News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 01, 2013, 03:02:51 PM
I found it funny that the Western separatist have basically the same grievance from the same point of view just from the other side of the tunnels.

Western separatists are a bunch of idiots. I have more time for Quebecois sovereigntists et. al. than I do for Western separatists.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 03:23:33 PM
I found it funny that the Western separatist have basically the same grievance from the same point of view just from the other side of the tunnels.
Western separatists are a bunch of idiots. I have more time for Quebecois sovereigntists et. al. than I do for Western separatists.
Racist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

Why is that?

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on August 01, 2013, 03:39:32 PMWhy is that?

Context.

Quebecois sovereigntism is grounded in a history of being treated as second class citizen, as well as genuine and significant linguistic and cultural differences. That seems to be a better basis for a separatist movement than whatever petulant crankery gets served up by Western separatists.

Then there's the fact that Quebecois sovereigntists speak for a larger proportion of the population they purport to represent, which gives them more weight than Western Separatists who are primarily a handful of Albertans deciding to speak for the Prairie provinces and BC.

That said, I'm in favour of Canada staying in one piece.

Barrister

I had a lot of sympathy for western separatists.  You should come to Alberta and talk to old-timers about the NEP.  Things were bad, very bad.

Of course that was 30 years ago.  Anyone advocating for western separatism right now is just being silly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Agreed.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2013, 04:16:32 PM
You should come to Alberta and talk to old-timers about the NEP.  Things were bad, very bad.

The Russian Civil War was a pretty bad time alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on August 01, 2013, 03:39:32 PM
Why is that?

Most western separatist types are racist morons.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 04:13:04 PM

Context.

Quebecois sovereigntism is grounded in a history of being treated as second class citizen, as well as genuine and significant linguistic and cultural differences. That seems to be a better basis for a separatist movement than whatever petulant crankery gets served up by Western separatists.

Then there's the fact that Quebecois sovereigntists speak for a larger proportion of the population they purport to represent, which gives them more weight than Western Separatists who are primarily a handful of Albertans deciding to speak for the Prairie provinces and BC.

But there is a history of the west being treated, at least economically, as second class citizens.  The NRTA, NEP, the Wheat Board.  In general most economic decisions made in Ottawa were to the benefit of central canadian manufacturing centre, and to the detriment of the western canadian resource sector.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2013, 04:19:26 PMBut there is a history of the west being treated, at least economically, as second class citizens.  The NRTA, NEP, the Wheat Board.  In general most economic decisions made in Ottawa were to the benefit of central canadian manufacturing centre, and to the detriment of the western canadian resource sector.

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2013, 04:19:26 PM

Context.

But there is a history of the west being treated, at least economically, as second class citizens.  The NRTA, NEP, the Wheat Board.  In general most economic decisions made in Ottawa were to the benefit of central canadian manufacturing centre, and to the detriment of the western canadian resource sector.

You are talking about policies that had limited duration and arguably had benefits for the West as well.  It is in no way similar to the historical roots of the separatist movement in Quebec.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2013, 04:19:26 PMBut there is a history of the west being treated, at least economically, as second class citizens.  The NRTA, NEP, the Wheat Board.  In general most economic decisions made in Ottawa were to the benefit of central canadian manufacturing centre, and to the detriment of the western canadian resource sector.
Which is why separatism is at low tide right now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 04:22:05 PM

Hence the word "history".

But yes this has changed.  The West seems ascendant now in Canada.  Policy decisions are now being made with the resource industries in mind, as manufacturing is a smaller and smaller part of our economic base.

Maximus

Context.

Well, each to their own I guess. One arbitrary list of approved grievances is as good as another.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on August 01, 2013, 05:43:48 PMOne arbitrary list of approved grievances is as good as another.

Well if you arbitrarily declare them arbitrary, then yeah I guess...