difference between what you're saying and "abowt," then you're saying "aboot."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2013, 03:18:40 PM

If you can hear the difference between what you're saying and "abowt," then you're saying "aboot."

I heard how the Americans were saying "about" and it sounded the same as what I was saying.  But they insisted I was saying "aboot".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2013, 03:39:40 PM
I heard how the Americans were saying "about" and it sounded the same as what I was saying.  But they insisted I was saying "aboot".

Maybe they were fucking with you.  You know how we like to pick on Canadians.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Maybe they mean Surf Punk Speak like Spiccoli in Fast Times at Ridgement High.  But I've never heard a girl talk like that.

Maybe Valley Girl Speak?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 04:15:20 PM
Maybe Valley Girl Speak?

Yeah I could see that.  The drawl bit they talk about (in Mal's example) isn't something I'd say is typical of California. Maybe someone imported into California.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh wait, wiki has something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_English

QuoteMany rural white Californians speak with a western Oklahoma-like drawl that is quite distinct from the high-pitched, fast-talking of city folk in coastal Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay region.

Admiral Yi

I have a hard time seeing Malthus with a chick from Bakersfield.