News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 04:20:17 PM
I have a hard time seeing Malthus with a chick from Bakersfield.

What about during his poverty period?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 04:23:17 PM
She was backpacking?

He said she was a main squeeze, not a lay.  And Okies don't backpack.

Malthus

Heh, we met of all places in Israel -  volunteering for a season to work on an archaeological dig at a place called Tel Dor. I was young, just finished high school. She was a couple of years older.

I dunno what part of California she was from. She had a very cute drawl ...  :wub:  unfortunately the long-distance thing was not for us and so the end of the season was the end of the relationship.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Oh wait, wiki has something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_English

QuoteMany rural white Californians speak with a western Oklahoma-like drawl that is quite distinct from the high-pitched, fast-talking of city folk in coastal Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay region.

Not quite it.  The rural folks have a fairly strong accent.  The urban coastal folks have more of a subtle drawl but it is detectable.   The fact that it is not strong makes it quite nice to listen too.  Back in the day when I spent a lot of time in the US playing ball people here would confuse me for someone from California because I had picked up the accent.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2013, 03:18:40 PM
:weep:

The "aboot" thing... it's in the ear of the beholder.  I've been told I say "aboot", but I don't hear it myself.

The "ou" sound that most Canadians use in "out" and "about" is one Americans don't use, and most can't pronounce it. It is somewhere between "aboot" and "abowt".

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 05:08:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Oh wait, wiki has something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_English

QuoteMany rural white Californians speak with a western Oklahoma-like drawl that is quite distinct from the high-pitched, fast-talking of city folk in coastal Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay region.

Not quite it.  The rural folks have a fairly strong accent.  The urban coastal folks have more of a subtle drawl but it is detectable.   The fact that it is not strong makes it quite nice to listen too.  Back in the day when I spent a lot of time in the US playing ball people here would confuse me for someone from California because I had picked up the accent.

Hmm. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Admiral Yi

Neither do I.  LA area can be kind of chirpy and high pitched, but that's about it.

garbon

Here's the only other thing I can see.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/11/california_accent_the_californians_snl_study.php

QuoteOur understanding was that the California "accent" was utterly neutral, like a local weatherman explaining a 70-degree day in fall.

But new research at Stanford University called "The Voices of California Project" suggests that "The Californians" might be on to something.

There is such a thing as the "California vowel shift," where a vowel gets a second life (cool becomes coowell), Stanford graduate student Annette D'Onofrio tells The California Report:

If you try to think about what you think a surfer or a skater or a valley girl talks like, and do it, you can feel your mouth feels different. And I think that has to do a lot with the way that the vowels are shifting.

garbon

That said, the only real thing I can pinpoint from California in my own speech / the speech of my family that suggest an origin is are our use of a definite article when getting on highways. So "take the 10 towards Indio" as opposed to "take 90 towards Boston".

garbon

Okay, I just looked up California accent on youtube. Seems to be a lot of people miming valley girl / surfer speak.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 11:51:24 AM
It seems separatist politicians dont like it when one of their number speaks truth to power.

QuoteA sovereigntist Bloc Québécois Member of Parliament who spoke out against the Quebec government plan to ban some personal signs of religious faith from public workplaces has been kicked out of her party caucus.

Maria Mourani, who was one of only five Bloc MPs, was expelled Thursday. On Wednesday, Ms. Mourani described the Parti Québécois plan as discriminatory, probably illegal and strategically disastrous for a sovereignty movement that has struggled to convince Quebec minorities of the allure of national independence.

The BQ asks it's members to not take position. She did, that's usually gets you excluded.

The BQ doesn't seem to be in favor of this but is trying to avoid sayin so.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 04:21:30 PM

What about during his "poverty" period?

FYP
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2013, 08:03:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 04:21:30 PM

What about during his "poverty" period?

FYP

Well yes, that was my intention with that post. -_-