News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 02, 2013, 09:02:24 PM
Or it could be that he ordered cards and didn't think about adding French. Or more likely his assistant ordered cards.
he didn't hide from it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 03, 2013, 01:01:20 PM
You know you live in a boring time and place (in the Chinese-curse sense), when the details of a politician's business cards form a truly significant public scandal.  :lol:
we don't have Coup d'État, so something has to give :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2013, 09:47:54 AM
Or it could be that he ordered cards and didn't think about adding French. Or more likely his assistant ordered cards.
he didn't hide from it.

So I looked into this a bit more, mainly because but for Languish I would not have heard a about it.  Turns out this is about as much of a non story as one can get.  Back in 2011 Baird's office ordered a number of business cards for one price.  A number of those cards were bilingual and some were English only.  The English only cards are used in countries where only English is spoken.

Let loose the indignation!

crazy canuck

I see that Sun News is not going to get status as part of the basic cable package.   Thankfully we have avoided one more channel I need to pay for and never watch.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 04:52:29 PM
I see that Sun News is not going to get status as part of the basic cable package.   Thankfully we have avoided one more channel I need to pay for and never watch.

Hurrah for the CRTC.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Surprising absolutely noone.  24-hour news channels are detrimental to society no matter what their political orientation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2013, 10:04:07 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2013, 09:47:54 AM
he didn't hide from it.

So I looked into this a bit more, mainly because but for Languish I would not have heard a about it.  Turns out this is about as much of a non story as one can get.  Back in 2011 Baird's office ordered a number of business cards for one price.  A number of those cards were bilingual and some were English only.  The English only cards are used in countries where only English is spoken.

Let loose the indignation!
it sends the message that Canada is an english country, not a bilingual one.  I don't see the problem with a bilingual card.  English speakers around the world are offended by the sight of French?

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2013, 08:58:43 PM
Surprising absolutely noone.  24-hour news channels are detrimental to society no matter what their political orientation.
we need to get hourly news about Kate's pregnancy and George Alexander's feeding and sleep.  If we don,t have 24hrs news channel, who's gonna tell Canadians that the wet nurse fed the baby and a servant change its diaper 1hr ago??  You think only of yourself, as usual.

crazy canuck

Viper, in all honesty you are giving a lot of support to the notion that separatists go out of their way to feel offended.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2013, 09:18:58 AM
Viper, in all honesty you are giving a lot of support to the notion that separatists go out of their way to feel offended.

Yeah though, I could see that the notion is that one needs to be hyper-vigilant because otherwise people might try to get away actually problematic things.  It wouldn't even need to be out of malice though, just general indifference.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Ezra Levant upset government will not subsidize his rants against government subsidies

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/828-ezra-levant-upset-government-will-not-subsidize-his-rants-against-government-subsidies

viper37

I am offended. Why the fuck would a minister pay 3x the base cost of his already bilingual cards to order others?  There's no small economy.

If they had come free with the order, it would have been ok,  but he fucking paid an extra for this.  I'm a fiscal conservative, I expect reasonable spending from my government, be it for a business trip, a party at the Los Angeles Consulate, business cards, anything.

As for the Queen consort/whatever to be maybe someday, well, it's just a general annoyance at overexposure in the media for something silly as being pregnant and giving birth.  Just tape the fucking thing and sell it to the suckers who need this to live.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2013, 09:43:04 AM

Ezra Levant upset government will not subsidize his rants against government subsidies

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/828-ezra-levant-upset-government-will-not-subsidize-his-rants-against-government-subsidies

"The CRTC should be supporting more real news, not clownish entertainers who spew ideological dogma and unchecked facts" Levant added.

he,he  :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 09, 2013, 11:58:16 AM
I am offended. Why the fuck would a minister pay 3x the base cost of his already bilingual cards to order others?  There's no small economy.

He didnt

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on August 09, 2013, 11:58:16 AM

If they had come free with the order, it would have been ok,  but he fucking paid an extra for this.  I'm a fiscal conservative, I expect reasonable spending from my government, be it for a business trip, a party at the Los Angeles Consulate, business cards, anything.

As for the Queen consort/whatever to be maybe someday, well, it's just a general annoyance at overexposure in the media for something silly as being pregnant and giving birth.  Just tape the fucking thing and sell it to the suckers who need this to live.

Okay, here's the story as you seem to be reacting to it:

"The minister went out of his way, paying extra, to get English only business cards; apparently to make some sort of subtle political point."

If that is indeed what happened, then I agree that it is offensive. The story is a little curious, though, because there doesn't seem to be any real upside to do it.

On the other hand, after looking into it a bit CC came across another version of the story, namely:

"Someone made a mistake - at the printer or in the minister's office - and English only cards were printed in addition to bilingual ones; rather than than throwing them out and spending more money on printing, the minister used the English only cards in purely English contexts."

IF this is a more accurate description of events, would you be less offended?