And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 04:13:04 PM
Context.

Quebecois sovereigntism is grounded in a history of being treated as second class citizen, as well as genuine and significant linguistic and cultural differences. That seems to be a better basis for a separatist movement than whatever petulant crankery gets served up by Western separatists.

Then there's the fact that Quebecois sovereigntists speak for a larger proportion of the population they purport to represent, which gives them more weight than Western Separatists who are primarily a handful of Albertans deciding to speak for the Prairie provinces and BC.

That said, I'm in favour of Canada staying in one piece.

YMMV... i've spent many years on the West Coast and a handful now in Alberta and my experience is that the Cascadian independence voice is a louder one than any Albertan independence faction.  Not contradicting your experience, just offering an alternative one.

Jacob

Quote from: PRC on August 01, 2013, 11:05:25 PMYMMV... i've spent many years on the West Coast and a handful now in Alberta and my experience is that the Cascadian independence voice is a louder one than any Albertan independence faction.  Not contradicting your experience, just offering an alternative one.

I haven't encountered people in favour of Cascadian independence beyond the level of drunken bar conversations and alt-map enthusiasts; I mean, the Cascadia people are picturing a union of BC, Oregon, and Washington which is straight up laughable.

My impression of Albertan secessionist types is that they're marginally more organized and realistic, but I could be wrong. But if they're no more together than the Cascadian independence crowd they certainly don't rate anywhere near the same level of attention and seriousness as Quebec sovereigntists.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2013, 04:19:26 PMBut there is a history of the west being treated, at least economically, as second class citizens.  The NRTA, NEP, the Wheat Board.  In general most economic decisions made in Ottawa were to the benefit of central canadian manufacturing centre, and to the detriment of the western canadian resource sector.

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Does not the same objection apply to Francophone grievances?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Baird has unilingual business cards, in contradiction with the current laws specifying bilingual cards.

Now, while anglos are bitching about the costs of bilinguism in Canada, while we're supposed to apply austerity measures and cuts everywhere, what do we have?  A minister who violates the law and ordres unilingual business cards for 424.88$ a piece while the bilingual ones costs 197$ each.  I guess this is the real costs of bilinguism in this country...  It costs 3 times as much to satisfy the western anti-french sentiment than to respect the french minority of this country. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

That does seem a petty, unworthy gesture yeah.

Neil

1.  Francophones are stupid.

2.  $500 a card?  What's wrong with this guy?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2013, 04:18:18 PM
1.  Francophones are stupid.

2.  $500 a card?  What's wrong with this guy?

I'm hoping that's per order of cards...

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on August 02, 2013, 02:26:26 PM
Baird has unilingual business cards, in contradiction with the current laws specifying bilingual cards.

Now, while anglos are bitching about the costs of bilinguism in Canada, while we're supposed to apply austerity measures and cuts everywhere, what do we have?  A minister who violates the law and ordres unilingual business cards for 424.88$ a piece while the bilingual ones costs 197$ each.  I guess this is the real costs of bilinguism in this country...  It costs 3 times as much to satisfy the western anti-french sentiment than to respect the french minority of this country. ;)

Are these cards gold and platinum plated?  :P

Anyway, assuming these are costs per order for similar quantities, what else was different between the two cards? Was he ripped off, or do they have some qualitative superiority (thicker card, for example) over the standard bilingual ones? Because the price difference on the face of it makes no sense (and I say this as somebody who had purchasing as one of their job duties for several years.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Jacob

Quote from: Agelastus on August 02, 2013, 05:33:12 PMAre these cards gold and platinum plated?  :P

Anyway, assuming these are costs per order for similar quantities, what else was different between the two cards? Was he ripped off, or do they have some qualitative superiority (thicker card, for example) over the standard bilingual ones? Because the price difference on the face of it makes no sense (and I say this as somebody who had purchasing as one of their job duties for several years.)

:lol:

I think you're missing viper's point. It's not that he wasted a few hundred bucks (though that's always extra ammunition); it's that he deliberately spent money to take the French language off his cards; contrary to the law/regulation/precedent.

A small but unfriendly gesture with little to explain it except deliberate unfriendliness.

HVC

Or it could be that he ordered cards and didn't think about adding French. Or more likely his assistant ordered cards.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Agelastus

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2013, 06:06:53 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on August 02, 2013, 05:33:12 PMAre these cards gold and platinum plated?  :P

:lol:

I think you're missing viper's point. It's not that he wasted a few hundred bucks (though that's always extra ammunition); it's that he deliberately spent money to take the French language off his cards; contrary to the law/regulation/precedent.

A small but unfriendly gesture with little to explain it except deliberate unfriendliness.

Oh, I understood that. I just wondered if he was a genuine "mark" as well as being stupid (for breaking the law) and biased/bigoted (for doing it in this fashion.)

If he's a genuine "mark" I may have some "swampland in Florida" for him... :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

It would be more disturbing to me if a Minister of the Crown spent any time ordering his own cards.  It is much more likely that someone in his office or someone in a centralized purchasing office accomplished this feat.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2013, 08:14:54 AM
It would be more disturbing to me if a Minister of the Crown spent any time ordering his own cards.  It is much more likely that someone in his office or someone in a centralized purchasing office accomplished this feat.

Fair point.

I expct whoever is in charge of the person who made that mistake will have him fix it in short order.

Malthus

You know you live in a boring time and place (in the Chinese-curse sense), when the details of a politician's business cards form a truly significant public scandal.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 03, 2013, 01:01:20 PM
You know you live in a boring time and place (in the Chinese-curse sense), when the details of a politician's business cards form a truly significant public scandal.  :lol:

Yeah. I mean I understand that a federal minister in a bilingual country should have bilingual business cards.....but yeah, the fact that this is the sort of stuff that makes scandalous news, is one of the reasons this is a great country to live in.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011